Streamlight TL-3 Xenon vs. others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinzli

Newly Enlightened
In my newby quest for a bright light, I think the Streamlight TL-3 qualifies, at least from the specs that Streamlight gives. According to the specs, it's 175 lumens, compared to the rest of the "belt-sized" EDC type lights, max coming in around 125 lumens (Pila G3, etc.). SF's E2 is down around 60-something I think.

Is the TL-3 really that much brighter, or are they playing games with the specifications? The only review I've seen lists SL's own specs, and I haven't seen any beamshots of the TL-3 versus other higher-end lights.

I'm looking for maximum brightness for the tactical defense purposes. Runtime isn't a big concern.

Thanks...

doubleganger

Enlightened
I won't go into the definition of 'brightness' as that horse has been beaten into a greasy spot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif
Since I don't actually have one I'll probably get slammed for this...... From what I've read the streamlight tl-3 xenon looks to have the best 'throw' of pocket sized lights under $100. It's on my wishlist. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I would think there claim is a bit high I don't have one yet to compare to other lights. If you what the brightest light in that size range I would suggest a Surefire 3 cell with a 200 Lumen P91 in it. The Surefire should be just a bit smaller than the SL also.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going to order the TL-3 Xenon after handling the TL-3 LED. The light has that certain "feel" that a lot of us talk about, a nice heft, blocky "knurling" that I like better than the sharp stuff on a lot of lights.

The clip is sturdy, and useful.

Quickbeams "Bright Box" tests really put it up there with the big dogs.

Nice price too.

Glad you brought it up, and I talked myself into it. I just ordered my green TL-3 from Brightguy................................

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
For $60-65.00, I don't think anything matches it. It will take the high output lamp assembly in a Surefire M3 to out-project it and then it will only do so for about 20 minutes. Plus, the SF will cost about 3.5 times as much.

Also the SF Lamp Assemblies will cost 4-5 times as much as those for the TL-3 X (which comes with a spare).

The TL-3 X is a flamethrower alright. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Total light output of about 10,000 <font color="red"> QUPS </font>. compared to a Pelican M6 at 5700 and a Surefire M2 (with P61) of 7000 <font color="red"> QUPS </font>. It focuses down to project an intense spot at impressive distance.

See Quickbeam's figures for a bunch of lights at:
Quickbeam's Lightbox Charts

I was fooling around with it last night, shining it up into trees and blinded baby possums and birds were falling out left and right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Lit up a hottie's window from about 50 yards and her curtains caught fire! No kidding! (bweeeep...nose grows 5 inches). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Seriously, it is scratching my itch until I get my G3T built and can afford the mighty SF M6.
BC

PS: After reading John's post I went back and read QB's notes again. I see where I surmised he was giving readings in Lumens from:

"Lumens is the measurement of the overall output. Lumens is all of the light measured no matter where it goes."

But, QB mentioned he didn't have a $10K-20K integration sphere, to accurately measure Lumens. I've edited my post to read <font color="red"> QUPS </font> since the contest is over. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the correction, JohnK ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think those are Quickbeams "light box" units, not Lumens. It should be well over 100 Lumens however.

Somebody pointed out that moving the decimal over two places in QB's numbers gives a "fair" appx. of Lumens, i.e 10,000=100, 6000=60 Lumens. Not exact, but closer than we usually get from the manufacturer.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a TL3 briefly, I was quite impressed with it and threw quite a ways. But I sold it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif, I have a stinger on the way to mod and a Pila G4.

Kinzli, might I suggest the Pila G4, 4x123's at 200lu. $87 from weiusa.com I'm really looking forward to getting this light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Comparing the TL-3 to the M3 isn't fair. The M3 is designed for totally different uses. I'm waiting for somebody to compare it to the 9P or D3...

Sounds like a good flashlight. It's taken them a while to come out with a three cell so they've had time to get it right!

Al

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
Comparing the TL-3 to the M3 isn't fair.

[/ QUOTE ] No it isn't fair, for the M3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif [ QUOTE ]
The M3 is designed for totally different uses.

[/ QUOTE ] Example?[ QUOTE ]
I'm waiting for somebody to compare it to the 9P or D3...

[/ QUOTE ]Why exclude the M3? They're all three cell lights.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
It's more appropriate to compare the TL-3 to the 9P (D3) than to the M3 for reasons outlined by Al, but even in that comparison there are significant differences both in physical design and ergonomics as well as beam type.

In general, I've found the streamlight TL series (TL-2 xenon and LED, TL-3 xenon and LED) unexpectedly impressive. Streamlight designed these lights for brilliance and throw and succeeded admirably. The TL-2 xenon is a few notches below the three long-throw 2x123 champs (Taclite, TACM III, PM6) but it will out throw most other 2x123's including the Surefires with P60 and P61. Of course this is predictable since those SF lamps are designed for the best throw/flood compromise for tactical use whereas the Streamlights go for throw. Similarly, the TL-3 xenon out throws the SF P90 and P91, but the Surefires provide a better flood.

To mention the TL-2 for a moment: it is identical to the NF version except for knurling style and adjustable combat ring and is a small light that is cleverly designed to look even smaller than it is. It looks considerably smaller than the Scorpion. At 4 7/8" it is only 3/16" shorter than the Scorpion's 5 1/16" length. But its 1 ¼" bezel is the same and its .893" body diameter is very close to the Scorpion's .936". At 4.1oz it is a bit lighter than the Scorpions 4.5oz.

The Tl-3 doesn't really have a close physical match in a 3x123 light. It is essentially the TL-2 writ large. However since it maintains the same body diameter as its little brother but mates it to a substantial 1 5/8" bezel, the balance is thrown off and this otherwise excellent light becomes noticeably front heavy, especially if you are hand carrying it thumb up for any period. Aside from that the TL-3 is a very fine light and would probably be your best bet if you want the smallest, longest-throwing 3x123 outside of a SureFire turbo head.

Despite the TL-3's impressive output and throw, the PM6 will still clearly impose its beam upon the Tl-3's at 25' beam on a white surface, and under identical conditions the Tl-3 will do the same to a 9P with P91. Of course the P91's beam is twice the size of the TL-3's so nothing has really been proven by this comparison. Beam measurements are available on Doug's site and elsewhere but I don't think he has tested the 9P/P91 yet.

Here is a brief physical comparison between the TL-3 and the SureFire 9P (D3)

.....……….LGTH……...…BZL DIA………….BOD DIA……….......WT

9P……….6 3/8"…………1 ¼"……………..……1"……………....6.7oz
TL-3…….6 ¼"…………..1 5/8"………………..7/8"……….……6.7oz

Brightnorm

Size15's

Flashaholic
The SureFire M3 is designed and intended to be a "CombatLight". It's beam(s) is designed to provide the operator with the best distribution of light at ranges it is typically used (CQB I believe). It's design with the adjustable CombatGrip is battle-proven, as is the switch design (the push button shape, size, texture, feel, and resistance). The Bezel is larger than most because this creates a more overwhelming impact when shone at/across the eyes of a target (which is different from beam throw).
It's bezel is identical to those used on SureFire WeaponLights. The LM90 is preferred by many operators for shotgun forends and the models such as the M500A, M900A & M96 have been in use for some time and have parts and accessories interchangeability. This is an important point that SureFire offers a range of accessories for it's products (such as the M3) with everything from "Combat Holster" to a selection of BeamFilters, to a TurboHead, to a Spares Carrier. For operational use, the M3 can be rated waterproof to various depths. It can be fitted with a variety of TailCap switch options including rocker switches for constant-on and/or disable switching at the end of cable length required.

In short, the M3 is at the centre of SureFire's illumination tools - it is the true tactical light.

Al

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Al, you had me puzzled but that makes sense. I think the TL series was designed like their duty lights, but obvisously differ from SF's intent.

doubleganger

Enlightened
This deal was just too good to pass up.
Amazon has the tl-3 xenon for 59.99 with free shipping. I noticed this morning that if you apply and are accepted for the amazon visa you get a $30 credit usable for amazon purchases. Plus purchases on the card build up credits for use at amazon. For $29.99 I couldn't resist any longer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
I didn't mention the HA did I?

The M3 is Hard Anodised meeting Mil-A-8625 Type III Class 2.

The TL-3 appears to be a great value flashlight. I may get one myself.

Al

catch228

Newly Enlightened
Great info as always.

I ordered a TL-3 and it should be here next week. Can't wait. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LightofMine

Newly Enlightened
According to the UPS tracking number I should receive my Streamlight TL-3 Xenon from Brightguy Monday. It was $59.95 plus $5.27 shipping. I added 4 more items and the shipping still stayed $5.27.

I keeping looking at Sure Fire but every time I consider the cost I say to myself "No way in H***". To equal or "slightly" surpass the TL-3 in a Sure Fire would cost over $230.00 plus shipping. Is the Sure Fire really 4 times better than the Streamlight? I highly doubt it. Which would you rather have, one high quality light or four high quality lights for the same price? Then there is the operating cost. A replacement Lamp, rated for 20 hours, in the Sure Fire is going to cost about $28.00. I ordered an extra lamp for my TL-3 for $5.25, plus there is an extra in the light. The higher the quality the more the manufacturer has to charge for the product. However, there is only so much quality a manufacture can build into a product. Beyond that they start charging for their name. I am 100% convinced that when you buy a Sure Fire you are also paying for the name. That is the only explanation for their prices.

James

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
LightofMine said:

I keeping looking at Sure Fire but every time I consider the cost I say to myself "No way in H***". To equal or "slightly" surpass the TL-3 in a Sure Fire would cost over $230.00 plus shipping. Is the Sure Fire really 4 times better than the Streamlight? I highly doubt it. Which would you rather have, one high quality light or four high quality lights for the same price? Then there is the operating cost. A replacement Lamp, rated for 20 hours, in the Sure Fire is going to cost about $28.00. I ordered an extra lamp for my TL-3 for $5.25, plus there is an extra in the light. The higher the quality the more the manufacturer has to charge for the product. However, there is only so much quality a manufacture can build into a product. Beyond that they start charging for their name. I am 100% convinced that when you buy a Sure Fire you are also paying for the name. That is the only explanation for their prices.

James

[/ QUOTE ] Exactly! This is why I've been so excited about Streamlights new offerings. I have one SF, an L4, because nobody else makes a comparable EDC with pocket clip. Don't care for their policy or pricing. Like most folks I'm on a budget and Streamlight has always provided me great quality in lights.

Pila is gaining US dealers, I just ordered a G4 and excited about receiving it next week.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
With the TL-2 and NF2 Streamlight now makes the brightest long-throwing 2x123 of its size. Even though it falls short of the three long-throw 2x123 champs (TACM III, TACLITE, PM6) it is the brightest in its size class. You could dispute that by noting the TACM's 4 5/8" length and 3.8oz weight, but its wide bezel and "standard" width body make it a far less convenient carry than the TL-2 which will probably become my incandescent EDC if I can ever bear to part with Nascar's little monster, the E2E/P61.

The D3 is a more comfortable carry and much better balanced than the TL-3 but it isn't designed to be a true long throw light.

Brightnorm

Size15's

Flashaholic
When you buy a SureFire you are paying for the name. The name that invests huge amounts of money in American R&D and manufactures in America.
When you buy a SureFire you are paying for the product support with a huge range of accessories and options. You are paying for a company that has interchangeability across their ranges of WeaponLights and Flashlights.

You are also paying the price of SureFires being in such high demand which is market forces (not an expert on that). The prices go up as well as down with demand.

I don't know where you read that SureFire lamps are rated at 20 hours. The unofficial figure tends to be 25-30 hours and many of my SureFire are clean past that and are still going strong. I've never had a bulb crap out after only 25-30 hours.

Now of course, Streamlight have released quite a few new products and it's about time. It's about time that they offered their alternatives to SureFire and the others. Of course SureFire have already moved on and are concentrating on other things. They don't play the same game as other manufacturers. That's not why they are here.

The tight beams are not what SureFire users need. (WeaponLight and TacticalLight users). Myself, I like tight beams and no amount of bugging PK has made him release tight beam Lamp Assemblies to the public. As an option, it would be nice to have.

I don't see many photos of the TL-3 with other flashlights (other than Streamlights) Have some been posted online already?

Thanks

Al

Status
Not open for further replies.