Night hiking light with big throw and long runtime?

BIG45-70

Enlightened
I just got back from one of many camping trips I'm taking this summer. We did a night hike threw the forest to a beach. I had a Elzetta M60 with a Malkof M61LLW, I gave a friend a Maglite LED (which is actually pretty good for this purpose) I keep in my truck and another friend bought a cheapo 6 Volt flashlight that died while in the bush. One thing I learned is that you really can't have a bright enough light when moving threw a far off bush in the middle of the night and if that light were to run out of juice it could mean big trouble.

I have a Fenix TK41 but don't consider the nihm AA's to be reliable enough for this purpose. My plans for my next light is something with 500-1000 Lumens and as long of runtime as possible. I'd prefer the batteries to be 18650's and CR123's and the price to be in the $200 mark. Anyone have any suggestions?

Burgess

Flashaholic
Hello BIG45-70 --

You really want 500+ Lumens for hiking through the Forest ? ? ?

Are there any potential threats involved ?
(Bears, etc. )

Otherwise, i'm quite puzzled why you would want so many Lumens.

Been walking in the deep woods, alone, for Decades and Decades now.

Never felt the need for triple-digit Lumen ratings from my flashlight.

( Unless, of course, i encounter a WhatTheHellWasTHAT situation ) :eek:

Regardless, good luck in your Quest.

Stay safe.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Malkoff Hound Dog XM-L is currently sold out and would be over $200 with the MD3 or 4 body but it is right in line with what you want.I am hoping the HD will be available again with a NW XM-L.There might have been a limited run with NW to begin with but I don't remember for sure.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like my LX2 for night hikes. It is a thrower and the low really projects well. For those WTFWT moments the high really lights up what is down range. The low is rated at 47 hours of runtime.

Darvis

Enlightened
Don't count out the Dereelight DBS V3 XM-L, or even an older XR-E version. Great throw for a compact light and you can get a L-M-H rig to preserve runtime.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find the ultra throwers to be kinda limiting. I have lights that'll outthrow the DBS but eventually all you see is this laser beam of light. Most useful for hiking would be a flood or moderate throw. An XM-L P60 has such a useful beam and is compact. It throws from sheer brute force. And the flood makes it useful because you're not constantly flailing the light about because a tight hotspot actually blinds your peripheral vision, remember your vision follows the hotspot. A good flood illuminates anything and you'll be more aware of your immediate surroundings which keeps you safer than spotting a cliff 500 feet away. I'd say get two lights, an XM-L flooder and a moderate to long distance thrower, any thrower will do.

How Goes It

Newly Enlightened
but don't consider the nihm AA's to be reliable enough for this purpose.

I'm curious as to what manner you found the NIMH's to be not as reliable?

I only ask that, as I've used my Eneloops quite a bit, and never found any to fail.

Napalm

Enlightened
Check Surefire, they have plenty of CR123 lights around $200. Not sure if they also deliver the mentioned lumens though.

Nap.

Toaster

Enlightened
If size isn't an issue and you are serious about wanting big output and runtime, then get the Fenix TK70. For your $200 budget, nothing else is gonna come close.

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
I have a Fenix TK41 but don't consider the nihm AA's to be reliable enough for this purpose. My plans for my next light is something with 500-1000 Lumens and as long of runtime as possible. I'd prefer the batteries to be 18650's and CR123's and the price to be in the $200 mark. Anyone have any suggestions?

So you have the light, but you worry about cell reliability and runtime...

Stock up on Eneloops, and if you really want to be paranoid pack some lithium primary AA's along for the trip. That's a lot less than $200...

Napalm

Enlightened
If size isn't an issue and you are serious about wanting big output and runtime, then get the Fenix TK70. For your $200 budget, nothing else is gonna come close.

Until you realize that the specs are for D-size NiMh (real ones not eneloops in a D sleeve). Multiply $38 (Imedion D 2-pack) by 2, add a MH-C808M charger and your budget is nearly gone before you had a chance to look at the light itself.

Nap.

looman

Enlightened
Thrunite Scorpion
has firefly mode
Has digital variable output from very low to very high
has dab on
has strobe but application here is limited
Is compact
Runs on 18650's so spares are easy to carry
Has rotary lock out on tail switch
The V2 is also available with a turbo head if you need extra stonk and extra range and again extra head is hardly big
I also had a Fenix P3D used as an EDC and that was a great little light but it only ran on primary cells. I prefer a light that runs on 18650's and can run on on primary cells as a back up