L1 Resistor Question???

jac2001

Newly Enlightened
Evening folks,

Got a quick question.....I got brave tonight and pulled my L1's tail cap apart and dropped in a 150 ohm resistor. The resulting low is comparable to the low on my G5 Maelstrom. Problem is that I'm getting intermittent operation on low. It'll work in reverse, high, then low.
Or sometimes it'll work, sometimes it won't. Changed the orientation as well, and no change.

Any ideas????

Thanks,

J

Last edited:

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi then low sounds like you have a short, maybe a loose piece of solder or wire hanging thru the resistor board??
Did you remove the rubber boot? Unscrew the boot retaining ring. There is a plastic pin that holds the switch in place.

jac2001

Newly Enlightened
I agree. Sounds like a short.

Re-soldered everything this afternoon, replaced higher 150 ohm resistor with a 100 ohm one.
For some reason, I now have a 3-mode dual stage twisty!!! Who knew!?!?
:duh2:

J.

jac2001

Newly Enlightened
Also, the lowest mode is quite a bit lower than the moonlight 0.02lm on my Maelstrom!

J.

jac2001

Newly Enlightened
LOL!

I don't get it either! I know it's not really right, but as long as I always get high on the full press of the switch, whatever!
:shrug:

I'm going to tinker with it some more and see if I can't make the low mode more consistent, ie, just two modes. I'm thinking it may be related to the depth of the leads in the board.

We'll see.

J.