The Surefire 6p seemed to be hugely popular, will the 6px be also?

rsgort

Newly Enlightened
The surefire 6p seemed to be hugely popular with tons of aftermarket support and also being a popular starting point for many semi-custom lights, will the 6px be similarly popular? Why?

rotncore

Newly Enlightened
Nope, at least not to the same level. The head is a sealed unit in the x series, so it limits the aftermarket modifications that are so popular with the older lights with replaceable lamp modules.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Being popular because it is good for taking parts from is not usually important to an OEM maker.

:D

rotncore

Newly Enlightened
It won't be as popular with the CPF crowd, but for the broader market will likely be just as popular if not more so. The sealed head means more waterproof/durable if you aren't interested in taking it apart or modding. For the primary LEO market where a light like this may be issued, that's a good thing.

We on CPF tend to be a bit myopic when it comes to lights. If we can't mod them, or get custom parts, we deem them bad, while the general user market might not care, or even prefer the simplicity/durability advantages.

However, if I were purchasing by the hundred for a department, having the light upgradable might lower the TCO and lengthen service life.

Last edited:

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope... I'm already selling my 6PX Pro... seems so... dull... :)

And that preflash is annoying the living number 2 out of me...

But I am building a shaved XML U2 3.05A module for one of my 6P's, just for fun...

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
When that model succeeds to be the "Master" of its class for the next 20 years (or so),
like the 6P has,
then maybe we can think that topic over again ...

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Preflash?

Yeah... the driver is set to start on low first then you click off then on again for high... but when you turn it on for the first time, instead of it going straight to low, it flashes quickly before it actually does... same problem on both black PX6 Pro and red PX6 Pro I have...

Erzengel

Enlightened
The original 6P was a milestone because it offered a lot of light in a very compact package compared to almost all other lights of it's time. The 6PX is just one of many LED lights with 200 or 320 Lumen. The quality might be better than many other lights, but only a few mass market customers will appreciate it.

mbw_151

Enlightened
The popularity of the 6P has been high thru the whole transition of portable lighting from incan to LED and it still has a place. As an incan, it was the first widely available high performance compact light. Then when LEDs came along, it became the host of choice supporting wider LED choices than available in the high volume market. It is still very popular in the CPF world, not so much now in the buy in and use it market. The 6PX requires way more skill to modify that unscrewing the bezel and installing the latest drop in of choice.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the new 6PX (when it first launched) thinking it would be as flexible in terms of modification as my G2.
And man, I got soooo disappointed the moment I got it. :(
Needless to say, it was on eBay within the next few days.

For the record, it is still a decent light. High workmanship, quality & pretty decent lumen output.
Just that not being able to change things kind of turns me off. haha..

Cypher_Aod

Enlightened
The original 6P was a milestone because it offered a lot of light in a very compact package compared to almost all other lights of it's time. The 6PX is just one of many LED lights with 200 or 320 Lumen. The quality might be better than many other lights, but only a few mass market customers will appreciate it.

And yet, that still isn't Surefire's target Market and probably never will be :p

1pt21

Enlightened
To me: NO!!

In actuality: Probably, yes

The amount of SureFire's that myself and friends combined own, comes nowhere close to where the majority of SF sales go (heck, even possibly even the CPF Community as a whole [minus a few members of course] LOL) ... Enough said, SF will be in business for a looooong long while!

Xacto

Enlightened

I second that. Only thing besides the name and their pretty hassle-free customer service is the simple and reliable UI of the 6PX Tactical - momentary on/off, twist the tailcap for constant on. If, for some reason, the lens breaks, I either have to somehow get the lens/bezel ring off (loctite) or send the light in.

With my various 6P/Z2/C2 lights I just take a new Z44 head from the spares box as the light is good to go again. Some thing if you want to use 18650. In both cases you have to bore the battery tube wider, but with the original 6P it is easier to accomplish that.

Cheers
Thorsten