Fenix TK22 XM-L Flashlight Review

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the review of the Fenix TK22 flashlight I won from the Fenix-store giveaway they made a few days back, hope you enjoy!

The light came in a nice see through presentation box typical of Fenix lights:
IMAG1078.jpg

Inside the box there we find:

- Nylon belt holster with top flap and Velcro closure
- Warranty information
- User's manual
- Fenix light advertisement
- plastic bag with 2 O-rings, a spare black rubber boot for the switch and a 15 cm wrist lanyard
IMAG1077.jpg

IMAG1076.jpg

Fenix TK22 Specifications printed on the box:

Output: 650 Lumens
Runtime 168 Hours
Distance: 235 Meters
Intensity: 13800 cd
Impact resistance: 1 Meter
Waterproof: IPX-8 2 Meters
LED: XM-L U2 bin

I have owned several Fenix Lights over the years and know these lights are very well built and designed to last, so far the Fenix lights I got have proven to be very reliable and dependable and the new TK22 seems to follow the same tradition of quality.

The light measures 146 mm long by 40 mm wide at the bezel and fits nicely in the hand
IMAG1062.jpg
IMAG1063.jpg

The HAIII anodizing is flawless and the stainless steel (?) bezel and side button seem to have been sandblasted lightly to remove any shine, I like it, BTW the side button measures 10 mm and is raised approximately 1 mm.

Disassembling the light is very straight forward,
IMAG1067.jpg

The metal grip ring can be unscrewed to remove the bezel down clip.
IMAG1068.jpg

I like that Fenix used anodized square threads in the TK22, this enables the light to be locked out for storage or transport by unscrewing the light about 1/2 turn.
IMAG1065.jpg

The machining is very good with no rough or sharp parts that can tear into flesh or clothing
IMAG1071.jpg

The head and tail have springs to ensure positive contact
IMAG1066.jpg

The light cannot tail stand because the switch protrudes over the tail cap crenelations by about 5 mm
IMAG1069.jpg

There are 2 lanyard attachment holes in the TK 22 one is in the tailcap and the other is in the cigar hold metal ring, the holes are about 3 mm in diameter
IMAG1073.jpg

The scalloped bezel helps it not to roll of a table if the light is put on its side, the side switch is 10mm in diameter by 1 mm high. the sandblasted crenelated steel bezel has 3mm high teeth with smooth edges that wont cut fingers or clothing but are functional for self defense or to notice if the light is turned on and placed head down.
IMAG1074.jpg

The switch is a momentary forward click switch that has a very positive feel to it and makes a somewhat loud click when engaged travel length to engage the switch to the on position is about 4 mm, the side switch has a positive feel when pressed travel length to click is about 0.5 mm and also makes a sound when pressed, kind of like the old computer keyboards! I found it to be easier to find in the dark if you align the side clip to where the button is located.

Something that I did not like about this light is the inside diameter of the battery tube, 18650's have a snug fit, The Hi-Max cells barely fit and are really really snug, you will have to disassemble the light and push the battery from the other side using a wooden stick to get it out, I think this light is going to have a hard time using some of the fatter 18650's on the market

The light has 4 light output settings and a strobe, it remembers the last mode selected (But not strobe!) the tail cap current using a fully charged 18650 is as follows.

Low: 0.01 amps
Med: 0.14 amps
High: 0.54 amps
Turbo: 1.50 amps

To activate strobe you turn on the light using the tail switch then press and hold the side button for approximately 2 seconds, if side button is pressed while in strobe it will revert back to the previously selected light level.

I really like the tint of this light! its either the warmest of the cool white spectrum or the coldest of the neutral white, if I had to pick a color from the Cree XM-L color chart it would be 2C or 2D since it is a bit warmer than a 1C, it gives very good color rendition.
Ansiwhite.jpg

The reflector has the marketed "Lossless Orange Peel Reflector" which is to my eyes a very light orange peel reflector like the FiveMega throwmaster reflector. BTW the led came very well centered! the lint in the picture is on the outside of the antireflective coated glass inside is perfectly clean and free of debirs!
IMAG1064.jpg

Another view, the diameter of the actual reflecting surface is aproximately 30 mm and about 25 mm deep (Did not open the light to measure it)
IMAG1072.jpg

The beam has a very defined hotspot with 2 coronas that blend into one another, the hotspot measures 35 cm (14 inches) from a distance of 3 meters (10 feet) My cell phone camera makes the hotspot appear to look too blue! it is not like that in person. The beam produced does not have any visible artifacts, I like it!
IMAG1075.jpg

In all I think Fenix made another fine light, but please bore the tube a little more so fat 18650 cells can fit!

Sincerely:
AlexGT

Last edited:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heeeeeey sexy flashlight.... op op op op .... op them loss-less style

(sorry I couldn't resist) :D

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
For real though.... about the ss bezel. How permanently is that on there? Do they basically use a super strong lock-tite on the threads? I like the idea of it, but don't really like it if it isn't a permanent part of the head for all intensive purposes.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
18650's fit but the fat ones like the HiMax have trouble fitting, trustfires fit fine, If I remove the clear wrapping of the Hi-Max cell it will fit too! But I think Fenix should bore just a little more so the future higher capacity cells can fit.

tbombadil

Newly Enlightened
Just overpaid ($119.00) for a TK22 from a local retailer last night and have zero regrets, this is hands down my new favorite torch. Fenix really seems to be on to something with their so called "lossless, orange-peel reflector". Both the central "hotspot" portion of the beam and the secondary "spill" portion of the beam appear to be nearly perfectly round with very uniform output and the intensity of the beam does not seem to be a great deal less than my Fenix TK35. Very high quality build, excellent beam uniformity, very high output and very compact. Just overall a fantastic light, can't recommend highly enough!

Verndog

Enlightened
Damn...I had to open my big mouth about nothing on my gotta have list! :mecry:

3 new lights in the last month and now this...I have to ask anyone getting or has one. How good is the flood on this light, especially at high 250 lumens?

For those that amps doesn't mean much to....

Low 7 lumens
Med 75 lumens
High 250 lumens
Turbo 650 lumens --and runs 1hr 30min without having to turn off after 1-2-3-5 minutes!! :thumbsup:

Way to go Fenix!! :cool:

spikebike

Newly Enlightened
18650's fit but the fat ones like the HiMax have trouble fitting, trustfires fit fine, If I remove the clear wrapping of the Hi-Max cell it will fit too! But I think Fenix should bore just a little more so the future higher capacity cells can fit.

As a data point my new tk22 fits both the Tenergy (2700 I think) and the Orbtronic 3100 mAh easily. So loosely in fact I'm somewhat surprised they don't rattle. They do actually rattle without the end cap on. Fortunately they don't rattle at all when the cap is on.

If I remove the tail cap with the flashlight horizontal I can only tip the light around 30 degrees from the horizontal before the battery slides out.

Very nice light. I especially like the dual spring, seems like it should minimize the shock if the light lands on it's face. I upgraded from a TK11 and am quite pleased. The fit, finish, balance and ease of use are all excellent. I'm a big fan of the end button for on/off, the memory for the last mode, and the mode switch on the head. No more finicky head twisting.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Turbo 650 lumens --and runs 1hr 30min without having to turn off after 1-2-3-5 minutes!! :thumbsup:
It's physically impossible:
1. It does have thermal stepdown but after 30 minutes. You don't have turn other flashlights off, they just reduce brightness.
2. 1:30h is believable considering this current draw:
Turbo: 1.50 amps
3. But at 1,5A XM-L U2 produces about 590 emitter lumens, that's less than 500 out of the front lumens.

Novan3

Newly Enlightened
Have been debating hard with myself last few days on acquiring a new handheld and narrowed it down to either this or the Surefire Fury.

This well written review has just tipped the scale for me. Another Fenix it is!

Novan3

Newly Enlightened
Couldn't decide so got both.

Upon initial inspection of my new TK22 it appears Fenix has certainly stepped up their QC game. Niice!

7F48951B-7C8F-4EC5-B298-3ABAAE0BF8A2-7459-000007953DF14903.jpg

idleprocess

Flashaholic
For real though.... about the ss bezel. How permanently is that on there? Do they basically use a super strong lock-tite on the threads? I like the idea of it, but don't really like it if it isn't a permanent part of the head for all intensive purposes.
I have one and the transition from the bezel to the rest of the head is downright seamless to the point that it appears to be permanently attached to a degree that it cannot be removed without damaging the rest of it.