Are there any quality protected 18500's other than AW?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Essentially, the protected cells ARE Panasonic or Sanyo cells that a second party added the protection and a new label to.

AW for example does that. So does Eagletac, Fastech, Xtar, Callies Kustoms, Redilast, and so forth. In other words, AW doesn't make the cells, its doing what the others do, adding protection circuits and a new label, and reselling the cells.

The new label is a wrap that protects the new circuits.

The ones I listed are essentially using the same cells as AW's.....but each has their own protection/label. You don't HAVE TO get AW to get good quality. If you look at HJK's reviews of all the available high quality protected cells, you'll see AW is not that different, or even better. Its a great cell source, but, so are the others, and Fastech's are ~ 1/2 the price for example.

The sizes are different too though, due to each's protection circuits being different. Look at HJK's reviews, and you'll open a world of other options.

:D

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're looking for the 17670 cells, Redilast has protected cells using the Sanyo 16650 ~2100mAh base cell, for a 'rebranded' size of 17670ish size.

Chris

seems like a keeppower. too long for most 2x CR123 lights. personally i use unprotected button-top sanyo UR16650ZT

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keeppower 18500s seem to be the only quality alternative to AW for protected batts, unfortunately economical sources are a problem.
Since these will be used in a multi-battery light, protection is preferred. Got a good deal on the AWs so all is well.

BTW; I have a couple Keeppower/Sanyo 16650s and they've worked very well so far in my Quark QP2L-X.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
seems like a keeppower. too long for most 2x CR123 lights. personally i use unprotected button-top sanyo UR16650ZT

Fits perfectly in my unbored 6P LED, but the spring is etching a circle onto the protection circuit plate, but that's more a function of the Z41 tailcap and not the length of the battery.

They even fit fine in my ZL SC-600 and Fenix PD32.

They were fairly cheap and shipped from Redilast in California.

Chris