Which LED flashlight will run the duration in hightest output mode ("turbo")?

flipangle

Newly Enlightened
Which LED flashlight will run the duration in hightest output mode ("turbo")?

Hi, everyone. Thanks for making this forum such a welcoming place for newbies. Anyways, I'm in the market for a smallish LED flashlight. I will be using it around the house and for biking. I was looking at the TK35, PD31, TK21 U2, SC600, etc. At first I was very excited at finding such small flashlights that have such awesome light output. I didn't know that LED technology had advanced so far! Then I got less excited when I read more and more threads. It seems that even though many of these lights have "turbo" mode, the turbo mode can only be used for a few minutes before the light steps down to "high" mode. I want something REALLY bright that will run for as long as possible on its hightest setting. The brighter the better. Any recommendations? Thanks!:)

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might have to investigate some other brands.

I really like the Sunwayman V20C. It might suit your needs. Or the Jetbeam Jet III-M XM-L, PC25 or RRT-21. Or a Solarforce L2p and a nailbender 3A XM-L dropin.

Last edited:

flipangle

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions. Just trying to get the most brightness for my buck. Right now thinking about the PD31, TK21, TK35, and RRT21

Last edited:

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Which LED flashlight will run the duration in hightest output mode ("turbo")?

The difference in lumens to our eyes is not so great once you reach 100s of lumens. Our eyes don't function this way, that is they perceive brightness in a logarithmic fashion. In other words a jump from 1 to 10 lumens is very noticable, but a jump from 200 to 400 lumens is not. When I first started purchasing flashlights I was interested in the largest lumen numbers and throw possible. That soon changed and now I recommend the HDS rotary/clicky after owning one. Smallish is subjective, if you are talking about EDC pocket carry I recommend the HDS, if you are referring to holster or slightly larger carry I think you are on the right track in the OP.

You may also want to specify your budget, battery requirements, etc. There are amazing people here that know much more than I do, they can give suggestions for very specific applications. I would also be concerned about a bike mount for the light, which I know absolutely nothing about.

Anyhow, based on your post I suggest you look at the TK35 from what I have read here. It seams to have a nice beam for your use, but I suggest you research any light you consider purchasing very thoroughly. Also research 18650 batteries if you go this route... In a nutshell I recommend researching/reading about them on CPF for a long time, charging often, get a Pila charger, and protected AW 18650 2900mah cells.

Last edited:

Toaster

Enlightened
Re: Which LED flashlight will run the duration in hightest output mode ("turbo")?

What kind of biking do you do? For road biking and commuting I recommend the 4Sevens Maelstrom X10 over any of your choices. It has incredible output, throw, and runtime for such a compact light. For mountain biking I would lean towards the SC600 for it's more floody beam profile. TK35 is more powerful than either but I find it's just too large to stay put on the handlebars, plus the step down is annoying.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast

What kind of biking do you do? For road biking and commuting I recommend the 4Sevens Maelstrom X10 over any of your choices. It has incredible output, throw, and runtime for such a compact light. For mountain biking I would lean towards the SC600 for it's more floody beam profile. TK35 is more powerful than either but I find it's just too large to stay put on the handlebars, plus the step down is annoying.

The SC600 will also step down from its turbo mode, but you don't have to put it into that mode if you don't want. Just put it in high and it should give you plenty of light.

If you want a light that you can use for biking AND as an EDC, look into the SC60's. They're not as bright as the 600, but still get plenty bright, are much more EDC-able than the 600, and still have crazy-long burn times on the low and medium settings.

Philonous

Newly Enlightened

I didn't know the TK35 steps down. The SC600 definitely does, but I was under the impression that the TK35 stays roughly at max ouput for an hour and 40 minutes.

flipangle

Newly Enlightened
I do both road and mountain biking. As for the TK35, I heard if you run it off CR123s, it won't step down whereas it will step down with 18650s. My main problem with it is the weird shape which makes it difficult to mount on a bike.