Max Heat of Drivers?

Tiresius

Enlightened
I'm trying to get everything to prepare for my first custom light build from the ground up. I've already got some aluminum, 219's, clickies and 1.4a boards on the way. Now I see why some custom lights cost a lot :( These things aren't cheap.

The boards have no contact springs and was wondering if the board can take the heat to solder one on. Anyone burnt a board trying to solder a contact spring on? How much heat can these boards take?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Well, the components were soldered on, the to boards have to be able to take the heat. I haven't had any problems with soldering to a driver, but I did melt a switch while trying to solder to it.

TexasLumens

Newly Enlightened
I just did a change to a 7135 spring and it lived. I haven't had one not work because of de or re-soldering. Just get in and get out. I do lay mine on a chunk of aluminum while working with them just to help sink away anything I can.

Tiresius

Enlightened
I was uneasy about this because the heat it takes to solder is so much higher than computer's concentrated heat. It just focuses heat right onto a tiny spot where as I'll be using a blower and kapton tape. I've burnt the computer boards trying to solder 1cm-sized chips before with traditional soldering iron. Then I got a heat blower--made life so much easier repairing computer chipsets and BIOS.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try getting some "solder it". It is a paste type solder that melts very fast, consistently and at slightly lower temperatures. I have found it at Fry's Electronics but other places sell it as well.

Word of warning though, once you use paste solders, you will have a hard time wanting to go back to wire type solder, I know I never did.

Tiresius

Enlightened
Try getting some "solder it". It is a paste type solder that melts very fast, consistently and at slightly lower temperatures. I have found it at Fry's Electronics but other places sell it as well.

Word of warning though, once you use paste solders, you will have a hard time wanting to go back to wire type solder, I know I never did.

I've already ventured into the paste world. It's much efficient and the chances of accidental over-blobing with wire solder is greatly reduced. You can still over-blob it but very slim. Am not going back into wire anymore. :D