Flashlight's Impact Resistant

Petir

Newly Enlightened
Newbie question :eek:

What's the meaning of the "impact resistant" specification of a flashlight?
If a flashlight has 1.5 m impact resistant, what will happen if it's dropped from 2 m height?
Will the body breaks or dent? The LED or reflector gets misaligned or something?

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those and/or more :)

They're saying it won't break from a 1.5m drop, but there's every chance it'll survive a larger drop.

I've had driver boards crack from large drops (not my lights, but I was asked to fix them) and soldering break. Glass can break and the body can be damaged to the point the threads won't turn, etc.

The best solution is not to drop it, or drop it into a bucket of pudding.

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened
Simple get a lanyard and wrap it around your wrist.

If you watch on YouTube IE4\8 Torture test you will see that although there rated for xxx drop night, they far far suparss this and I imagine many lights from many manufacturs do.

Although I still wouldn't get an IE4 as I have a D40A, and its not just raw brute strength that determines durability, its also how reliable it is (ahem Swollen switch fiacso) ect...

Poppy

Flashaholic

If a flashlight has 1.5 m impact resistant, what will happen if it's dropped from 2 m height?
Will the body breaks or dent? The LED or reflector gets misaligned or something?

When I see numbers like that I shrug my shoulders and say to myself... "oh yeah, a limitations of liability clause".
1.5 meters, what's that? Chest height?

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ANSI drop test is along the lines of, " a few samples are dropped from x.x meters onto Hard surface in several orientations. None broke." You could drop a 3-meter rated light 3 or 6 and not know if it will break or live.

Dropping is hard on lights and batteries. I've had batteries lose contact from denting severely inside an undamaged light. Wrist strap is a good idea in general.

Petir

Newly Enlightened
Simple get a lanyard and wrap it around your wrist.

If you watch on YouTube IE4\8 Torture test you will see that although there rated for xxx drop night, they far far suparss this and I imagine many lights from many manufacturs do.

Although I still wouldn't get an IE4 as I have a D40A, and its not just raw brute strength that determines durability, its also how reliable it is (ahem Swollen switch fiacso) ect...

You meant Nitecore EA4/EA8 videos, right? I have just watched those... very cool.
It seems the flashlight was at around 6 - 7 meters height before hit the tarmac, and it survived :thumbsup:

When I see numbers like that I shrug my shoulders and say to myself... "oh yeah, a limitations of liability clause".
1.5 meters, what's that? Chest height?

I guess it will be hard to prove it to the Customer Support how high the flashlight was dropped :D

The ANSI drop test is along the lines of, " a few samples are dropped from x.x meters onto Hard surface in several orientations. None broke." You could drop a 3-meter rated light 3 or 6 and not know if it will break or live.

Dropping is hard on lights and batteries. I've had batteries lose contact from denting severely inside an undamaged light. Wrist strap is a good idea in general.

I have just read the Sony's li-ion battery specification, it is mentioned that the cell can get internally short-circuited too due to impact.
I agree that using lanyard/wrist strap is a good idea, but sometimes I feel too lazy especially if I am expecting to use the flashlight for just a few minutes.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Some might not survive a 2' drop if its the lens straight down onto the point of a nail, etc....but some might, and, some seem all but indestructible in practice.

Generally, the ones with well potted electronics, gaskets and springs that absorb the impacts, a lot of thread overlap at connections, and other tougher features that allow the fall to not crush your cells or deform something functional...are the ones I try to use.

A dent or scratch is another story.

The main thing I see, if there's general pattern, is that if all else is equal, its a LOT harder for a larger heavier light to survive the same drop as a smaller lighter light.

A 1" diameter aluminum tube the same wall thickness as a 3" aluminum tube, will be harder to break or structurally damage...and the heavier one will simply hit with more force when it does land.

The 'Ol force = mass times acceleration thing can be brutal, and they fall at the same speed....so, the mass is the killer on the larger lights.

The drop ratings so far that I've seen are realistic for practical purposes, and, can actually be very conservative to avoid instilling "A false sense of security" to the potential droppers.

:D

yifu

Enlightened
That's where the Malkoffs M60s in a solid host shine, thick acrylic lens that resist any impact and maintains water resistance even if the main lens is compromised, potted electronics, heavy duty springs that limit battery movement in a fall and a traditional twisty switch with absolutely nothing to fail.

RefrigerationGuy

Newly Enlightened
I have two nitecore p12s that failed from being dropped far less than their drop rating. In fact, the last one failed from a 2 foot drop onto concrete. It had never been dropped previously and was less than two weeks old. The other one was dropped a couple times and eventually failed. Again, fewer times than that of the rating standard and was only a couple months old. They were never abused in any way. They both had a crack on the black plastic part that is behind the chip. They have a rating of 1.5 meters. They never saw a drop from that height. I'm thoroughly disgusted with the flashlight and now I've been waiting nearly two weeks for a warranty response from the company.

JPHIII

Newly Enlightened
I too had a Nitecore fail from a drop from a pocket...What a Joke! I had to pay $5 Bones + Shipping to get a new head assembly from the place that I bought it from. That is not a Warranty in my opinion. If it is advertised to withstand a drop from 1.5 meters than it should be warranted as-such. I will not purchase another Nitecore, either. So Be It...

josekym

Newly Enlightened
My new Acebeam L10 rolled off a 27-inch table-top and landed on its side on a concrete floor. It died on the spot I think, since it now refuses to turn-on. Tried opening the head assembly and found a broken part inside. Will have to find a similar part for replacement. :(

4v6DpB3hF339KbNi6

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
Broke a Surefire P2X lens when it dropped out of my pocket onto the bezel on concrete.

I was not amused.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Iirc it's dropped 10 times at rated height. As said at various angles.
It should also be noted the term impact 'resistance' has a far different meaning than impact 'proof' at a given height.

Resistance means 'unlikely, but not guaranteed but might so it's our choice whether to replace it'.
Proof mean 'aint supposed to' and 'we'll give you a new one if it does'.

josekym

Newly Enlightened
Iirc it's dropped 10 times at rated height. As said at various angles.

This is true for all manufacturers? I have dropped my MagLED 2AA several times (from as high as 1m), even resulting in dents/scratches on the flashlight head and body, but the light still works. I'm peeved at my Acebeam L10 since it dropped from a lower height, not even a scratch on the body, and yet it is dead.

The image I uploaded in my previous post did not seem to show, but I snapped a pic of the L10 head assembly which I opened for inspection.

Trying the images again here:

https://goo.gl/photos/Lt8s5iQfreSpMbgbA
https://goo.gl/photos/6dmKnYGeGFEToECw8

Yamabushi

Enlightened
Excerpts from ANSI FL-1:
Each sample is dropped 6 times using impact orientations that approximate a cube. Each sample must be released on each orientation of the approximated cube. Samples must be marked prior to the drop test in a manner that can assure that all 6 drop orientations are tested.
Dropped samples must not exhibit any cracks or breaks visible with normal vision.
The product must remain fully functional. Some reassembly is allowed prov1ded that it is done without any tool or replacement components.
Cosmetic defects such as scuffs, scratches, rubs, or abrasions will not be considered reasons for failure.
All five test samples must pass the rated height.
Ratings in excess of 1 m shall be reported with values rounded down to the nearest whole meter.

A couple of (cynical) observations:
The manufacturer could keep dropping samples until he gets 5 in a row that pass.
The rounding down rule means a rating of 1.5 m is not allowed under ANSI FL-1.

Latest posts