Easy mod: A flat diffusor for Spark ST5-125OW

ibu

Newly Enlightened
Spark does not offer a diffusor for the ST5 series.

But they offer a frosted lens for the ST6 series.

I simply applied that lens (diameter: 24.6 mm) onto the ST5 (diameter 24.0 mm) with a piece of bicycle tube.

That works very fine.
diffusor-headlamp-st5.jpg

Soon I will receive an all around diffusor (diameter 21.0 mm) in the form of a candle flame, offered by Fenix.

I will post here, if I find a good solution to apply it onto the ST5.

tedh

Newly Enlightened
Nice work! The newer ST5 headlamps come with a diffuser, I think. But I like the way the ST6 diffuser fits on there.

I tried a different Fenix diffuser to add a diffuser to my Zebralight H51. Post is here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...51w-mod-flip-away-diffuser&highlight=diffuser

I had to return my first ST5 because it was defective, but I am planning to try a similar approach on my ST5. It might be another way to put a diffuser on the headlamp, or perhaps will give you a better idea.

Ted

ibu

Newly Enlightened
@tedh
Thanks for the hint to the flip over diffusor for your ZL.

At the end of the year I will replace my ST5 by a ZL H502.
Therefore I will not make the effort to build a flip over (which has of course a better usability than my actual simple solution) for the ST5.

Does anyone know a way to build an all around diffusor (not a flat one) for a ZL 501 (or ZL lamps with a similar form factor)?

An all around diffusor gives IMHO the best type of light in a tent, when you sit there together with friends.

videoman

Enlightened
DC-fix by at berlinwallpaper in the clear frost makes an excellent diffuser, cut to size and has a glue backing to it. Cheap and effective. Another way is to get the clear frost spray aerosol paint made by several mfrs. at all hardware stores. Apply in layers to get the opacity needed. Do not apply too much as it will cut down on the transparency.

ibu

Newly Enlightened
@videoman
Thanks for the hint. I prefer diffusors, which are applicable a lot of times, because I like to change the beam type from time to time.

But may be I need a glueable diffusor for something else.

ryguy24000

Enlightened
I used Scotch tape on my st5 125ow. worked great. the light didn't heat up enough to make the tape melt to the lens. I sent my headlamp bact too because it didn't work with 14500's and flickered a little in medium mode. I will be getting the 190nw to replace the 125ow. should be over 300lm using 14500 and will come with a frosted lens.

tedh

Newly Enlightened
Yes, those were the symptoms I had - the ST5 flickered in medium mode. Also the low mode was very dim, much less than the 5 lumens claimed by Spark. It seems like a common problem with the first ST5 lights.

I think I see what you mean by diffuser. I saw a modification once where someone used the translucent plastic cap from a disposable water bottle. If you can find one the right size, you may be able to fit it over the lens of the H501 or H502. You could make small holes in the cap, and hold it in place with thin cord.

Ted

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
The neutral ST5 I bought also had the same problems, and I returned it to SBF and am now waiting for the new XML version as the replacement.

I've used both DC fix and LDF film; DC-fix is more effective at diffusing light. I've got a piece of DC-fix on my H51w and a piece of LDF film on my SC50w+. The H51 has no discernable hotspot beyond about 5 ft. or so, just a bright center area that gets progressively dimmer as you move toward the edge of the beam profile. The DC-fix has the same behavior, but the distance to hotspot disappearance is about 15 ft or so.

Overall, my preference is for the DC-fix. I'd love to see a comparison between an H51w with DC-fix and an H51Fw.