Blackshadow Terminator Review

firelord777

Enlightened
Blackshadow is a relatively new brand to hit the market. They have already released quite a significant number of flashlights, and the one we have here today is their most powerful one yet. Well, powerful is an understatement. :duh2:
The market today seems to be almost saturated with so many multi-emitter XM-L flashlights. These things are capable of blasting 1,000s of lumens in your face with just the press of a button. If we go back a few years, we would have never dreamed LEDs would ever reach this type of power. Fortunately though, it is now a reality.:eek:
Here are the official specifications from Blackshadow:
Dimensions: 69mm(HD)×132mm(L)×93mm(H)
Weight: 395g(Without battery)
Color: Dark brown
Emitter: 4×CREE XM-L U2 LED
Battery: 4/18650
Circuit: Digital CC circuit, Low-voltage alarming system, Power indicating system
Mode: High-Mid-Low-OFF, hidden Strobe mode
Dimming: Smart button switch
Lumens: High 3500Lums - Mid 1500lums - Low 400lums - Strobe 3000lums
Runtime: High 1h10min - Mid 2h40min - Low11h25min - Strobe 1h40min
Material: Aluminum alloy
Lens: Impact-resistant optical lens with AR coating
Reflector: Metal reflector
Head & Tail: Stainless steel bezel ring, tailstanding tailcap
Waterproof: IPX-7, unable to support dive use.
Accessories: Tactical parachute-cord, Spare O-ring, User manual and Warranty card.
Mark: LED and mode are optional on your preference.

First Impressions
Well, when I received the package, Blackshadow had taped the whole thing like 20 times over. Have fun trying to open your Terminator for over half an hour. On the bright side though, at least customs will probably not want to mess around with your light. Seriously though, don't worry about the light during shipping; the box is practically bullet proof.:cool:
LRew1Xu.jpg

With those scary eyes and fangs, I nearly dropped the box out of shock! Not really, but still, it is intimidating.
XMgieN1.jpg

sq58sSX.jpg

J2m8KQ8.jpg

So, my first thoughts were on how well Blackshadow provided ample protection and cushioning inside the box as well. Everything was organized and well presented. I wonder if they have an artist that designs and packages the whole thing. My next thoughts were that the flashlight felt just the right size. The weight isn't too heavy for its size without batteries, and it seems to be made to last a long time.
Construction
As mentioned before, the light is well built and has a gun grey finish to it.
QAiN6hv.jpg

DJOrS3h.jpg

NNkIrgI.jpg

q1UzXqQ.jpg

0bmeolI.jpg

The laser etched lettering is very clear and impossible to scratch off with my fingernails.
Z2oxPXp.jpg

VsNWTrc.jpg

The two screws appear solid and match the color of the flashlight.
hDHALIZ.jpg

pWOi3Jd.jpg

p7Ttvpe.jpg

If you see below, you can see that you may need a special tool to disassemble the bezel of the reflectors. Me and my dad had to hold the flashlight very tightly and also apply a tremendous amount of force and pressure to unscrew the bezel. So, in short, don't try it, because it will be too difficult for most people.
Sg4v037.jpg

To take apart the flashlight, you have to unscrew the body, which has a frosted o-ring. To insert batteries, make sure to insert them inverted. As in, negative goes in first, and the positive end should be facing you.
WGvahA5.jpg

hwXuaAl.jpg

Inside the head, there is this big gold circle. Unlike my Fenix TK41, this finish doesn't scratch off everytime you change batteries. This tells me the flashlight is designed to last for a LONG time. :thumbsup:
w8tUjAu.jpg

txfWgMa.jpg

Below, I show the types of batteries I use in the Terminator. I don't have the funds to buy batteries, so all my 18650s are from salvaged laptop battery packs. :eek:This also explains why I refrain from doing runtime tests. But my friend Candle lamp has made a good review here (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...dow-Terminator-(4xXM-L-T6-NW-4x18650)-Review) :buddies:and if you scroll down, you can see his well detailed runtime graphs. Thanks to his graphs, we see that Blackshadow has incorporated thermal protection management to prevent overheating. His well-made review also reveals the Terminator has PWM on low and middle output levels. This means the flashlight turns on and off very quickly at high frequencies. A few people are sensitive to this, I am personally not.
8uGghh6.jpg

CvBXF5C.jpg

r71h86D.jpg

g96OW66.jpg

V2Ebjep.jpg

osH3HPE.jpg

Gz8RCOW.jpg

ysbeLl8.jpg

Here I show you guys the flashlight and its cool green light. When you present to light to your friends, position the body in the on position and say to them it's a safety feature and it shows the light is armed. That will really amaze them, scare them, or possible both. Normally though, I use it as my night light. I must warn you, however, although it is bright and practically doesn't affect the battery life at all, it is too bright to directly use the light in a dark room to sleep. I have to suppress it a bit because or else, it's too bright, I cover it partially with another flashlight or something I have on hand. Another use is an emergency locator. I love it for this, let's say there is a power outage and you forgot where you left your regular flashlight. The green standby light will work wonders to quickly get the light and turn it on instead of fumbling for it in the dark. To turn it off, you only have to turn the light off a few degrees, very little in other words.:devil:
C8ioflJ.jpg

M39dvQv.jpg

sdOZIdm.jpg

Y6Z2ozT.jpg

NoqHNGf.jpg

WT09ByP.jpg

D6isYe0.jpg

jYqg0Kf.jpg

LUjMwmz.jpg

tc91Dcf.jpg

yHidwd1.jpg

3s4MS9f.jpg

Below I have reflector size comparisons. The Blackshadow has a balanced reflector size. It isn't too small to be considered a dedicated flooder, but neither too large to be a dedicated thrower. Therefore, it has a balanced beam that can throw really good because of its beam profile and sheer power.
qUotLwe.jpg

NoqHNGf.jpg

VS. Klarus XT20
ql5pxza.jpg

VS. ArmyTek Viking
rWdXYC2.jpg

VS. Nitefighter F30C
xRdfRll.jpg

VS. Everyone
E3Xzdov.jpg

Here I have some pictures to show the color of the finish, it is lighter than the F30C, and slightly lighter than the XT20.
t7wUdvl.jpg

DeXzWwF.jpg

Lanyard System
I have never seen a lanyard system as this one before. It is quite long, and has two positioning things. You can really play around with the lanyard whenever you're bored. The possibilities are essentially endless. I even tied the flashlight to a soccer goal post so my brother and I could play in complete darkness, and the Terminator as a portable stadium light. Ah, good old times eh?:huh:
RZXDpta.jpg

1E9xdt1.jpg

4mSW6ii.jpg

BaOTfnd.jpg

WZHhajD.jpg

V4wr8Cv.jpg

o1PshYJ.jpg

iOfM5rt.jpg

czpLiNc.jpg

94fBE0L.jpg

LDgwR5E.jpg

q04m1cS.jpg

lGkQLln.jpg

Whitewall Beamshots
I have here for you some whitewall beamshots. All have initial exposures, and equal reduced exposures. No digital voodoo magic here guys::nana:
ArmyTek Viking X
kil80TD.jpg

FKBkBwm.jpg

Nitefighter F30C
EsD6SL1.jpg

7iZwvKf.jpg

s7iNmzi.jpg

Klarus XT20
Xddfdlr.jpg

AKHijpK.jpg

AKHijpK.jpg

0Fncsmx.jpg

Blackshadow Terminator
jGO4IWz.jpg

Q3H0n1Y.jpg

YLXrF10.jpg

i6JORlc.jpg

I guess the Terminator doesn't provide a "Blackshadow" LOL.
Office Workstation Ceiling Bounce Tests:
Same order as before:
ArmyTek Viking X (don't mind the toilet paper roll, I had to support it with something and just got a bit creative)
pbPiZxG.jpg

Nitefighter F30C
IcWfy6D.jpg

Klarus XT20
w3xgGST.jpg

Blackshadow Terminator
ExaNGUv.jpg

Size Comparison to Daily Objects:
Given the size of the flashlight, its mind boggling how much blinding light can come out of something so small, it almost seems surreal.:ironic:
Against a pair of sunglasses
J11gE5z.jpg

Versus my English-Italian dictionary
iEs4gun.jpg

Rock and rolling with its Pepsi cousin
8gfbqAu.jpg

FEQFXri.jpg

Waterproofing…er…Terminator's Swimming Class
I find it sometimes amazing how manufacturers can waterproof flashlights, but I guess I'll have to learn that some other day, Terminator is bugging me to start his swim class already.:hairpull:
NJzxxqI.jpg

L0wFj4m.jpg

jeKxLWv.jpg

PkxSCkk.jpg

O1lSI5J.jpg

aqBd5Dp.jpg

zRrZ7Xg.jpg

0yQxlG0.jpg

FxBR5ne.jpg

EEhaD2i.jpg

I bet Terminator is saying "class ended so soon?":mad:
Outdoor Beamshots (BOOYAH!!!)
I'm sure many of you are curious just how good the Terminator scares away the darkness, so here it is::naughty:
Control (sun was setting)
tg5e3.jpg

Dereelight Night Master:
5XPkm.jpg

Klarus XT20:
PYyJf.jpg

Fenix TK41:
13cCE.jpg

Black Shadow Terminator:
XT3NV.jpg

And Olight SR95S-UT:
qf7Ie.jpg

1v8GD.jpg

ArmyTek Predator:
xWjNb.jpg

Dereelight Night Master:
FTGjI.jpg

Klarus XT20:
vVrbA.jpg

Fenix TK41:
BIKdp.jpg

Black Shadow Terminator:
RWIkg.jpg

Olight SR95S-UT:
Zgbxa.jpg

Control (from where I was to the trees is just over the length of a soccer field:
3zEwA.jpg

ArmyTek Predator:
udEAa.jpg

Dereelight Night Master:
UggKY.jpg

Klarus XT20:
J2KYE.jpg

Fenix TK41:
g6M9E.jpg

Black Shadow Terminator:
aMJWz.jpg

Olight SR95S-UT:
CMBo1.jpg

Same order as before:
g3bAb.jpg

ArmyTek
S4ceV.jpg

Dereelight
unxga.jpg

Klarus
kYAIR.jpg

Fenix
xbyL6.jpg

Black Shadow
SDHRW.jpg

Olight
DE3HK.jpg

ArmyTek Predator (fantastic little light that rivals the throw of bigger lights)
RQ8mH.jpg

Dereelight Night Master (if you're looking for a light to play Star Wars, this is it, the beam is tight like a laser)
UIAdE.jpg

Klarus XT20 (same brightness as the SR95S-UT, but its more oriented for flood)
yqoJS.jpg

Fenix TK41 (Throws really good for 8 AA batteries)
NGQj5.jpg

Black Shadow Terminator (The Terminator name fits it well, it terminates every organisms' eyeballs if you shine it at them)
qpYl3.jpg

Olight SR95S-UT:
rCLB3.jpg

Another setting:
qJa1t.jpg

0DCAA.jpg

y4yiB.jpg

5G16F.jpg

7dOxq.jpg

rqRg9.jpg

Sorry guys, I forgot to take a picture of the ArmyTek, we'll just have to start with the Dereelight:
hHwkQ.jpg

7GHKC.jpg

PoPfi.jpg

YENHL.jpg

qfd2w.jpg

uPka4.jpg

Blackshadow, as previously mentioned is a new brand by all standards. However, they have proven to me that they have an exceptional and outstanding support and service team. I had an initial problem with the Blackshadow of a small crack in a lens, and they provided no questions asked not one lens, but two lenses. I am very happy with their professionalism. About dealers though, I'm not entirely sure, as of now, I got the light from China. Bottom line, I can vouch for Blackshadow's customer service and overall good experience. :thumbsup:

More to Come Soon
I will be updating this review with more stuff and testing, if there is anything you would like to request I do or test the flashlight, please feel absolutely free to ask or contact me.:rock:
Cheers,
Alain

ZRXBILL

Enlightened
Thanks for a fantastic review. I need another light like a hole in the head but as we all know that never stops us.:D

argleargle

Enlightened
Looks like a fun little toy. The sizzling green indicator button is too cool.

Last edited:

Gravitron

Newly Enlightened
I love the beamshots, but I am not smart enough to know which light made which beam. Is there any way you could notate the beamshots?
Thanks so much,
Gravitron

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened
Looking at these reviews of li-ion-powered lights, it really makes me want to take the leap from nimhs. Great pics & light. Thanks for your time!

g.p.

Enlightened
Thanks for the great pictures. I'm not a fan of the handle, but other than that I really dig this little light...I may have to check out the rest of their line up.

firelord777

Enlightened
I love the beamshots, but I am not smart enough to know which light made which beam. Is there any way you could notate the beamshots?
Thanks so much,
Gravitron

My apologies Gravitron,

I see where the confusion is, I revise it in a bit,

Let me know if there is anything else that you need,

Cheers

firelord777

Enlightened
Looking at these reviews of li-ion-powered lights, it really makes me want to take the leap from nimhs. Great pics & light. Thanks for your time!

Your welcome my friend,

Basically, 18650 provide a lot of power in a small package. Depending in your tastes, it might not be a good choice in some people's eyes. In a survival situation, it's is far easier to get AAs than charge 18650.

But still, they rock!

firelord777

Enlightened
Thanks for the great pictures. I'm not a fan of the handle, but other than that I really dig this little light...I may have to check out the rest of their line up.

The fixed handle received mixed feedback. In the end, I liked it. The Niteye eye-30-40 is good, but I'm not so sure of the handle is as good as the terminator's.

But still, the terminator is half the price of the Niteye, and IIRC exceeds several aspects of the Niteye such as regulation, throw and, well, a wicked cool green light:D Niteye though does have a few tricks up its sleeve that the terminator doesn't such as AC/DC charging and a different UI.

Cheers