Making the Coast HP7 a better light

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
I'm sure this light has been reviewed here already so I thought I would do something a little different.
Instead of just saying the light sucks (It doesn't) I thought I would take this decent light and give some changes that would make it into a great light.

Being able to change from spot to wide beam is a great idea BUT...How many times is any body going to use any of the in-between settings? also the spot really could be a little tighter.

Suggestion #1) Ditch the infinite beam adjustment and replace it with a three position dial. Small spot big spot and flood

being able to lock the zoom in place is a good idea but the lock on this light just plain sucks. There is no detent for the lock -When you turn the ring to lock the zoom there's no click to let you know it's been locked. When you want to lock the zoom it isn't obvious that it has been locked and when you don't want it to be locked there's no obvious way to tell that it has been locked so you stand there for a couple of seconds trying to figure out why the thing won't zoom. Also the lock is pathetically weak. Even when the zoom is locked you can still move the zoom just by pushing hard enough to put it in a holster.

Suggestion #2) Ditch the moving barrel to change the focus. Make the light an inch longer and make the zoom internal like camera lenses. This would also make the zoom lock unnecessary because the outside of the light wouldn't move - The zoom mechanism would all be inside the light.

The mode selection on this light is just plain silly.

Suggestion #3) Soft click=momentary on at max. Soft click#2=medium momentary Soft click #3=low momentary Hold soft click for three seconds=strobe@10hz
Full press#1=full power constant on Full click#2=medium constant on Full click #3=low constant on full press and hold for three seconds =strobe@20hz

Four AAA cells isn't a great battery choice. Ditch the battery carrier and power this light with an 18650.

Suggestion #4) This light is just screaming for a brighter emitter. 350-500 lumens would be perfect.

Suggestion #5) This light needs at least some kind of rudimentary regulation.

Now all we need is for somebody to build it :) :)

cccpull

Enlightened
Led Lenser builds the M7R which runs on a 18650, it's regulated, and has a tighter focus. They also have the M14 which runs on 4aa batteries.
Coast has other models with 300 plus lumen. If you change to xpg or xml, for increased output you might loose some of the throw it has. They also have models that are turn (instead of slide) to focus..
I've been considering the HP7, but I'm a little turned off by the loss in throw over the Led Lenser models.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have HP 7's in 360 lumens in silver n black (w/ eneloop pros), the 251 models in silver n black on the way, the TAC model and the rechargeable.
Guess Ima HP7 fan boy.

But if you want a light at Coast prices consider the Lux-Pro lights (from Lowes) for a little bit less. They'll make great gifts for those check out counter purchasers looking for a decent adjustable flashlight.

Last edited:

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Geez, 530 now? How many lumens levels of this light have there been over the years? I bought mine last year, the 410 lumens version.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you change to xpg or xml, for increased output you might loose some of the throw it has.

If you want to keep a smaller emitter for better throw, why not trash that ancient, inefficient cool white XP-G (or whatever other stone age emitter it may use) and replace it with a nice 90+ cri, 4000K Nichia 219C? More lumens. AND you lose that nasty angry blue.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
There will always be the HP7. It just sells for Coast. I have always wanted to use one as a project host. No PWM electronics, better electronics nothing over the top just basic. Go for 700 lumens OTF. Having to keep feeding any HP7 AAA cells is still a PIA though. That is not much capacity at all. The HP7 has more than enough room for all this and likely even some kind of extra heat sinking.