Problem with my RRT3

chadg

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I have read this forum for a while, but not had a need to post before. I saved my money to buy a RRT3, but am now having a serious problem. Last week I opened my locker and there was a horrible stench coming from my RRT3. I took out the 18650s and they were kind of slimy and smelled just like poop (and I don't mean just bad). After I cleaned them off, I could not find any leakage so I continued to use them. Everything was working fine until today. Once again, the batteries smell. I am really careful with the batteries, I don't know how I did it, but this second time I noticed one of the batteries was inserted incorrectly! Since one of the batteries was backwards would it caused them to smell like poop? The tailcap was a little loose too, so I guess there was pressure from inside loosening it. Did I ruin my batteries and flashlight? I have to go study, so I will check in for ideas a bit later. Thanks!

Chad

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Hello, I have read this forum for a while, but not had a need to post before. I saved my money to buy a RRT3, but am now having a serious problem. Last week I opened my locker and there was a horrible stench coming from my RRT3. I took out the 18650s and they were kind of slimy and smelled just like poop (and I don't mean just bad). After I cleaned them off, I could not find any leakage so I continued to use them. Everything was working fine until today. Once again, the batteries smell. I am really careful with the batteries, I don't know how I did it, but this second time I noticed one of the batteries was inserted incorrectly! Since one of the batteries was backwards would it caused them to smell like poop? The tailcap was a little loose too, so I guess there was pressure from inside loosening it. Did I ruin my batteries and flashlight? I have to go study, so I will check in for ideas a bit later. Thanks!

Chad

If the stuff in the battery tube wasn't put there as a prank, and your light was not full of poop for some other reason, it probably did come from the batteries....even though you cleaned them up and didn't SEE any leakage.

IE: If someone is pranking you...all bets are off, but, otherwise, STOP USING THE CELLS!!!!!!

As you don't know which one(s) leaked, I'd say either chuck all three, as they are probably crappy cells, and not worth using ever again, in anything...

Or use a DMM, etc to measure the voltage of the cells, and if one is dead, and the others are fine, well, you have your culprit...the backwards one might have been inserted after cleaning of course...or was backwards before, and re-inserted backwards again, etc.

BTW - Try to put the - end on the springs, that's almost always correct on a multi-cell light....on single celled lights, the + goes closest to the lens end....almost all the time.

When the batteries warm, the stuff inside can expand...and sulphur smells, etc, might be detectable :oops:

So, what make, model and so forth were these nasty poopy cells?

Does your volt reading say they're all dead now, or just one, etc?

Your light might be fried too :(

The inside of the light might need better cleaning too.

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:
Bad 18650s can explode. Chuck them.
Some pictures of what happens when lithium batteries go bad:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?280909-Ultrafire-18650-3000mA-exploded
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?262234-TK-Monster-Explosion

Here is a thread on how to take care of your batteries:
Using Li-ion cells in LED flashlights safely
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Using-Li-ion-cells-in-LED-flashlights-safely
Please be aware all 3 batteries must be charged to the same level. Charging 2 out of the 3 while in a hurry is a no-no.
Rechargeable lithium batteries get damaged if allowed to drop below 2.7V. Charge often rather than trying to get the last bit of energy from them.

Last edited:

chadg

Newly Enlightened
HAHAHA. No, I don't think I have been pranked. I do think my batteries (or at least one) are messed up. I left the batteries sitting out overnight and my room smelled a bit. I am using JetBeam 2300 mAh cells, and I got a meter to measure voltage. Two have voltages of 3.99V, the other seems to vary from 0-2.3V. I am going to toss these and get some AW or intl-outdoor cells. Since these seem to be damaged can I still drop them in a recycling bin?