Too much power in my LED?

Rick1971

Newly Enlightened
I have a CREE light with a 3.7 v 18650
and it had a pretty descent aluminum body, but I like the body on my Cabela's light much more, it is a higher quality make

both are small and I can carry them in my 1" belt loop
but like I said I want to use my Cabela's body/frame instead
but the two batteries my Cabela's light come out to 7.2 v

so can I but that much voltage through the led, (remember 3.7) without damaging it
my guess is yes, si am I correct?

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It all depends on the driver circuitry, most power LEDs used in handheld lights are actually around 3v input. But they use circuitry to 'buck' down the input voltage to the correct level, the 3.7v one may not have this but the one running 7.2v certainly will.

I'm not sure exactly what you're suggesting doing though, you want to swap the LED from one into the Cabela body? Do they both use a drop-in or would you be doing a replacement of the LED itself only?

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like you want to run 7.2v through a head designed for 3.7v. This might fry the driver and/or LED.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Are the heads on the lights compatible? Switching LEDs isn't as easy as switching a bulb, since the LED and circuit were not meant to be replaces (they should last the life of the light).

If you can swap the heads easily, then a 17670 battery could fit in the Cabela's light and that would be the right voltage. The battery could be too thick though, so measure the internal diameter of the light first.

:welcome:

As a side note, Voltage is not power, power is voltage multipled by current. Voltage is kinda like pressure. You could have a high pressure and no flow, resulting in no power being transferred. :)
Current is like the flow rate, and power is like the total amount of water flowing. (batteries are kinda like pressure vessels, holding pressure and water, larger battery = more water to push out).

Last edited:

Tiresius

Enlightened
Rechargeable Li-On batteries are not 3.7v. They're 4.2 +/- 0.3v when fresh off the charger. In pairs, they'll go up to 8.4v and if your light is rated at 3.7v, chances are is that you won't be able to push past 6v without frying the driver. More voltage = more heat generated. You'll have to take a look to see if the threads match and the heads are changeable. Also, a photo of the light you plan on pushing to 8.4v would help. If you're using CR123's non-rechargeable, you'll be fine running them in pair. Just be cautious of the heat.