• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SOLD! McG 3v XM-L LE $100

nbp

Flashaholic
I have a stock 3v XM-L LE from Don that I would like to sell. My engine has been installed in my Mule since I got it and works perfectly. It has maybe 2 hours use on it, never dropped while installed.

Buy the XM-L module outright for !SOLD! $100 shipped in the USA. Elsewhere may require additional postage. From Don these are $135 plus shipping.

Or, I'd be happy to trade it for a stock 3v Nichia 119 LE for use in a Haiku.

Thanks! :wave:

photolsbj.jpg

Last edited:

Megatrowned

Enlightened
Re: WTT: McG XM-L Light Engine for Nichia 119 Engine

Changing to hi cri, nice! Free bump :thumbsup:

Pm sent

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Bump. Would still like to trade my XM-L engine for a Nichia 119 engine.

nbp

Flashaholic

Anyone interested?

nbp

Flashaholic
WTT: McG XM-L Light Engine for Nichia 119 Engine

I may just have to do that. I wasn't in a hurry so I thought I'd try this on the off chance two of us could get what we're looking for.

OK, sale option added to OP. :wave:

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic

Title and OP fixed up so it makes more sense. Post here if you want to buy it or PM if you want to trade. Thanks!

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
WTS: McG 3v XM-L LE; or Trade for Nichia 119 LE

Hi NBP.
It may be advantageous for you to indicate if the XML LE is wired for either the Makai or Haiku. They are not interchangeable between the 2.

nbp

Flashaholic
Re: WTS: McG 3v XM-L LE; or Trade for Nichia 119 LE

Hi NBP.
It may be advantageous for you to indicate if the XML LE is wired for either the Makai or Haiku. They are not interchangeable between the 2.

I don't recall the details of this.. if you can find it in Don's posts that would be great. I had it in a Mule, so contact issues were, well, not an issue. ;)

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast

Perhaps a picture of the LE will help determine which one you have. Whilst not crucial when used in a reflectorless mule or sundrop, it will be in a Makai and haiku. It will be even more crucial in a smaller emitter setup.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast

Benchview,

Where do you have information supporting your claim about the Makai and Haiku using different pills? An Aleph pill is an Aleph pill to the best of my knowledge and the general design and measurements have not changed since ~2004. Don has always designed his light to be modular and almost all pieces (especially Aleph spec related) are the same. I've used Haiku LEs in Makais and v.v. I know you are trying to help the OP but accurate information is essential.

BTW - I may be considering a purchase of this and a quality picture is essential to any thread.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi All and SOYCD.

The information is documented in one of the threads but I can't find it.
It has something to do with the way and location where Don wires them in relation to the emitter. I agree that aleph pills are the same but the hole at the back of the reflector isn't.
Look at the picture attached. The left came from a Haiku and the right from a Makai. Notice the solders in relation to the green board of the emitter. The Makai LE has it soldered very close to the green board. So when you look at the business end of the Makai, the emitter and solders are clearly seen.

The one on the left is from a Haiku, the solders are further away from the green board. This allows the small perimeter hole of the reflector to sit in between the green board and the solder. Don also places an oring there. This is even more crucial for the small emitter such as xpg and Nichias. Don uses kapton tape to ensure that the reflector does not make contact with the solder points despite spacing them carefully.

If these LEs are used in a reflectorless setup such as a mule or sundrop, then it would not matter as the lens is far away from the emitter. Not so with a reflectored setup such as a Makai and Haiku.

Hope this helps.

Ben

emapymeq.jpg

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good detailed information, thanks. I think anyone with a little soldering iron skill could quickly move the wires as need but it would be nice to see what the OP has in regards to a XML as I don't know how/if they differ.

nbp

Flashaholic

Hi guys.

I will take a picture of the LE and post it for you if that will help. Will not be able to do so until later tonight when I get home from work.

Take care,