Anyone heard of "River Rock"? My Pictures

00birdy

Newly Enlightened
I'm an utter and complete newbie.. thought i would start by sharing my only two flashlights.. I know, nothing impressive here. I figured you could probably tell me more about them than I could tell you. I got them from Target a few years ago when they were clearanced for around $12 or so. Haven't seen them in a while so I can only assume they were permanently discontinued. They are certainly cool looking anyway! I like the way the beam has a sharp HID projector look to it.

100_9698.jpg

100_9702.jpg

DaveG

Enlightened
I have quite a few RR lights,good build and bang for the buck.Like you I got mine at Target also,too bad they dont handle them any more.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I had both of those and maybe 5 others... I think they were mostly rebranded Nuwai lights. The 2xAAA lights they had were a great value... they were under $5 when they were clearanced. And the 2xAAA headlamp as well. They finally got down to like $2.48 each and I went to about 5 different Targets and bought about 15 of them. Hell, at $2.48, you're basically buying the batteries and getting a free light.

I've probably given more of those two as gifts than any other light.

00birdy

Newly Enlightened
glad to know they aren't just junk! haha. what makes the beam lines so distinctive? are there any high end lights that would give off similar patterns, but way more lumens?

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
It took them forever to get their site up, but now it is here:

Link

They have a number of lights, as well as the famed cool white version of the Favourlight Mini Lantern. I wish they'd get the warm white version, but, that's a story for another thread. ;)

LEDrock

Enlightened
It took them forever to get their site up, but now it is here:

Link

They have a number of lights, as well as the famed cool white version of the Favourlight Mini Lantern. I wish they'd get the warm white version, but, that's a story for another thread. ;)

Oh my! A website! I gave up long ago looking for a website for this company. I wonder what took so long. I'm not sure these lights are even sold at my Target anymore.

BTW, I own the 2AAA and 2AA version. The AAA was good enough at the time that I ended up with 2.

trooplewis

Newly Enlightened
I had the 2 "C" cell one you show in the photo; kind of a spotlight blu-ish beam. I tried to take it apart and upgrade it, but they glue things together so tight I pretty much destroyed that pretty body, so I threw it out.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have the 2AA one, uses a 1.5 watt nichia LED has a decent color of white but the spotlight beam makes it almost useless for everyday use for me so it basically sits on a shelf. I tried to get it apart to see if I could swap out the glass lens for a reflector but no luck without excessive heating to soften the epoxy or whatever is holding it together. If they had put a reflector in it I think it would have been a favorite light as I love side clicky lights for walking around with.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few years back they were discussed a lot, mostly because they were available at Target and often on sale. I really liked the black 1AA light target carried, it was a great light for non flashaholics. Simple, bright, reflector based, clip, and $20 or less. The small AA lanterns got a fair amount of attention too. At the time I got a 'C' cell light as well, just because it was very hard at that time to find a 'C' cell light at at decent price.

00birdy

Newly Enlightened
glad they finally have a website up! i also searched what felt like the ends of the internet and couldn't find one. what do you guys think about their new product offerings?

Illum

Flashaholic
River Rock products have been in discussion since 2005, similar lights utilizing such collimators came from companies named "Cyclops" and "Aurora." I know for a fact the Aurora ALJ-012AA and its 1xcr123A brother uses Nichia Jupiters, but I am not sure what River Rock uses behind those optics. Most lights I've seen from them that is available near me are 0.5W nichias.

btw, Rock River Arms makes pretty nice guns ;)

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure the 1xAAA and 2xAAA River Rock lights use the 0.5W LEDs and the 2xAA and 2xC lights use the Jupiter.