Best Streamlight Twin-Task light for general use??

DDS

Enlightened
I was looking at these lights and was trying to decide on the best model for general illumination considering weight/size. The 3C looks pretty nice but the 2D appears closer in size to my PT Surge that I use alot(even with 4 batteries). Uses would include: walking dark trails at night, docking boat at night, walking dog, hauling wood in from woods, general camping chores, etc. Any personal experiences or feedback would be appreciated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Thanks! Dave

DDS

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply! How about the SL lithium powered high flux luxeon models? Are they pretty nice? Do they do a better job at "throw" or diffuse? I like a happy medium and not a concentrated beam. I have always been happy with my Scorpion and I also like my Inova. I just thought that with the combo of LED and Xenon I would have the best of both worlds?? Thanks for your time!

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
DDs- the TL-2 Led is more of a thrower, than an area light. The TL-3 LED still has nice throw, exceeding the L4, but has a fantastic uniform spill that I find very useful. They are both great lights, particularily considering the low $$$.

I have multiples of all the Twin-Tasks, except the 2 D (don't like the form factor, and it is relatively dim in Xenon mode). The rest are superb, fit and finish are flawless, my MOST used lights.

It sounds like you are not particularly concerned about size. With that said, the 3C TT is awesome, lonnngggg run time, with the added advantage of 3/6 LEDs, and the bright Xenon. The 2L TT has a little brighter Xenon, smaller; the 1L is fine, small, bright Xenon for a 3 volt. Get them all............

Calvin

Newly Enlightened
DDS- I use my flashlight everyday at work I prefer the smaller size. I now have a Mini Mag that I use but want to replace it. I do like the size of a 2AA flashlight. I was on Nuwai.com and I beleive they make the twin task flashlights for Streamlight. On their web site they have some new models, particularly the AL-32AA. This light has 3 leds/xenon configuration and only runs on 2 AA batteries, perfect for what I am looking for. The problem is, the company only sells in bulk quantities to other stores or manufacturers. I have been trying to find somewhere where I could purchase their AL-32AA. Check out their web site, and look at all their flashlights they make. If you find any information on where I could get an AL-32AA and could pass it along to me that be great. Thanks

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
TT-2L or TT-3C have the brightest Xenon, and the 3C has incredible run time (so long as it performs to spec.)

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the 3C and the 2L.

I strongly prefer the 2L and have recommended it to several people wanting something better than their Maglight.

Both the biggest advantage and the biggest shortcoming of the 2L is that it uses lithium batteries.

The lithium batteries have a very high energy density allowing a very bright flashlight (brighter than my 3C), that is smaller than your outstretched hand. Another advantage of the lithium battiers is their very long storage life and preformance in a temperature extremes. So if you want a flashlight you can stick away forget about and be reasonably confident the batteries will be good, lithium is best.

The price you pay for that, is a shorter runtime and batteries that you will have to order on the internet to be reasonable in cost ($1-$1.50 each).

Of course the standard recommendation is buy them both! Both of these together are cheaper than a Surefire E2e. They compliment each other and are good purchased as a set. That way you have a small pockable light that is always ready and a larger light using common batteries.

GregR

Catapult

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Calvin said:
...I was on Nuwai.com and I beleive they make the twin task flashlights for Streamlight...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a common misconception. The Streamlight Twin Tasks are not made by Nuwai, though some of the lights have similar functions, and look somewhat similar.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are used to a mini mag, then the 2L is the way to go. A GREAT light for the money!! The Surefire A2 has a similar form factor with the advantage of regulated voltage to both the Xenon and LED's and is SLIGHTLY smaller and much brighter, but cost 4-5 times as much. It is the ultimate in this class, as far as I can tell, but you pay for that. I have all three and love the A2, but for the money, the 2L is the way to go!

Bill

DDS

Enlightened
JohnK : Thanks for your input

Sounds like the TT-2L is the way to go. Probably will get the 3C too but I have read that the LED's are very bluish. I'll check them out. Thanks!

DDS

Enlightened
Calvin : Thanks for info!

The 2AA idea is very appealing. I will have to look into that product.

DDS

Enlightened
Beretta1526: Sounds like I should buy both :)!

Thanks for your insight!

DDS

Enlightened
Double_A : General consensus sounds like buy both!

I appreciate your rationale :)

DDS

Enlightened
bwaites: I will research the A2 also before ...

purchasing the recommended "both" 3C and TT-L2. Thanks for another decision!!!

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: bwaites: I will research the A2 also before ..

I seem to remember reading that the 2D led's are much dimmer than the 3c or 2L's. Check the reviews I guess. I don't think I'd want to take either the 3C or 2D walking in the woods. They are just too big and weigh too much. I don't really see a big need for a "swiss army flashlight" with both led and incan functions. That is, it's nice, but you MIGHT do better with two flashlights, a low powered one and a high powered one. You might just get a Streamlight 4AA 7LED light which is a nice wide beam for walking, and pull out your Surge (or a Surefire G2 or E2e or whatever) for when you want to scorch something.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Just bringing back the title of the thread. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DDS, 5 posts in a row is a bit overkill don't you think? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
Please use a single post next time, it does help saving bandwith. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

TIA,

Geode

Enlightened
Re: bwaites: I will research the A2 also before ...

DDS,

My TL-2 LEDs do have a definite blue-ish tint to the light, but generally that has been quite acceptable for general illumination purposes. However, when needing more white light, I use the incandescent. Works much better when checking how well done beef is on the barbeque. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DDS

Enlightened
B@rt : I see your point about the multiple posts..

I came in to work and thought I would reply to each person who took the time to answer my questions. I was trying to be courteous :)! Besides being tedious, I realized after doing so that I should have combined all my replies in one post. I don't post much and therefore am not "seasoned" at it. I will remember to do so in the future.

For all those above and below this post, thank you for the feedback :)! Dave

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: B@rt : I see your point about the multiple posts..

DDS no problem, it just makes for easier readibilty too.