How do you track your eneloops(or other NiMH rechargeables)

glendayle

Newly Enlightened
I've recently purchased some new eneloops. I plan to continue to add to my collection until I've completely rid my home of alkalines with eneloop rechargeables. Although, I'm realizing that I have a lot more batteries in things than I thought. I'm thinking at the end of the day I will have about 40 or so AA and 40 or so AAAs.

Anyway. I also purchased the Maha MC-9000 charger. I've been doing the "break-in" setting on all of them. The 1st set just finished tonight and I started a 2nd set which will be done in a couple of days. I took a label maker and labeled all of the batteries. I took the readings and wrote down the voltage and the capacity. Just curious what tracking methods you guys keep out there. What should I be tracking? How should I pair/rotate my collection. Do any of you have premade excel spreadsheets that you track information on that you'd be willing to share?

Thanks in advance

Phanatic

Newly Enlightened
I think it's a common problem. I have about 30 Eneloops, both AA and AAA, and I started with the best of intentions by diligently labeling all of them with a permanent marker and testing them (I have the BC-700 charger) and writing down all of the results. After about a year of use, recharging, and redeploying them to different devices, I must admit I don't even know where they all are anymore. One day I tried to find them all and could only come up with about half of them. Unless they grew legs and walked away they are still around here somewhere. If you can keep track of 80 Eneloops, you are a better man than I.

-P

Wrend

Enlightened
I have well over 100 Eneloop AA and AAA cells now.

I discharge them on the C9000 at 100mA when I first get them, then run a break-in test on them (1900mAh for the AAs and 800mAh for the AAAs). I then match them by their capacities for however many cells I need to have in a particular set. I only ever use the same cells in the same set at the same time.

I label them with a small piece of masking tape which I first wrote down their designated serial number on. Such as: 3S010C2 (For 3 cell series set, set number 10, cell number 2).

I write down the info for each cell in a log book that contains the cell's capacity, relative internal resistance, and of course which set it is in.

In general I do not keep track of cell cycles.

If a cell within a set ever diverges from the others in performance I can demote it to single cell use and make a new lower cell count set out of the other cells.

I keep extra sets for each kind of set that I use and leave all of them charged up and ready to use at all times. This way whenever a set is depleted in a device I can just switch it out with a charged set and put the depleted set on the charger without having to wait for anything to charge. Each set gets used in order of least recently recharged first and rotated through.

Also, thought I should add that I charge the AAs at the default 1000mA and the AAAs at 400mA. I leave them on my C9000s for a total of about 5 hours to slowly top them off at a more fully charged and balanced state after they're "done." Based on my capacity measurements, this does not overcharge them.

Last edited:

egrep

Enlightened
How long it is until Wapner comes on? Ten minutes to Wapner. Ohhh… ten minutes to Wapner. .

;)

Last edited:

Wrend

Enlightened
How long it is until Wapner comes on? Ten minutes to Wapner. Ohhh… ten minutes to Wapner. .

;)

Rain Man?

Don't be jealous of my battery skills. :nana:

At least I use them and don't stock pile them in my frezer for when the bomb drops.

Just looking after my investment.

Last edited:

ttoshi

Newly Enlightened
Most of my cells perform equally well, but when one of the cells of four (for example) is worn down, then I will put it through a refresh cycle and if it is lower than the expected capacity, then I will write 1600 on it for an expected 2000 cell, so I can pair them with other cells of similar capacity...

Toshi

egrep

Enlightened
I'm an engineer -and- I'm autistic (really). OF COURSE I'M JEALOUS! :)

I really like how you've got it nailed down to the most delicate details. Your naming convention, strict set matching (and reducing) and record keeping are sublime and delightful.

I am the rain man, but you sir are an inspiration. I'm absolutely and 100% sincere about all of this.

Rain Man?

Don't be jealous of my battery skills. :nana:

At least I use them and don't stock pile them in my frezer for when the bomb drops.

Just looking after my investment.

Wrend

Enlightened
OK, I'll take you at your word, and thanks for the compliment.

I am definitely more into batteries than most other people. It's a kind of a hobby of its own.

glendayle

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have a spreadsheet they use? I suppose I could make my own, but I was hoping someone already had one they would be willing to share.

Wrend

Enlightened
I made a Google documents spreadsheet, but I honestly haven't gotten around to using it. It's easier just to jot down the values in a notebook.

I know of at least one, and can probably find more spreadsheets for you on battery values, if you really want, but it's more of a personal preference as to what you want to record.

The reason I don't bother recording cycle life in general is because it isn't really relevant to what I need to know about the cells. I have what I have and what I can get from that beyond the steps I take to get the most out of my cells is what it is, so there isn't any real reason to record cycle life other than to do testing of how well the cells perform. That is something I may publish at a later date when the results are in. :thumbsup:

I'll just say that I expect my Eneloop cells, as I'm currently using them, to last me at least 10 years, and if wearing out by age alone isn't a factor, probably about 30 years.

Last edited: