Source for quantum tunneling composite?

archer6817j

Enlightened
Hi, no results when I search Maplins. Do you have a link? I contacted a manufacturer but I'm not sure they will be into my request for prototype quantities. I was hoping to find a retailer.

Also, a google search yields a lot of research papers and one manufacturer (the one I contacted) but no retail links. Let me know if you have a secret :)

archer6817j

Enlightened
Great thanks! Since you bought some, would you say the size it suited to flashlight use? It seems pretty thin so I was just wondering what your experience has been like thus far.

MWClint

Enlightened
they are pretty small, but each one can handle up to 10amps. also being so small, they dont take up much space in the body.

archer6817j

Enlightened
You might be able to use it for that if it was a "plunger" as opposed to twisty. I'm just guessing it would be hard to hit the threshold accurately with a twisty.

I'm planning to use it as a dimmer in an unregulated light. Supposed to carry 10 amps...which sounds doubtful but potentially exciting!

nbp

Flashaholic
Would someone want to to order a bunch and split 'em up? I don't want 70, maybe 4 or 5 only. Heck if you sold them off for $0.50 each you'd make some money off it, and I'd take a couple. Anyone?

archer6817j

Enlightened
Just an FYI: I contacted Peratech (they make QTC) and their answers to my inquiries were no, no, and no. Also, QTC is patented by them and "not available anywhere" for retail sale. So, I don't know what is being sold on the net or how long it will be available. However, Peratech will be happy to sell you a technology license for 120k :) don't forget to tack on engineering and manufacturing.

I do know that other conductive foams exist, so maybe the little squares we can buy are not actually QTC?

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apparently this material does not like being subject to side loads when used with a twisty. I think we machinists will have to come up with a very thin device that does not turn or twist when pressure is being applied. Not difficult but the thinner the better.

smarkum

Enlightened
Home of the Jayhawks - Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!
Hello all, I received some QTC yesterday. It was surprising to me as I thought it wasn't in stock and wasn't coming! So, I'm thinking that I will send a couple of pieces to archer and to beamhead and then they can test it and give the details as they see fit. I don't want to be sending out crappy stuff to people. And, other than to stick it in a few of my lights, I don't know how to test it. So, after we hear from them re: the quality of this stuff, I will be open to sending it out to more! I think there are 100 pieces. . .

I hope it is good stuff. I'm going to play with it later today myself!

Last edited: