Glow In The Dark Traffic Cone/Wand

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
A while back I bought a glow in the dark traffic cone/wand for a Streamlight Stinger. Now I might be interested in getting another glow in the dark traffic cone/wand for another flashlight or two. Anyway, is that somehow exclusive to Streamlight? I have an Inova T4 and a Pelican 7060, but I can't seem to find glow in the dark traffic cone/wand for them. I do see one for the Streamlight SL-20X, which would probably work with my TigerLight FBOP that I converted to LED with the Streamlight TerraLUX upgrade, but all I see for other non-Streamlights is regular traffic cone/wands, not glow in the dark versions.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just from a quick Google search I think it is a Streamlight only product....I'm sure they have a patent on it..... wouldn't want another company making such a useful product for another type of light.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glow in the dark is not really useful for roads with higway speeds -- the drivers won't see it far enough in advance. They're OK for parking lots or slow speed back streets but a minimum of 100 lumens (preferably 200 or more on demand) is way better.

Other companies make wands for lights. Just take a few measurements of the bezel and see what fits. If push comes to shove, look around in your medicine cabinet for translucent pill bottles that will fit the lights. A bright glow attracts attention if only because people don't know what it is.

Also some smart rules for roadside safety (from someone who has been there, done that way too much):

- NEVER turn your back on oncoming traffic. I cannot stress that enough. Never, ever turn your back on traffic.
- Do not assume that the other drivers know or even care that you are there. Always assume that the other drivers are complete idiots and you'll live longer.
- Be aware that drunk drivers very often drive "into the light" and in this case it is going to be yours!
- Be prepared for anything because sooner rather than later, you're going to see it up close and personal.

You would not believe the things I have seen while doing either work on a car or at an accident scene on the side of a road. "Be afraid, be very afraid" when you are at the side of any road. It'll keep you from being road kill.

Norman

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm.....sounds like it's not available. If you really, really want one, it seems the alternative is to purchase a white wand and then make it glow.

You'd do this by spraying a clear varnish on the outside of the wand, and then sprinkle glow powder on the area you've sprayed (do this over a sheet of wax paper so you can reuse the stuff that doesn't stick). You'd have to be generous with the powder, and probably have to test the glow between layers. Obviously, there's a line between brightness of the flashlight and brightness of the glow. Finish it with a final layer or two of varnish to protect it from the elements.

The glow powder is pretty pricey these days, so I'd only consider this if you really, really, absolutely, positively, must have it glow. Oh, and make sure you buy the spray varnish from a crafts store, as most of them contain UV blockers which makes it harder to charge the glow powder.