Quality 6" Calipers????

dtsoll

Enlightened
Quality 6\" Calipers????

Firstly, mod's please move this where it belongs if it doesn't belong here. I thought these modders would be able to answer this. I am looking for a quality 6" calipers for a decent price. Anybody got the answer for me. Don't have to be digital, but that would be ok too! Thanks, Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

unnerv

Enlightened
Re: Quality 6\" Calipers????

I bought a couple of the harbor freight digital calipers and they seem to be pretty good. My dad works in a machine shop and I had him test the calipers on a 1 inch calibration tool. The calipers came up dead on. For $20 I ended up getting 3 sets, one for my office, one for my workshop and one for my dad's place for when I work on his lathe

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Quality 6

Most of their stuff is pretty good, although my artist friend bought and wore out 3 of their side-grinders in one day

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened

I've been using a pair of their 6" dial calipers for about 6 months now. They've been okay, but after a lot of use, they no longer hold their 0 and the action seems to collect a lot of grit.

If you're looking for something that'll last and is very accurate and precise, I would go for either some Mitutoyo, Starrett, or SPI 6" calipers. In fact, that's going to be my next purchase. Check here:

http://www.mscdirect.com/IWCatSectionView.process?IWAction=Load&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=1330&pcount=15&pbegin=0&RestartFlow=t

I've purchased from MSC and have found them to be excellent.

If you can afford it, I'd also recommend a micrometer. I bought a 1" model from:

http://www.grizzly.com

for like $8 and it's amazingly good for that price.

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

What is the difference in usage for a micrometer and a caliper? Are the micrometers more accurate?

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened

Usually micrometers will be accurate to 0.0005" while calipers will generally be accurate to 0.001". Also the mechanism used in micrometers is usually more accurate.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use a Fowler Ultra-Cal IV. Moisture resistance, digital, very repeatable.

Wilkey

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

Also, Micrometers usually have a much shorter maximum measuring capability...like 1" or 25mm. Some may go up to 2".

BC

PS: AAGGHH! I just spent 2 1/2 delightfully tedious hours browsing the MSC's site via the link Chief posted ! Surely I need a $3300.00 portable hardness tester for sumpin? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

dtsoll

Enlightened

Chief Wiggum,
Thanks for the great link, I took your advice and got a real decent Mitutoyo for 59 bucks. They were on sale and are usually 79 dollars. We used Mitutoyos at the shop I used to work and and were very good for the money. For what I will be using them for(Playing around)they should last forever. My last Mitutoyos were stolen, I will keep a closer eye on these!! They should be here friday, thanks again everyone! Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif