Klarus XT20 Review

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Klarus XT20 uses 2 Cree XM-L U2 Leds.

KlarusXT20001.jpg

KlarusXT20003.jpg

KlarusXT20005.jpg

Comes with a lanyard, split ring, 4 o-rings, rear rubber boot cover and tactical ring.

KlarusXT20006.jpg

A holster is included.

KlarusXT20007.jpg

No tactical ring installed.

KlarusXT20047.jpg

Tactical ring installed.

KlarusXT20049.jpg

Tactical ring can be reversed but the o-ring that sits in front of the tactical ring should be removed. O-ring can be seen fron the side but once removed there is play forward and aft.

KlarusXT20050.jpg

KlarusXT20017.jpg

Uses 2 Cree XM-L U2's.

KlarusXT20009.jpg

KlarusXT20026.jpg

This Klarus XT20 came with SMO reflectors.

KlarusXT20027.jpg

Stainless Steel Bezels

KlarusXT20028.jpg

Rear view of the head.

KlarusXT20042.jpg

KlarusXT20030.jpg

Working voltage: 7.0V - 14.0V

Battery: 2, 18650/ 4, CR123A

Thick battery tube.

KlarusXT20013.jpg

KlarusXT20043.jpg

Front of battery tube.

KlarusXT20044.jpg

Rear of battery tube.

KlarusXT20045.jpg

Inside view of the rear forward clickie.

KlarusXT20040.jpg

Upper button is a forward clickie on / off. Lower button, mode switch controls the levels. High, medium then low.

You can access strobe by holding down the mode button for more than 0.8 seconds in any level.
To get out of strobe press the mode button or you can click on the upper button to shut off the strobe. You can also press the mode button to turn on the strobe. Release the mode button strobe shuts off. It's a momentary strobe.

KlarusXT20015.jpg

Cannot tail stand.

KlarusXT20016.jpg

The holster with XT20 installed.

KlarusXT20036.jpg

KlarusXT20023.jpg

KlarusXT20021.jpg

KlarusXT20034.jpg

KlarusXT20035.jpg

This is run time and lumens from Klarus.

KlarusXT20R.jpg

KlarusXT20.jpg

I took lux readings with 2 AW Protected Black 3.7V 220mAh Li-Ion batteries fully charged. I used a Meterman LM631 Light Meter.

Klarus XT20, low - 120 lux @ 1 meter

Klarus XT20, medium - 4,000 lux @ 1 meter

Klarus XT20, high - 13,880 lux @ 1 meter

Beam shots using 2 fully charged Redilast Protected 3.7V 2900mAh Li-Ion Batteries.

Klarus XT20, High @ 96" *(In real life the wall beam shot looks white with a very very slight green tint around the hot spot).

KlarusXT20053.jpg

Klarus XT20, Low @ 32'

KlarusXT20056.jpg

Klarus XT20, Medium @ 32'

KlarusXT20055.jpg

Klarus XT20, High @ 32'

KlarusXT20054.jpg

Klarus XT20, High @ 45'

KlarusXT20057.jpg

Klarus XT20, High @ 138'

KlarusXT20061.jpg

Klarus XT20, High @ 158'

KlarusXT20060.jpg

Klarus XT20, High @ 146' or 44.5 meters

KlarusXT20058.jpg

Klarus XT20, High @ 210' or 64 meters

KlarusXT20059.jpg

I was very surprised how small the Klarus XT20 is. I was expecting a longer and heavier light. Even in the shipping box the XT20 felt light. I thought the Klarus XT20 would come in a larger box.

The Klarus XT20 looks like it's made very good.

The Type III Hard Anodize is excellent with no flaws in the finish. Color matching between parts is excellent.

The threads came lubed. They are very smooth. Threads are not square. Uses single o-rings.

AW's Black Protected Black 3.7V 220mAh Li-Ion batteries and my Redilast Protected 3.7V 2900mAh Li-Ion batteries fit with no problems.

The tactical ring fits loose, spins easy. I like tactical rings that don't move. It's on the hard side trying to access the levels using on hand holding the tactical ring. On / off using the tactical ring is no problem for me.

The rear clickie can be accessed very easy in different positions. Both the on / off and mode switch in the "tactical postion" (holding the XT20 over hand) not using the tactical ring.The action to push on / off is just right. Not too hard or soft. The mode switch is the same way. The forward clickie is a plus.

My version of the Klarus XT20 uses 2 smooth reflectors. I've read that the first shipment of some XT20's had one smooth and one orange peel reflector. The description said the XT20 supposed to come with 2 orange peel reflectors. The pictures also show 2 orange peel reflectors. I don't know if various options will be sold. I like smooth reflectors and I'm glad this Klarus XT20 came with them.

The beam tint on this version of the Klarus XT20 is very white compared to the other XM-L U2's I have. I think I have about 5+ lights that use the XM-L U2's. Most of them have the green tint around the hot spot. I do see a very slight doughnut hole in the hot spot.

The light levels seem well spaced out. Low is a good low for reading.

I'll leave the actual run times to other reviewers that are set up to do them.

The Klarus XT20 cannot tail stand.

The holster is a nice touch. It's built tough. The only issue I have when using the tactical ring it tends to catch through the bottom of the holster installing or removing, more so on removing the XT20.

I like that the Klarus XT20 comes with a lanyard, split ring, 4 o-rings, rear rubber boot cover, holster and tactical ring.

Last edited:

john-paul

Newly Enlightened
I like it! I will have to see if I can sneak another odd looking light into the house.

scaramanga

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review, ordered mine from Going Gear but still awaiting shipment. Am hoping to get the OP reflector, as shown on their website. The dual head design leaves a lot to be desired but I personally like it. Something out of the ordinary to break the monontony of my other flashlights.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
My version of the Klarus XT20 uses 2 smooth reflectors. I've read that the first shipment of some XT20's had one smooth and one orange peel reflector. The description said the XT20 supposed to come with 2 orange peel reflectors. The pictures also show 2 orange peel reflectors. I don't know if various options will be sold. I like smooth reflectors and I'm glad this Klarus XT20 came with them.

Here's a pic of what I received (smooth and orange peel mix).

110903-083.jpg

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review, ordered mine from Going Gear but still awaiting shipment. Am hoping to get the OP reflector, as shown on their website.

This pic I posted above was what I received from Going Gear, and from what Going Gear was saying it sounded like the mixed reflector version is what they got from Klarus.

I find it odd that Klarus would show the orange peel version in the stock advertising pics and descriptions, sent out versions with smooth reflectors for the first few initial reviewers (that is, assuming all initial reviewers got smooth reflectors, which might be a bad assumption), and deliver mixed smooth/orange peel in what seems to be the first sales batch. Maybe they feel the mixed version gives the best balance.

Last edited:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
My beam with the 2 smooth reflectors has a very slight hole in it's beam. Maybe that's why they went with the SMO and OP reflectors.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
My beam with the 2 smooth reflectors has a very slight hole in it's beam. Maybe that's why they went with the SMO and OP reflectors.

Yes....kind of a tiny, dead-center "darker" spot (very small)? I notice if I cover the orange peel side, I see a tiny dark spot. If I cover the smooth side, I no longer see it. If I use both as intended, I can still make out the tiny dark spot (barely), but would probably not have otherwise noticed it (that is, if I hadn't tried using the smooth reflector alone and becoming aware of it). I never noticed it in real use outdoors, but only in wall tests.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like it could be quite front heavy if you hold it with your thumb on the switch.

I feel that it is indeed a bit awkward when held for as you describe for the momentary function. I think this XT20, like the Spark SL6-470NW, would benefit from a second switch placed forward on the body near the head. Something like below would, I think, be a nice touch.

110903-086a_mock_switch.jpg

scaramanga

Newly Enlightened
This pic I posted above was what I received from Going Gear, and from what Going Gear was saying it sounded like the mixed reflector version is what they got from Klarus.

I find it odd that Klarus would show the orange peel version in the stock advertising pics and descriptions, sent out versions with smooth reflectors for the first few initial reviewers (that is, assuming all initial reviewers got smooth reflectors, which might be a bad assumption), and deliver mixed smooth/orange peel in what seems to be the first sales batch. Maybe they feel the mixed version gives the best balance.

the dual head is quite odd looking, now compounded by the mixture of OP & smooth. I'm hoping to get the OP for BOTH heads, just as what Klarus have posted at their site. Time to contact Going Gear, pronto! Oh and thanks for the heads up.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
the dual head is quite odd looking, now compounded by the mixture of OP & smooth. I'm hoping to get the OP for BOTH heads, just as what Klarus have posted at their site. Time to contact Going Gear, pronto! Oh and thanks for the heads up.

Actually, the mix of smooth and orange peel reflectors doesn't seem all that noticeable under normal conditions when looking at the flashlight itself. That is, looking at the head of the flashlight itself, unless you look pretty closely and in the right light, you might not even notice the mix of reflectors. I wonder, too, if different reviewers of this light might have received different versions (some OP, some SMO, some mixed) and whether Klarus might have made their decision to mix the reflectors based on reviewer feedback (just speculating).

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like this light :) only problem for me is now, where can I get it in Europe ?

It looks like there are at least a couple of UK dealers...and it's already showing up on eBay UK as shipped from Hong Kong (if those are options for you).

kj2

Flashaholic
It looks like there are at least a couple of UK dealers...and it's already showing up on eBay UK as shipped from Hong Kong (if those are options for you).
eBay is possible if shipped from EU. Shipping from HK is no option because of customs-fees.

Latest posts