Should I upgrade my 2D incan Mag-Lite?

"J" man

Newly Enlightened
Is there a replacement drop in for a 2D Mag-Lite that has a high CRI out there? The flashlight is very obsolete, but it is in mint condition. I'm having a hard time justifying it's presence in my storage room. After all, I get better output/run time from my 1AA Fenix LD15 EDC. The only thing preventing me from chucking it is if there is a high CRI drop in out there available for it.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I don't know of any high CRI drop-ins but you could modify it to a high CRI LED light with a boost converter, a Maglight heatsink, and a Nichia 219 High CRI LED.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
One possibility would be to locate an old MagLED module, the module found in the original MagLED lights, and do an emitter swap to a Nichia 219 reflowed onto an 8mm board. It's easier than it sounds and should be good for about 120-130 lumens for about ten+ hours on a pair of D cells.

gunga

Flashaholic
How exotic a mod do you want? I have a sears multi voltage drop in, supposed to work from 1.5 - 8 volts. I have modded it to a high cri Seoul led. Would sell for around $18 if interested.

It's just sitting in a drawer.

They state 37-50 lumens, but that is likely with the original luxeon. I'm guessing more like 60-80 lumens after the mod, but can't really confirm.