Ahhh.... Shootin'!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Ahhh.... Shootin\'!

My very very busy buddy had a couple 'free' hours last night so we went to the range. Ahhhhhhh, the sounds, smells and comradeship!!!

I am not a terrific shot. But my Ruger Stainless 22/45 is a TERRIFIC gun! It's fun to plink the corners off targets!

I got to shoot two different .40s, an H&K Compact, and a Sig 229. I could barely hit paper with either gun. And I wasn't alone in that, those things sprayed ammo in patterns, not groups!

Buddy recently acquired an 8&3/4" S&W 29 .44... WHAT A SWEET GUN! He can shoot 3 inch groups, I did around 5 first time I shot it . This with Black Hills remanufactured ammo. What could it do with ammo it really likes??? We understand completely why Dirty Harry preffered the 29!!!

I also forgot how nice it is to clean the guns.

I gotta do this more often!!!

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Ahhh.... Shootin\'!

Yes, blastin stuff is theraputic. I just recently traded for a Glock 21(full size .45) and love it. Just got a case of ammo too so I'll be busy for awhile.

BlindTiger

Newly Enlightened

I haven't shot in a couple months. No ammo. I have maybe 200 bullets and stuff ready to reload but that's not enough.
would love to go shootin with a buddy that pays for ammo.
of course, still have my home defense stash.

Darkcobra

Enlightened

PJS
I too have a 22/45 that I've played with.
Added a red dot scope, Volquartsen compensator and a trigger job. Feels and looks like a Han Solo's laser gun...
I'm at the range about once a week.
Doing action pistol shooting, practicing for my first rimfire metallic silhouette match. Yeah, best part is the comradery (sp?).

I hate cleaning guns! I'm happy I have bore snakes! Cuts cleaning time to just minutes for the barrel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Yep! I gotta try and find some ammo that my 3" Astra .357 Magnum likes.

Talk about a pattern!

I have (but couldn't find) a piece of weedeater string with a knot that makes a decent bore snake with patches...

Bill.H

Enlightened

I've been considering either a Buck Mark or that Ruger. Is it ambidextrous*? Haven't been to a show to handle either one yet.

*I'm lefty, ever notice web sites don't show both sides? Same with knives. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I don't believe I've ever seen a .22 for a lefty. I'm pretty sure you could shoot my 22/45. But getting the safety on/off or the clip out could be a problem...

A regular MKII clip releases at the bottom. So that might be better.

(I'm SURE 'clip' is not the word I'm looking for... DAMN brain!)

OH YEAH! Magazine.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had a Browning T-bolt .22 left hand. I stored the damm thing in a cheap rifle case and got rust from trapped moisture on several parts and all between the barrel and stock. Pissed was not the word!

I have a .40 P229 and like it alot, but what I really like is my 4" M66 bought back in '81 or '82 smooth.

I've always prefered wheelguns!

GregR

Bill.H

Enlightened

That's it, PlayboyJoeShmoe. Triggers work good from both sides, but it's those other annoying buttons/levers that are always backwards.

I'd really like a hi-power in .40S&W. But those things are expensive!

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would love to have a Ruger like that. I love shooting the .22 LR because of the little recoil, less sound, and cheap price! Oh well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast

I love to target shoot also but I loved to shoot full house blue pill 44 magnum loads in my Thompson contender. Part of the enjoyment for me was the recoil of it and the capability to vaporize the first 6 or 7 gallon jugs in a line that were filled with water I had a match grade 22LR barrel in the 10 inch bull with 5 power burris LER scope and it was a tack driver out to around 150 yards.BTW the T/C is totally ambidextrous.

Darkcobra

Enlightened

I've got a 40 cal Hi Power.
Its got to be one of my most comfortable/accurate pistol.
One thing though, that stock recoil spring is STRONG! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast

1st and only gun: Sig 220 stainless. Big, fat .45 ball-o-lead gets blasted forward.
I find shooting in general is fun, but wow, that 220 is really fun. Only problem is that with that gun I can't blame stray shots on anything but myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
(And with Winchester WinClean or similar less-toxic ammo, it's so very easy & safe to clean.)
I've never shot anything with such a long barrel as 8-3/4. That's gotta be quite an experience, esp with 44mag.
"It's a ****** cannon" says antagonistic police chief to Harry, as I recall.

hokiefritz

Newly Enlightened

"I've been considering either a Buck Mark or that Ruger. Is it ambidextrous*?"

I prefer the Buck Mark by far to the Rugers, but the one I have has a right-handed target-type grip and the controls are not ambidextrous. Not so good for a lefty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

HK seems to be one of the few manufacturers that make true ambidextrous pistols.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

With a .22 is it REALLY neccesary that it be totally lefty?

I can't get my mag out one handed, as the fat part of my hand blocks it.

I rarely shoot less than 10 shots at a time. I rarely ever need safety as once I **** it, 10 shots are gone. Besides, I would imagine you could learn some hand movements that would fix you right up.

So you'd likely do just fine with either MKII or Buckmark as long as they had no target style grips. Or any of the FINE Ruger wheelguns!

Ratus

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
hokiefritz said:
...Is it ambidextrous*?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you looked at the Walther P22? It has ambidextrous magazine and safety levers.

[ QUOTE ]
hokiefritz said:
HK seems to be one of the few manufacturers that make true ambidextrous pistols.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, HK's are good. But the only model to have the slide release on both side of the pistol is the P2000.

Almost all centerfire autopistols today have safeties that can be operated with either hand and several have ambidextrous magazine releases as well.

But does it really matter it you can't operate some the controls with your thumb?

Take the Ruger 22/45 for example it has controls setup like a 1911 (i.e. Thumb operated magazine, slide release, and safety) But you can push the magazine release with your index finger and I think you can pull the slide back with your other hand.

As for the safety; do you really need to operate that more than once during a match?

And if anyone want to argue about that last point here is a quote I read somewhere "Safe? Is not safe, is gun"

Safety is how you handle it, not some mechanical device.

EDIT: took too long typing, PJS beat me to it

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
binky said:
1st and only gun: Sig 220 stainless. Big, fat .45 ball-o-lead gets blasted forward.
I find shooting in general is fun, but wow, that 220 is really fun.

[/ QUOTE ] I have a Glock 21 but would like to add a 220. That's alot of weight, perfect for the range but not carry. They're pretty pricey too, but sweet nonetheless. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ratus

Newly Enlightened

I know what this thread needs, Pictures! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Here are some from my vacation in July visiting my Pop, and since I live in the "PRC" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, I do all of my shooting in Florida. The following were taken at Big Al's near FT. Lauderdale.

A near new Ruger P95DC 9x19 , just got it the weekend before for about $300+tax
P95.jpg

Approximately 7 yards, not bad for the first time using it. The big circle is 2" and the small one is 1"
P95-7yrd.jpg

Approximately 25 yards, The circle is 5.5" on 8.5x11" shooting Winchester white box 115gr. FMJ
P95-25yrd.jpg

Approximately 7 yards, fired as fast as possible while still aiming.
P95-7yrd Fast.jpg

Kahr K40 .40S&W, Great gun, somewhat heavy but puts them right where you want them with very little recoil.
K40-1.jpg

K40 Right target 7 yards /Left target 15 yards, Winchester white box 180gr. FMJ
K40-R7yrd_L15yrd.jpg

This is a Ruger MK I, used, just had the front sight fixed so don't laugh at the next pic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
MKI.jpg

I just love plinking, had just run out of .22 ammo. Approximately 15 yards
MKI-2.jpg

Hope y'all like them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

hokiefritz

Newly Enlightened

Sorry Ratus, I was quoting Bill.H but didn't put his name on it by re: the ambidextrious remark. The HK P7M8 releases the slide with the grip also. I'm not really a HK fan and don't own one, just making a comment.

I guess it all detpends on how you use your firearms. My point is if I was left handed I would want left hand controls if I had a choice e.g. I wouldn't use right-handed golfclubs if I was left handed. You can get around the right-hand designed handguns with practice, but some are better choices than others.

Ratus

Newly Enlightened

Hey hokiefritz,

Its ok, no problem, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif just my two cents. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When I go shooting I try to use both hands equally, also practicing shooting with one hand whenever I can. You never know when you'll need to shoot with your non-dominate hand.