Looking to upgrade my sunwayman V10R Ti

Dimitri Stephan

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

I've had my v10r ti for a year and a half now, and I've been looking to replace it with something new. I love everything about that light and the only upgrade I can think of is going for the new v10r ti+ since it is an upgrade in ever way. What other options do I have? My budget is 200 $ max. The flashlight should be titanium, as large as the v10r with infinitely variable output etc...

Thanks!

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
the V10r TI+ has the XM-L U2 LED. that means a noticeably higher output than the V10r when using the 16340 cell. link That reads like what you want. I have the V10A and use either 14500 ICR or IMR in that light. very bright, well over 400 lumens, but a bit floody - which I like.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't personally like lights that get brighter only when you use rechargeable batteries, even though I mostly use rechargeables. I'd save yourself a ton of money and have a modder swap out that tired old XP-G for an updated XP-G2 of your choice. There are some other great cosmetic mods that you can do to your V10R to give it a face lift as well, such as install a McGizmo clip or change out the switch boot. I have a neutral 4000k XP-G2 installed into my aluminum V10R and it is impressive to say the least.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vinyh..... (can never remember his name) in Seattle swapped out my LED for a neutral XP-G2. FANTASTIC. It was ~$38. If you like your light this is the absolutely best route to go.

I personally really like the lights that are brighter on rechargeables because that is what I use 95% of the time - nice to have the option of primary cells.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I mean to say is that I don't prefer lights that go direct drive with a rechargeable and then have relatively small OTF lumens with a primary. V10R Ti+ is one of these types of lights. I like the regulated driver of the V10R that gives you the same amount of OTF lumens no matter what battery your using. This of course is just my humble preference so for me the V10R Ti+ isn't necessarily an upgrade over the V10R just a novelty. Also much like the XP-G McGizmo Haiku, I believe the now discontinued XP-G based V10R Ti is the more desirable light to own just due to more compatibility with different LED's. The OP could buy a V10R Ti+ and mod his V10R Ti to XP-G2 and still spend less than $200 and have a great EDC light for some throw and flood depending on what is desired.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
The new Sunwayman M11R Ti :) Should be pre-ordering with a nice discount tomorrow. In my humble opinion this actually blows my personal favourite (TCR1) away except for top end output.

Last edited:

Dimitri Stephan

Newly Enlightened
The new Sunwayman M11R Ti :) Should be pre-ordering with a nice discount tomorrow. In my humble opinion this actually blows my personal favourite (TCR1) away except for top end output.

Are you talking about this flashlight:http://www.sunwayman.com/html/products/201211/99.html.

If so, i love the dimensions and the looks of this light, but the mac output of "only" 300 lumens and the lack of infinitely variable output with different modes is a let down for me. I would rather puchase a new light anyway since I was thinking of giving my curent one as a christmas gift to my father.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
WIth the inclusion of Firefly and not being infinitely variable, the runtime is higher and more predictable. If we can get them to do a neutral, that would be great :) I'm pretty sure the M11R form factor can't handle 500 lumens well. The TCR1 (and RRT-01) get quite hot after a few minutes near max. Also being infinitely variable, it's near impossible to tell at which point you're overdrawing the battery (past safe current). If it's a gift for a non-flashaholic, the M11R is a better, or more correctly, "safer" choice.

I'm going to stop replying here as I'm sure someone will open up a M11R Ti thread soon and they'll be lots of chat like this.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
My vote goes for the V10R Ti + using XM-L U2. It would be a nice addition to your existing V10R Ti XP-G R5.

Dimitri Stephan

Newly Enlightened
I've just found out that there are three lights other than the V10R Ti+ that might be an option for me. There's the jetbeam TCR1, the Niteye EYE10 TiC Titanium and the new M11R Sirius from sunwayman. I havent found much information on these three lights, but they are very close in specs, so it's been making my decision very difficult. What do you think I should do?

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
TCR1 is great, loved it until the M11R Ti surfaced. The Nitecore seems tacky to me but I haven't handled that one.