Buying from a distance

sweetlight

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered a new Fenix E11. I am hoping that it will relieve my Fenix L1T. It is rated brighter, has a longer runtime and looks like it has good knurling. But like many of the lights that I(and assume we) buy its without actually seeing it and holding it. Holding is a big factor, I believe in the lights that we come to love. Sure we can return a light if we dont like it but that can be a pain and have costly two way shipping fees. I'm thinking that could be a big reason that some of us end up with many lights. It is fun to get something in the mail, but I've come to the point where I try not to do it too often. Any thoughts on this?

Glock 'em down

Newly Enlightened
This happens to me a lot too. I'm not quite the flashlight nerd as most here but I do have a severe habit when it comes to flashlights. I think you'll like the Fenix E11. Of course, I don't know exactly what your intended use for the light is. If it's for an EDC light, beware of pocket carry. I tried that with mine and wound up with a hot pocket when the tailcap button got inadvertantly activated.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've been pretty lucky over the years with my lights. Before ordering I'll try to read every review, so I haven't really been disappointed much. The way lights are analyzed here, you generally know what to expect. That's not to say I haven't bought lights on impulse. Sometimes you just can't help yourself.

Geoff

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't have purchased close to half (possibly more then half of) the lights I bought "IF" I had the opertunity to try it before buying it!

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like Flying Turtle, I do a lot of research before buying a light, so I haven't had much negative experience (well, only one if I don't count flashlights bought from the store). Every now and then I get the intuition and urge to buy something that has not been CPF proofed yet, but I seem to have a great intuition so far...

kkeyser

Newly Enlightened
I agree with the above posters, I try to read as much as possible prior to buying. Like most here, if they don't carry it at target, walmart or home depot, I won't be able to hold it before I buy it.

Buying that first light is the hardest. You have no idea how bright it is or what a lumen is, you think it's crazy to spend more than $20 on a flashlight, and what could be better than a maglite? A few months down the road you are looking at how to add trits to your titanium light that you may or may not ever carry.

I don't think I've been disappointed yet. There have been lights I have liked more than I thought I would, and others that I liked less, but none that I wanted to return or sell, even if I could have returned them free of charge.

Insert the obligatory 'thank you, selfbuilt' and all the others who share their reviews and takes on lights.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holding is a big factor, I believe in the lights that we come to love.
I think you hit the nail on the proverbial head. How a light feels in the hand, and how easy it is to use and carry are the big factors that can't be totally known until you actually have the light physically in your hands and try out the UI, which is why buying from reputable dealers with a good return policy is so imporant.

Of course, as other's have mentioned, it's also important to do the research before spending our hard earned money, and why we are so fortunate to have members who are willing to share their time and expertise reviewing the countless new lights that come on to the market in any given year.

I can't really afford to "collect" lights, as I have several other even more expensive hobbies, so all the lights I buy end up getting used frequently or they get sold over on the Marketplace.

All-in-all, I've found the little bit of money it's cost me reselling lights that didn't work out for some reason or another, was well spent in giving me hands on experience with that light. A very fair trade for a lot of fun.

sweetlight

Newly Enlightened
I think you hit the nail on the proverbial head. How a light feels in the hand, and how easy it is to use and carry are the big factors that can't be totally known until you actually have the light physically in your hands and try out the UI, which is why buying from reputable dealers with a good return policy is so imporant.

Of course, as other's have mentioned, it's also important to do the research before spending our hard earned money, and why we are so fortunate to have members who are willing to share their time and expertise reviewing the countless new lights that come on to the market in any given year.

I can't really afford to "collect" lights, as I have several other even more expensive hobbies, so all the lights I buy end up getting used frequently or they get sold over on the Marketplace.

All-in-all, I've found the little bit of money it's cost me reselling lights that didn't work out for some reason or another, was well spent in giving me hands on experience with that light. A very fair trade for a lot of fun.

Yes, I too am not a collector of lights. I like having a few different lights but If I buy it, its for a reason. Alot of guys here are collectors so if they buy something even if it doesn't feel right in the hand or function exactly how they thought, it doesn't matter as much as it will probably just sit on a shelf. This site is like virtual owning, you will learn alot about a light except for holding it. And thats a biggie for me. In the past I've sold a few and thats cool but at this point I try and be precise but alas it cant always be.

Glad you like your E11. Thats what I'm waiting on now. Hows the knurling? Feels good?