Minimus vs Minimus AA

gwd

Newly Enlightened
Anybody have hands-on experience with both of these? Could you share your impressions?

Size, weight, CR123 vs AA, overall intuitive preference

EricSF

Newly Enlightened
Minimus AA is ridiculously uncomfortable vs. the 123 which i can wear all day long. They used the same neoprene pad on the AA as on the 123 but it's a much heavier, front-loaded light. For me, the AA version is unusable. I love the 123 version but frankly, I have switched to the Zebralight H52W for more output (280 vs. 100 lumens) with a single AA Eneloop instead of a 123 and it has a better runtime. The H52 is very light also. I view the H52 as new technology and the Minimus as an old revision, H52W wins on all counts (costs less too!).

Last edited:

gwd

Newly Enlightened
Minimus AA is ridiculously uncomfortable vs. the 123 which i can wear all day long. They used the same neoprene pad on the AA as on the 123 but it's a much heavier, front-loaded light. For me, the AA version is unusable. I love the 123 version but frankly, I have switched to the Zebralight H52W for more output (280 vs. 100 lumens) with a single AA Eneloop instead of a 123 and it has a better runtime. The H52 is very light also. I view the H52 as new technology and the Minimus as an old revision, H52W wins on all counts (costs less too!).

THANKS

Do you have experience in how parasitic drain on the Minimus-cr123 compares to the drain of the H52W?

EricSF

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight says the parasitic drain on the H52W is negligible (much less than the self discharging of a battery). Not sure on the Surefire specs. Mine never sat around long because I used it so much but never had a battery draining problem.

gwd

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight says the parasitic drain on the H52W is negligible (much less than the self discharging of a battery). Not sure on the Surefire specs. Mine never sat around long because I used it so much but never had a battery draining problem.

I found it odd that there was no "battery lock out" on the Minimus. On most of SF tac lights you can turn an extra turn to fully disengage the battery from activating.