regular flashlight maintenance

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
when i first came to cpf, i really didn't know what it took to take care of a flashlight. i figured you fed it and bathed it if it got too dirty, but i wasn't aware of the subtle tlc that a flashaholic should express towards his flashlights.
as flashaholics, we have invested large sums of money to purchase lights, and should be careful in maintaning them.
most of what i've written below is obvious, but hopefully it will help people who are new to flashlightland to get an idea of what's involved.

there are 3 main keys to flashlight maintence. clc. cleaning, lubing, caressing

<font color="red">cleaning</font>
cleaning is probably the single most important thing you can do to keep your flashlights healthy and happy. dirt on the outside will affect their apperance, but it can also get into the cavaties, and into the oring seals and mess up water resistance. the best way to clean your light, is to go over it throughougly with a paper towel, to get all the "dry" stuff off. it may be dirt, clay, food spatter, blood, whatever. (luckily most lights aren't likely to have a whole bunch of dry gunk)
once all the big chunks are taken away, you can use a moist paper towel to clean the dirt/food/babyvomit out of the knurling/ribs/texture. usually, this step isn't that necessary either, as most flashlights don't see these sort of things normall, but after camping, or caving, or skydiving, they might be a little dirty on the outside, and it's good to clean them with the rest of the stuff.

after the outside of the light is clean, you can remove the tailcap (if applicable), head (if applicable), bezel ring if app....you get the idea). [[[do <font color="blue">not</font> take things apart if you're not sure you can get them back together! also, you dont' need to completely dissasemble the light. sf, arc, streamlight, and many other flashlights werent made to be completely dissasembled, and doing so can damage the unit, and even void your warantee]]] usually this isn't an issue with any commercial flashlights, and i don't really think it would be too much of an issue with most mods either. i trust that most of you aren't planning on dissecting every aspect /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
first, clean the threads with paper towels (this is especially necessary if they have been previosly lubed, as there will be a lot of gunk) once everything is about as clean as you can get it, remove the orings (if using a sharp object like a knife, take care not to damage it in any way. this is especially difficult on lights with tigher orings). clean the oring with papertowels, and set it aside while you clean out the oring groove. after the main gunk is out of that, use q-tips to go inside the groove and the threads. sometimes q-tips will loose lint, but this isn't that big of a problem, and most of it can be cleaned away with a towel.

after the threads and orings are cleaned, you'll likely notice that the lens is full of dust, fingerprints, all sorts of things. i most applications, it should be possible to remove the lens and clean it, but this isn't possible (or even a good idea) to do in some lights. if it's loctited or requres tools to open or unscrew something, leave it in place. if the lens is easily removable, you can take it to the sink and gently clean it with dish soap. i've found this works well for removing fingerprints and such. if it's not a glas lens, be careful not to scratch it. even paper towels can be rough enough to scratch some lenses, so use soft dishtowels or similar. if it's a glass lens, just try not to drop it.
generally speaking, it isn't a good idea to clean a reflector with anything but canned air. optics can be cleaned with dishsoap as well.
if you take the bulb out, clean the glass carefully, to remove finger oils.
now that everything is cleaned and taken apart, you can contine you to phase two...

<font color="red">lubing</font>
lubing is an important part of flashlight maintenance. it ensures that there is a good water seal, it helps make things smoother, and it keeps the orings from drying up. using special lubes like nye lube 759g, which is made to work on threads conducing electricity will help keep your light running opimally. it works by suspending the oxidation, which produces extra resistance. i'm not sure if other companies have similar lubes or not. nye lube also has a "dampening" lube, which works better for orings and non-electrical threads. it will provide smoother turning, but won't help with electricity.
really, any kind of lube is better than no lube, but be careful to not use petrolium based lubricants (such as vasiline), as it may damage some forms of orings. not all orings will be affected by this, but it's a good idea to use the better stuff anyway. silicone based lubricants are a good thing to use also.

while everything is still apart, use a toothpick or similar item (i've used q-tips in the past, but when using them to lube, they get hair everywhere...) to apply a smal amount into the oring channel. place the oring back in the channel, and lube on top of it, then lube the threads.
you don't really need to use a lot of lube. as long as you have enough to help cusion between the threads, and help the cover the oring nicely, you're ok.
after everything is lubed, you can put a little bit of the 759g type stuff on the battery contacts to help with the oxidation problem. i'm not really sure how well this works, but i dont suppose it would hurt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
after all that, you can put your light back together, and proceed to phase three...

<font color="red">caressing</font>
this is the best step /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
simply rotate the threads a bit to make sure everything is smooth, and to help distribute the lube properly. turn it on and off a couple times for your own enjoyment, and watch the lens to make sure it's nice and clean now. run your fingers lightly over the body, and breath in that clean flashlight smell /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I clean the outside surfaces of my waterproof lights fairly frequently because they seem to get a sticky feel, especially in the summer. I simply hold one while I'm washing my hands with a bar of soap. Afterwards, it can feel considerably smoother. I then go directly and naturally to the last stage, caressing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Roth, thanks for sharing the details of your more detailed cleaning and lubing process.

Paul

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lube the orings before I reinstall them. Can't hurt. Nice writeup /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rothrandir,

Thanks!

One question, though. Don't you think an old T-shirt would be better than paper towels? It holds together better, is gentler than a paper towel, and is more absorbent, and is better able to be pushed into threads to clean out the gunk. Perhaps it doesn't really matter, but I am usually wary of using paper towels on anything but metal or uncoated glass. Just my $.02.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
sure, old t-shirt, underwear, shoestrings, whatever floats your bananna /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rothrandir,

Your thread inspired me to clean my SF D2 last night, and I realized that I am uneasy about how to safely remove a tight fitting o-ring. Could you please go into a bit more detail? What do you/should you use to pry up the o-ring out of it's channel? I was thinking of fashioning a pair of metal levers, aluminum or copper or brass or something else soft, rounding the edges and sand blasting them. Would this be over kill?

Also, what about the LOTC? Have you ever disassembled one? Can it be done, and does it need to be done? I mean, the LOTC connects with the very end of the body of the light in order to make electrical contact. Now the end of the bodyt is easily accessible, but the mating tail cap part is hard to reach with anything but a pipe cleaner. This is what I used last night, but I wondered if this was necessary or if there was an easier way and if anyone had ever disassembled a LOTC. Have any advice or comments?

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
jim sexton:

about removing the O-rings, this is what i usually do: use an old T-shirt or rag, and grip the O-ring on opposite ends with your right hand. pinch the O-ring, such that it will squeeze out on one end, then use your left hand to push the protruding portion of the O-ring out of its channel and hold it there. now that you've got a bit of the O-ring out of the channel, use your right hand to get the rest of the O-ring out of its channel.

btw, do not attempt to use a sharp object to prise the O-ring out of its channel. firstly, you risk cutting the O-ring and more importantly, you might put gouges in the channel of the O-ring. if the gouges are deep enough, it might result in the water-resistance of the light getting compromised. i've had a few second-hand lights that showed signs of this when i removed the O-rings for cleaning and lubing, though none have been severe enough to cause the light to leak. just a FYI /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

about the LOTC, the older ones could be disassembled if you have the correct sized allen key, but the new ones have a rivet in place of the screw the old ones have. if i'm not wrong yclo has disassembled an E series LOTC, and the design of the E series LOTC should be similar to the regular surefire LOTCs so he might be able to help you out.

having said that i don't think its necessary to disassemble the LOTC, so long as you don't get something stuck inside in such a way that it impedes the movement of the switch. if grime or dirty lube gets on the lip of the switch that contacts the battery tube, simply using a pipe cleaner (as you have done) or a cotton bud to get rid of the offending grit would suffice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
ah . . . .

chamenos, you are a life saver. Thanks very, very much. That makes perfect sense. I can visualize the o-ring removal procedure now, and I love it. That has got to be the best way to do it. Beautiful.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
jim sexton, you're very welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif it took me a bit of experimenting to get the procedure right; i initially used my fingernails to prise out the O-ring, and though there was no risk of cutting the O-ring or putting gouges in the channel, most of fingernails would end up in bits, stuck in the threads of the lights i had cleaned /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i eventually graduated to using my bare fingers to perform the procedure i described to you, but it only worked on lights with no lube left on the O-ring so using the front of my shirt was a natural progression /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

F22

Newly Enlightened
Could someone please inform me as to where I can purchase some 759g lube?

Thanks

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i got mine from jtivat here, but it appears as if is sold out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

not sure where the best place to order online is. i've never seen any in local places.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roth, very useful! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

For some reason, I find that a damp paper towel is much less likely than a dry one to scratch a lens, and a napkin may be a little softer than paper towel in both cases. Taken to an extreme, I suppose toilet paper might be the softest of all! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

The right waterproof light can make the exterior cleanup VERY easy! For example, I like to use my SL ProPolymer 4AA 7 LED light when I'm likely to get it dirty, 'cause afterward I can just squirt a little dish soap on it and hand wash it with the rest of the dishes! No worries about water leaking inside, and the outside comes clean time after time. Plus, it's lemony fresh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I would advise against throwing it in the dishwasher, though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
milkyspit said:
Roth, very useful! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
...I would advise against throwing it in the dishwasher, though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll have to try that! just have to be careful to use a light i know i can trust /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif