Foursevens Quark Tactical QTL/QTLC

wjv

Enlightened
Anybody have one of these?

Opinions regarding quality?

What I find interesting about this light is that once programed, you have a very simple to use, dual mode light.

The output levels/runtimes with the XP-G2 (gen 2) emitter are:

Lumens....hh:mm
0.24.........360:00
..4.8.........60:00
...26.........13:00
.102.........2:42
.246.........0:48

When I first started buying lights it was all about lumens and throw. But over the years I realized that I mostly use the lowest setting, or one setting up from the lowest, on my flashlights. I have only used the high setting (other than for playing around) 3 or 4 times. What I have been thinking of doing is making this into a "low output" edc, by programming the two levels at (0.24 and 4.8) OR perhaps (4.8 and 26) lumens.

I just ordered a Foursevens Mini-ML (which should arrive tomorrow). It has a low of 3.6, but then jumps to 48 as the next step up. I currently am using a Fenix PD22 as my EDC, but have found that even the 8 lumens it generate is far too bright in many situations (restaurants, theaters) so I've been looking around for something that was in the low single digits. I honestly don't know if I would find a sub-lumen light useful, but am willing to give it a try. One nice thing about this light is while i can program it for low output only, it only takes a few seconds to reprogram it for the higher outputs if the situation dictates that need.

So does anybody have any feedback on this light, or have a recommendation for a different light that could be set up for low output only?

Thanks!

Link to the QTL
http://www.foursevens.com/products/QTL-AE

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a Quark fanboy... they've turned me into a low lumen/night vision/runtime junkie. I'll admit their build quality isn't the best out there, a little better than average, but their lights are built very tough, and even if you end up with a sample that's not, you won't find a better warranty or (US-based) customer service from a Asian-manufactured light... Period.

I use 0.3 and 3 lumens from the low voltage XML heads about 40/40% of the time and maybe 20% for all other modes combined. The 0.3/3 combo hits the sweet spot for me with dark-adapted eyes and provides insane runtimes from a single AA cell. I much prefer the floodier XML beam than XPG, esp. for low lumen use - the brighter spill and broader/less intense hotspot are much easier on my dark-adapted eyes and better suited for close task work. The "brightish" 0.3 lumens moonlight is my ideal reading-in-bed mode and when aimed (like from an aftermarket headband) one of my most often used camping for close task work like cooking/eating. I find it provides plenty of illumination in dark environments, and with ~200 hrs per AA runtimes, it's like having an AC wall socket. You can Lego one with the optional 123 tube, but it costs more. Also XPG models are more likely to have the infamous pre-flash issue.

I like running a tactical XML with a 14500, 3v Lithium CRAA primary, or Eneloop, set on 0.3/3 lms for headlamp/necklamp duty. But for EDC, I prefer the Pro interface since I like having Max readily available... Just in case.

Zebralight makes some high quality, efficient, low lumen lights which you might also consider, and you could just use the low modes (great UI) but the warranty/CS doesn't compare, I question electronic switch reliability, and I find their specs way off the mark - eg, I bought an SC52 for its 0.3/3 lm modes, but I metered mine at a ~ 0.08 lm (useless to me) and 1.5 lm...it's become a shelf queen.

Happy to answer other questions.

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
I have 5 Quarks with that UI, the Quark Turbo works just like the Tactical. I love the system and wish there were more lights with that tactical UI. Set the loose and tight head to what ever mode you want and the light keeps it that way, even through a battery change. I run mine on turbo and Low (not moonlight) my old eyes need just a little more light than they use to, and low is used 90% of the time. But that's the beauty of the system you can set it for your likes and needs. And if something changes it only takes a minute to re-configure the light for a different task. BRILLIANT FLASHLIGHT IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE!

notandyk

Newly Enlightened
one thing that i wasn't sure about: can you program strobe as one of the two programmable modes?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Mini123 (predecessor to the ML) and a Quark Pro 123 without the clip (QPLC, i think).

The mini has been in my pocket every day for the last two years and it has been an excellent EDC.

The Quark Pro has been with me since December 2013, and I LOVE the moon mode for when I get up in the middle of the night, or when I need to go check on my toddler. It's the perfect amount of light for navigating with dark adapted eyes. On the flip side, I tighten the head and get 246 lumens which is actually really bright for such a small package.

As was said above, you can't beat the warranty support on what is a Chinese made light. 10 year warranty, and the service center is right here in the USA.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
I have the QTL, and often carry it as a backup light. It would work fine as a primary light. It is the smallest true tactical light I have seen. If you like to be able to change modes with one hand, you may prefer the version without the clip. For me, I like having a clip.