Preon Revo SS Durable Enough?

seanflash

Newly Enlightened
I am leaning towards the Preon Revo SS version but have two questions:

1) Is there any discussion, website, video documenting the durability/reliability of the Revo ss? Am looking for some long-term ruggedness experience.

2) Can it tailstand effectively, or does the earth have to be on its axis at just the right angle to get it to serve as a candle? Was spoiled with the flat end of the Fenix LOD. Is there a flat ended option?

Thanks! I really appreciate it...this forum is addicting!

gunga

Flashaholic
I've had the revo ss on my keychain for months. Dropped it on concrete a few times. No issues so far. It tailstands, but is tippy.

Still, love it!

bansuri

Enlightened
Same here. A trusty keychain companion.
Got mine as soon as they released the neutrals, tailstand can be affected by how it is hooked on.
It may be the longest I've kept a flashlight. Can't imagine replacing it any time soon.

kalifornian

Newly Enlightened
Just got my new Revo SS today and noticed some issues. The finish looks good but the new S2 LED's beam has a greenish tint on it on low. The UI seems to be inconsistent. Sometimes, it goes from low straight to high. Also, when i turn the head about a 1/4 turn to turn it off, it will still turn on if you push the head in, like when it is on your poclet for example. To make sure it does not turn on accidentally, I have to turn the head a full turn. However, the brass part of the head becomes visible, as if it will fall off when shaken. I am sure it will not but it is just my perception. Additionally, the special modes: strobe, SOS, beacon, the LED stays on between pulses. I'm thinking that this will drain the battery quicker.

Just received it today so I can't comment on durability.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
-s2's have a known greenish tendancy
the 1/4 turn where it will still turn on is because of thread play, it happens. mine does that to i just turn it a little farther and have enver had an issue with it coming on by accident or loosing the head. the brass part of the head is almost always visable, the threads are also brass, and you wont be able to shake the head off if its just unscrewed 1 turn from activation. What do you mean the LED stays on? like full brightness or just a slight illumination?

kalifornian

Newly Enlightened
-s2's have a known greenish tendancy
the 1/4 turn where it will still turn on is because of thread play, it happens. mine does that to i just turn it a little farther and have enver had an issue with it coming on by accident or loosing the head. the brass part of the head is almost always visable, the threads are also brass, and you wont be able to shake the head off if its just unscrewed 1 turn from activation. What do you mean the LED stays on? like full brightness or just a slight illumination?

It was just like what selfbuilt observed in his review of the XP-E R2 version: "Note that the SOS and Beacon modes are a little unusual. The SOS keeps the light on in Lo at all times, and "jumps" up in output to Max for the flashes. The Beacon mode flashes 5 times in increasing output, then stays in constant output on Lo with a single flash every 10 secs."

kalifornian

Newly Enlightened
I also compared it to my wife's Preon 1. Strangely enough,the Preon 1's output was brighter for all modes. My understanding was the S2 was 28% brighter across all modes. The Preon 1 was also able to take 10440 batts; the Revo SS S2 cannot.

However, the Revo SS is smaller overall, has knurling that will enable me to use it one-handed, tailstands (barely), has more than enough lumens for its size and is made of SS which makes it more durable and is better looking in my keychain.

If I need more lumens, I have other lights that will be up to the task.

Grumpy

Enlightened
Mine passed the washing machine test without any marks of any kind and did not stay in pants pocket so it was not protected inside. Absolutely no moisture got inside of the light either. I was amazed and very relieved.

Draz

Newly Enlightened
I just got mine a few hours ago and all I can say is wow. This is my first non american light as I was hesitant to venture off to china for lumens but I must say, this is a fine and what seems to be a very well built light. It has got some heft, about as heavy as a E1L or backup in my opinion. Tint is kinda off at low levels but I feel that that is a very insignificant draw back to an amazing light. I am going right now and ordering a quark Mini AA neutral as im already in love with 4sevens. I have always owned surefire/ malkoff and nothing else but I have seen the future for me anyway and its 4sevens. The only flaw i can find is a rather weak keyring, but that is easily fixed, I actually got a clip from an old photon on mine so I can unclip it quick from keys. It doesnt really feel like a keychain light at all and at 57.00 bucks it is a very expensive keychain light considering you can get a cheapo from walmart for 3 bucks:shakehead

all and all I love it:thumbsup:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lost mine in a rock parking lot and did not know it. I thought it fell out of my pants pocket somewhere at home. 2-3 weeks later I remarkably found something shiny in the rocks of this parking lot - it was my Revo SS! It was scratched and run over by cars but cleaned up well and required a bit of fine grit sandpaper to the finish to take out the deep scatches. But it worked. What did disappoint me was that the reflector had gotten moister behind it. Grated it was several weeks being run over in a gravel parking lot during a heavy rainy season. But it is practically like new now with the fine sandpaper treatment.

This is one of my favorite lights.

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a cool story regulator. I have had my first ReVO survive the washing machine. I forget if I rescued it before it went into the dryer or not. Either way it still works, there was no moisture in it, and it is one of my favorite AAA lights.

claudeswares

Newly Enlightened
For those who dislike the greenish tint of the S2 version, you can always try to find a Neutral White version of the ReVo SS. As with all 4Sevens lights, the NW was a limited run and now require patience to find. I managed to get one from the marketplace and I can't imagine it not being on my key chain.

luceat lux vestra

Enlightened
I lost mine in a rock parking lot and did not know it. I thought it fell out of my pants pocket somewhere at home. 2-3 weeks later I remarkably found something shiny in the rocks of this parking lot - it was my Revo SS! It was scratched and run over by cars but cleaned up well and required a bit of fine grit sandpaper to the finish to take out the deep scatches. But it worked. What did disappoint me was that the reflector had gotten moister behind it. Grated it was several weeks being run over in a gravel parking lot during a heavy rainy season. But it is practically like new now with the fine sandpaper treatment.

This is one of my favorite lights.
Wow that sounds like a unintended torture test. Glad your light survived. Just goes to show that 4sevens are tough lights!!

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow that sounds like a unintended torture test. Glad your light survived. Just goes to show that 4sevens are tough lights!!

I was surprised when I found it and that someone else did not find it first after such a long time. It looks like new after some careful going over with #600 grit fine wet sandpaper. It finish has the fine brushed look that it came with. I have the XPE version and think the tint is great. It has no green! The tint is also leaning towards nuetral which I like a lot.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
mossyoak. does the battery in your ReVO rattle when you loosen the head enough so it does not turn on accidentally?

Not mossy oak but I have found that the rattle issue depends on brand of battery. I have many twist type lights and what I do to prevent battery rattle and make the light feel more solid is to wrap tape around the cells that rattle - problem solved.

kalifornian

Newly Enlightened
Not mossy oak but I have found that the rattle issue depends on brand of battery. I have many twist type lights and what I do to prevent battery rattle and make the light feel more solid is to wrap tape around the cells that rattle - problem solved.

Not a side-to-side rattle but end-to-end. I did notice that the Duracell battery that came with the light was a bit shorter than an Eneloop. I changed it over to the Eneloop. Problem solved.

Thanks.

Darvis

Enlightened
I have four of them that I bought that are in use by me and the family and they have all taken a beating to various degrees with no issues; my personal one more than the rest. Not to the level of Regulator's story, mind you, but it has been part of my holy trinity of camping lights given the super long runtime on low. It's seen plenty of use in rain, mud, sweat from being hung around my neck on a chain, etc. As mentioned, it is a VERY hefty light for its size and I can't imagine damaging it unless I really tried to.

Never had the head unscrew on me, or anything funky happen for that matter. I have, every once in a blue moon, had it skip a level on me and go from low straight to high, but I suspect it's when I don't fully back off and twist back on and, as a result, catch it when it just about breaks contact in a quick "double tap" fashion. I don't notice any flash from the medium level; just appears to go straight to high. This has always happened when I'm in a hurry to get it through the levels... so, I say it's O.E.

Anyway, it's one of my favorite AAA lights, if not my favorite because it's so versitile- ranking right up there with my AAA Peaks in the top spot. It is the only other AAA light in my BOB besides a few Peak Eigers...