My Ra EDC is not working

BIGLOU

Enlightened
I dont know how I would search for my specific problem and dont want to go through thousands of replies on the HDS threads. So my Ra EDC is not working, I have tinkered with it and no dice. Here is the problem first of all I install the battery by unscrewing the head from the body and not the tailcap the reason is because it is much easier that going though the tailcap. OK thats out of the way, so when changing the battery the light goes on on what appears a low mode right when I start screwing the body to the head then the light turns off after a few turns. I tried both a primary and a charged RCR123. I do use my Ra and it's pretty minty. I cleaned the threads and checked the wire thingy on the battery tube and I also did see that there appears to be some contact by the markings on the circuit board behind the led. I appreciate any help. These are a little more complicated than my SF 6Ps.

Last edited:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think all you gotta do is a reset, but not sure how to do it. If no one relies by morning. I'd give Henry a call, and I'm sure Henry will go over it with you. If he see's a problem with the light, he'll ask you to send it in! I sent two lights to him after he went over the light with me over the phone, and both times he had the lights back to me in a week or so (give or take a day).

Good Luck!

BIGLOU

Enlightened
AZPops thanks for the reply I may try phoning him first, just thought I'd give you guys a shot. I'd hate to send it in knowing he is super busy. I'll try to find the instructions that came with the light and see if i see anything about a reset. Thanks again.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
AZPops thanks for the reply I may try phoning him first, just thought I'd give you guys a shot. I'd hate to send it in knowing he is super busy. I'll try to find the instructions that came with the light and see if i see anything about a reset. Thanks again.

... One thing I notice about Henry, even if he's busy, you'll never know it while talking to him (I've called a half dozen times). He'll take the time necessary to insure both you or he understands the problem, never in a rush, nor making you feel rushed either!

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Hi Biglou;

. . . so when changing the battery the light goes on on what appears a low mode right when I start screwing the body to the head then the light turns off after a few turns.

So far, that sounds exactly what's supposed to happen: it lights briefly to indicate that it has detected the battery voltage (soft reset).

From the User's Guide:

As you screw the battery compartment and head back together and if
the battery compartment has been removed for an extended period,
the light comes on dimly for 7 seconds following a battery change to
indicate that a soft reset has taken place and that your flashlight is
functioning correctly.

So far, so good. What actually happens once you have screwed it fully back together ?

BIGLOU

Enlightened
Moonshadow thanks for the info. Once the 7 seconds are over the light does turn off and I continue to screw it back together but it wont turn on when I press the tailcap button. I only have one Ra and dont own a HDS to swap tailcaps to see if the tailcap is the problem. I may just try putting in the battery through the tailcap end maybe I'm taking too long to screwing it down.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I install the battery by unscrewing the head from the body and not the tailcap the reason is because it is much easier that going though the tailcap.

Do you mean you can install the battery from either the head or the tailcap ? Then this light is an HDS EDC (B42, U42, B60, U60 and so on...) ? It looks like a Novatac ? The name RA was used when Henry introduced the Clicky, unless you own an early prototype...

On this model, depending of it's generation, the contact spring could be the problem. I had to straight up mine because it was not properly touching the contacts in the tailcap...

BIGLOU

Enlightened
derfyled sorry for the confusion I remove the head from the body (not the bezel) and I put the battery in the body tube and then I screw the head part back on the body. This is an older Ra EDC Legacy Series I believe (non ACME threads). I'm at work right now but I see your point in straightening up the contacts on the tailcap they are them two half circle wires right? I'll try it when I get home as this is one thing I have not tried. Thanks.

BIGLOU

Enlightened
I dont think I overtightened it but maybe the tailcap is, I'll have to try adjusting them two little wires.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
derfyled sorry for the confusion I remove the head from the body (not the bezel) and I put the battery in the body tube and then I screw the head part back on the body. This is an older Ra EDC Legacy Series I believe (non ACME threads). I'm at work right now but I see your point in straightening up the contacts on the tailcap they are them two half circle wires right? I'll try it when I get home as this is one thing I have not tried. Thanks.

Since it has the 2 brass wires, my guess is that it's a pre-RA HDS. I guess it looks like this one ?

http://outdoors.magazine.free.fr/local/cache-vignettes/L500xH375/HDS_EDC_ULTIMATE-c06e8.jpg

If yes, the tailcap is often the problem. Henry might be able to help you but if not, Lighthound.com still sells these tailcaps in 2 version. I suggest the version B, the spring is a bit more reliable than the wire version.

The reset procedure might also help. Screw the tailcap on and as soon as you see the 7 second dim light (which is a battery detection routine...), immediatly press and hold the button. The light will get brighter and will turn off after a couple of seconds. When it turns off, you can release the button.

Last edited:

BIGLOU

Enlightened
Ok got home and bent the 2 brass wires a bit and it looks like that was the issue. Oh and correction I just checked and removing the head from the body is the only way to put the battery in. I confused it with my Novatac Storm which does have the capabilty to put the battery at the tailcap end but I do it by taking the head off anyway. Thanks for all the info guys going to EDC my Ra tonight at work and test her out more. derfyled thanks for the heads up on lighthound going to look into the version B.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you get the same issue again, you can use your storm body on your HDS... it will help diagnose the problem.