A simple Sunwayman S10R review

lronchef

Newly Enlightened
Sorry this will not be rich in photos, save one, but I thought I'd give my two cents (about all it's worth) on my new light. I actually bought two, one for my mother because she needs a proper EDC light instead of the garbage her husband gives her from Ace that's "just as bright and only $2!" I can't get her one and not get myself one.

I wanted to go for the following criteria: small as possible, use one CR123 cell, be as bright as you can get, and of course be <$50. Batteryjunction had these so I did a quick review here for opinions and beamshots and then shopped around.

I doubt it's 360L out the front, but then I've long since consigned myself to believing lumen ratings or understanding the difference between at the emitter and out the front. DOesn't matter, it's brighter slightly than my longtime favorite (5 years or so now!) Fenix P3D premium which is rated at 220L or there abouts.

This review will be in comparison to my Fenix P3d which uses two cells and has a Q5 emitter. THe S10R has the XML-2 or something and boasts 360L.

The beam is wide, smooth with much less pronounced hot spot than the P3D. THis light is tiny but fits nicely and with the grip texture, knurling, and other grip enhancements it is much easier to activate than my P3D. Some of the tail stand is also scalloped out on opposing sides to further facilitate my thumb getting in there to activate. I can use the broad part of my thumb to activate it where with my P3D I have to use the point of my thumb and that causes loss of grip a little.

Here's where things go bad... There is no 2nd platform on one of the S10R lights I got and on one light the Turbo mode with the strobe mode are opposite from the second light. The turbo platform is supposed to start with strobe first then go to the steady turbo light. They are opposite from one light to the other. One light doesn't have the second platform at all (low, med, high, sos, slow flasher) as advertised. As far as emitters, one is a very attractive mild tint, one is the more obnoxious blue tint.

So other than the programming/modes, missing modes, and the emitter tints, the light is fantastic. The shape, size, looks, head housing, o-ring lubricity, flat threads, texture, grippiness, lanyard accessory - ALL TOP QUALITY.

Sadly because of the emitters, broken and mismatched light modes, I feel I can't trust Sunwayman and feel much like I just took a chance buying super cheap lights from DXtreme or something with it's 50/50 chance of something working.

Because I'm so sick of returning merchandise and hassling with vendors, shipping, and waiting (An AK74 came to me today with a jacked up front sight and crooked gas block; some croc sandles came today at least a size too small, and there's been other recent disappointments), I'm going to eat this $90 spent at Batteryjunction and settle for these mediocre Sunwayman S10Rs. Mom gets the hotter one, I'll keep the more broken one with only turbo mode.
IMG_7907_zps7f236b78.jpg

Kueh

Newly Enlightened
You need to tighten your head to get the regular mode with which you can program. Loose head let's you program the turbo mode. Long 16340's might interfere with the loose/right head function.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a SWM V10R in May of '12 from Battery Junction. In April of '13, it stopped working on 3.0v primaries, but would work with RCR123/16340s. Also, there was a hitch at about the 70% output mark, where the light would just ramp up to HIGH. I decided to send it in to BJ for service/replacement and signed the form for 'paying for shipping to China'.

About two months later, I got an email stating that SWM couldn't repair the light and they couldn't replace it, as that model was discontinued in lieu of the V11R. BJ stated that they'd just send me a V11R and asked me what emitter did I want. They said everything was on them, so no shipping for either item.

Cool beans I thought?

Over Thanksgiving weekend, I picked up a M11R in tan, which was the color the V10R was, but the V11R comes only in black. I wanted tan, even though the M11R is possibly a step down from the V11R. $45.50 with discount and free shipping.

You should be able to send those lights back for $7, via the USPS, since they're not too heavy.

Call/email BatteryJunction and get an RMA number. You should be happy and you should get what you paid for. BJ really does have good customer service, as I've experienced and I've now down 5-6 deals with them.

Consider this penance for buying CROCS!

I've got a Century Tantal build that I got back in '08. Shoots great, but it's one from the batch where they evidently used .224" bores and I get 'some' key-holing on the 70gr Wolf ammo I got, but it shoots nuts on with the 52gr Bulgarian WASP stuff. My front sight post was parked over and I can't budge it at all, but I added a little bit 'wire insulation' to raise it up a bit and things are kosher, if not a bit imperfect!

Send those lights back. You'll be happy when you get working ones. Consider the tiny V11R and the M11R for mom. Nifty little lights that can throw pretty well, especially on Li-Ions.

Chris

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got one a few days ago and it is going back. Not a bad multi mode light, I do like the strobe mode too,, Also doubt it is 360,,Back to my trusty E1b,,I'd keep the SWM but the clip sucks,,it is almost like a e1b clip but not flush where you slide it in your pocket bezel down,,it is a B****H to get on you pocket..Lanyard is good though