May I please have some help with this tailcap ? Surefire pros, come on in.

Chicago X

Enlightened
Hi Guys and Gal, (hey, just playing the odds:whistle:)

I recently acquired this Surefire tailcap, and I have no idea what it is.

It came with the tailcap rubber and an internal o-ring, but no guts/electronics. I stuck a McClicky switch in there, using the o-ring as a retainer, and it works passably with a 6P.

Does anyone know what this was used for originally? Thanks in advance.

Pics:

photo34-1.jpg

photo33-1.jpg

Once again, THE GUTS DID NOT COME WITH THIS SWITCH.

photo32-2.jpg

The finish is very nice OD grey/green, with very sharp edges - presumably for grip. Anodizing is one of the nicer examples I've seen. Now, I just wish someone could please tell me what it is.
:)

Chicago X

Enlightened
I think you nailed it, archimedes. That looks exactly like it.

It would appear that it originally was a part of a tape switch assembly, from the pic.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I think you nailed it, archimedes. That looks exactly like it.

It would appear that it originally was a part of a tape switch assembly, from the pic.

:) Now a real expert (like Size15's or AoW) can probably chime in here with the part number :popcorn:

Last edited:

Chicago X

Enlightened
I think I found it...a UMXX switch. (XX being length)

eg, UM07.

Thanks again for your help.

Size15's

Flashaholic
It's more likely to be the the TailCap housing from an UU/SU, rather than UM. These are remote tape pressure switch TailCaps for the Millennium Series Universal WeaponLights.

The UU/SU [name change to differentiate from the Classic Uxx] featured a remote switch assembly like the Classic WeaponLight "Sxx" whereas the UM featured a remote switch socket assembly along with an 'STxx' plug-in remote tape pressure switch. Without the plug-in remote switch the UM with it's remote switch socket assembly is "UM00".
Seen here:
SureFire%20XM%20&%20UM%20&%20SW02%20TailCaps%202.jpg

With the guts (aka remote switch socket assembly) removed:
UMxx%20in%20bits%20unplug.jpg

I'd have to check my UM07 but I don't recall it having an o-ring like the Classic U06 does (see it in the photo with the S06 remote tape pressure switch assembly removed from the TailCap Housing). Notice how the S06 is designed for that o-ring whereas the UM socket assembly has the o-ring 'built-in'.

I don't recall ever having seen this style of TailCap housing being sold/used with a push button pressure switch

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
This TailCap was designed for the MH90 Millennium Universal Housing Body that even after the many diets its been on still retains the thickness at the mount attachment points. This TailCap is obviously too thick for flashlight or Classic WeaponLight bodies:

P346.jpg