Nitecore IFE with surefire body?

akula88

Enlightened
I saw a listing on a Nitecore IFE-1 with a statement that they are compatible with Surefire E-series bodies.

Is this true? Anybody actually did this? Any photos?

I still have a few SF E1 / E2 units that are now on the reserved status, as well as a Balrog 1.5. Maybe I'll be able to use 17680 or 17500 batts to go the the Nitecore IFE1 head/tail.

archimedes

Flashaholic

akula88

Enlightened
640_IMG_0993_zps9d032a4b.jpg

My Nitecore IFE-1 arrived last week. I found it on sale and better priced over my other 'candidates'. Good and nice gun-metal HA finish. The XML produces a floody beam under the small but deep, slight-orange-peel reflector. The clip sometimes intrudes when you adjust the magnetic control ring using a single hand hold.

640_IMG_0996-7_zps6b224b36.jpg

The head is long, measuring 49mm, half of the light's overall length (at 99.5mm). The switch's spring is long, moderately stiff -- and provides tight positive contact between the battery and the contact on the head. Note on the photo that the battery is protruding -- the negative side is already touching the spring.

So much for it's compatibility with SF E-series. :( It's NOT drop in. This was a main factor why I got this light over Sunwayman V11R. :(

My SF KL1 would screw into the body, with the battery protruding due to the positive spring tension, could not close -- without possible damage on the head's soft contact. Meanwhile, the Nitecore head would NOT screw fully into my E2e (or other E-series that I have). It's possible that the 'negative' threads are relatively tight and needs to be widen (mechanically).

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I bought the IFE1, XML version but, sadly, my e-series bodies and bezels don't work.

E1 body + IFE1 bezel: Bezel screws on but spring is too short, battery doesn't contact the +ve contact in the head. Also o-rings seem too large and gets squished when screwing in the bezel.
E2 body + IFE1 bezel: Same issue
IFE1 Body + E-series bezel (LED dropin): battery protrudes too much from body and bezel cannot screw down at all

I suspect that the IFE1 XPG version works whereas they may have changed the design for the XML version. :thinking:

akula88

Enlightened
Not @RGB -- but I will try to share to you some of my experiences.

I've been using the IFE1 as my secondary EDC, as my keychain-AAA is the primary one. It rides on my clipped on my front pocket when I go out. Firefly mode, minimum from off/hidden strobe mode mode, is perfect for night time trips to the bathroom. I seldom use full mode, as I only go for about 30% of full power most of the time... Magnetic adjustment ring goes almost 330-degrees -- what it lacks are visible markers to know the current settings, unless you turn it on. I placed a personal reference mark (permanent ink marker) on my favorite brightness. Adjusting in the dark, though, takes a bit of familiarization. Clip does protrudes into the adjustment ring (see photo). The rubber boot is not level with the tail, and candlemode is not as stable as it should be. Overall, I'm satisfied with this light.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Scottyhazzard, I've only taken out my IFE1 3 times to check out and I haven't used it since... Mainly because I have a few favourites that I edc and about 7 lights around me as I type this. :devil: But, here are some of my observations... Oh, about your PWM question: I don't notice it at any level, unless I rapidly wave my hand in front of the light. Even then it doesn't annoy me at all. Luckily perhaps, PWM doesn't affect me unless I'm out on the mtb trails, then it's just annoying if it's very obvious.

Positives
- Light is very similar in size and functionality to my JetBeam RTT-0
- Great size and feel in the hand
- Clip works well and it fits in my jeans
- I really like the slight resistence from the magnetic ring, it's much better than my JB RTT-0, whose ring seems a bit too loose
- Ramping from standby to low is quite controllable with very usable levels

Negatives
- Agree with akula88 that the amount of travel on the ring is excessive
- I find the clicky a bit too easy to press (personal preference YMMV)
- The notch between Standby and strobe is not very noticable - wish there was a bit more resistence.
- The hotspot is not particularly well-defined but that's expected for an XML with the small reflector
- Ramping of last 45 or so degrees on hight results in no appreciable change in output (Not a big deal since JB is same. SWM is a bit better with shorter ramping distance)
- I'm not a particular fan of the cool white with slight hint of blue (I've seen worse but it doesn't compare to the N219 or XP-G2 3D tint)
- Neither the bezel nor the body is usable for SF E-series legos!!!

The majority of the negatives are really observations and are really not that significant to me. The two major disappointments for me are: 1. The inability to lego with E-series lights is a big disappointment to me but not entirely a deal breaker and 2. The cool white is not my favourite tint. I am tempted to upgrade the emitter to a neutral XM-L, at which point, I would probably edc this light.

Last edited: