Greatest thrower SC60 sized or smaller?

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
For daily carry in jeans the SC60 is just about my size limit. Now I love my SC60w and it and it's little brother, SC30w, will likely remain my EDCs for a long time to come. But I would like to add an SC60 sized (or smaller) thrower to the mix. Could ya'll help me find something?

Here is the criteria...

1. No asphericals. I already have one.
2. Battery life doesn't matter.
3. Lumens don't matter...only LUX.
4. Diameter should be SC60 sized (25.4mm which is 1")
5. Length should be SC60 sized (or at least fairly close...114mm which is 4.5" would be the absolute limit.)
6. It will need to be heavily overdriven.
7. Larger emitters like the XM-L, SST-50, SST-90 need not apply for a light with a head that's only 25.4mm. They would be floody.
8. A custom build would be fine and might be the only way to get what I really want.

I'll start it off with a something for ya'll to beat.

The Jetbeam BC10 is 23mm x 90mm and hits 7000 lux@1m when using RCR123s. It's HEAVILY overdriven when using the RCRs (it goes into direct drive) and registers 470L out the front according to Selfbuilt's testing. Now that's STOUT for an XP-G! http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?312793

So, what can out throw the BC10 that's under 25.4mm x 114mm? I have looked a bit and this is the best I've found so far.

I think the ultimate would be to have the DEFT-EDC's engine in a smaller host but with a reflector instead of the aspheric lens. That tiny XP-C is driven to 1.4A! The spec sheet says .5A is the limit but somehow saabluster makes it work (and work well) at 1.4A. I have one and I am amazed that it never gets hot during extended running, just warm. It never seems to dim either. 40,000 LUX! A very cool light that I highly recommend but, I also want something more practical to EDC that has at least some spill. The DEFT-EDC has zero...very laser like.

I think a light like I am describing would be a hot seller on CPF.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is going to be an SC60 sized light or smaller then I doubt you will find success in achieving throw out of it. Not wanting aspherics also rules out all possibilities. You would need a much bigger and deeper reflector to achieve more throw. I guess that is why you are not getting any response?

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I guess it just depends on how much throw you're looking for as to whether a SC60 sized light can get the job done.

The BC10 I mentioned above does 7000 lux and is actually a bit smaller than the SC60. That's not bad. But, let's say we popped a hard driven (1.4A) XP-C into a reflector that is ~25mm, smooth, and deep. The 1.4A XP-C should have roughly double the surface brightness of an extremely hard driven XP-G. So might this mean we could see 15K lux? Perhaps more with the smooth, deep reflector?

That would be cool. :cool: I'm shocked no one has tried this.

yowzer

Enlightened
Surefire E1B is the same length, but slightly wider diameter at its thickest point. Throws like a little monster for its size and output.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
no asphericals
4.5" x 1"
7000lux

I could tell you about sightly less throw in smaller body (6,900 lux, 4.25" x .86"), or a little more in a slightly longer body (7,340 lux, 4.7" x 1"), but looks like nothing beats the bc in both size AND throw so far (without optics). You found the winner!

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
As mentioned, DEFT-EDC. He will also convert some P60 hosts. Nailbenders P60 optic XRE is prob up there.

jax

Newly Enlightened
how about a malkoff VME head on a surefire E1B body,with nailbenders p60 XR-E with optic? would this work?
or malkoff m60 in VME head,surefire E1B body? maybe more than 7000 lux can be had here
or a E1B stock except,a custom driver pushing its XR-E way harder,because like the other poster said E1B throws really well.
also note that the malkoff VME head is 1.125'' which is close to your max head diameter of 1"...
anybody tried any of these setups and measured lux on them?

Gary123

Enlightened
...... Not wanting aspherics also rules out all possibilities. You would need a much bigger and deeper reflector to achieve more throw....

That is not exactly true, but it may rule out production lights. There are optics, not aspherics, such as made by Ledil and Fraen, but then you would likely be entering custom territory.