Super Thrower BARRETT40 Project.

DenBarrettSAR

Enlightened
Think of four de-domed XM-L2 U2 emitters on copper Noctigons mounted to solid copper heat sinks using Heat-pipe CPU cooling design & cooling fan, in 4 of the heavily modified Defiant Super Thrower heads, (DST) on a custom body using two ( or three) battery tubes from donor Skyray Kings to hold a total of eight (or twelve) 18650's in parallel for high amps, driving the emitters at 6 to 7 amps each or more from four seperate custom drivers, and fine-focused to achieve the farthest throw possible.

Construction on this custom built light is underway now, and regardless of cost its goal is to go after the farthest throw possible from 4 emitters driven to the extreme.
Sample pics below of the original plan design, but now already the design & plan modded for better output.

More updates to come later.

Barrett40_zps536c02e3.jpg

BARRETT4001_zpsa9d43595.jpg

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Based upon what you are saying, you might consider adding Waivien Light Collars/aspherical lenses as well. That would add a huge boost in cd.

I'm not sure a DST reflector bowl is the pinnacle state of the art way to get cost is no object throw either?

In any event, it sure sounds fun!

:D

Last edited:

Esko

Enlightened
Well that seems like a pretty insane light in many ways. It should give you some 6000 lumens and something like 1 million cp (perhaps more, depending on those heavy modifications you mentioned). If cost was really not an issue I would probably have chosen some other way though.

Interesting to see the results and final product. How did you plan to carry out the cooling with heatpipe design and cooling fan? What about the electric design (4 drivers, 1-3 parallel battery tubes (4-12 batteries), one switch?). Will you be isolating the battery tubes electrically from each other? You probably have to redesign the handle. This light will be quite heavy and with the current design, it will be pretty front heavy, too. It would be more comfortable to use if the handle was closer to the center of weight.

Based upon what you are saying, you might consider adding Waivien Light Collars as well. That would add a huge boost in cd.

That would work only with Aspherical lenses. Not with reflectors.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Right, finished the edit. The DST reflector as not being the ideal state of the art solution was the reference to the aspherical being able to throw farther, etc.

:D

On the other hand, if he was not going for just throw, but would give up say half the cd to get more flood, etc...then reflectors would be OK.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I would imagine that it would probably still throw much further if you found or machined a head and Aspherical lens of the same size as those 4 heads combined and used one central overdriven XPG-2 with a Waivien Collar to achieve it.

I have mash.m's Black Bullet thrower which achieves, according to his measurements, over a million lux per meter with a head that's much smaller than one which would amount to the combined diameter of your 4 heads.

According to all the principles that I have read behind throw, one central emitter behind an Aspheric will always achieve more throw than splitting them up into a higher number of smaller units.

The overdriven XP-G2 emitters will have far more surface brightness than their XM-L2 counterparts too and are the more suitable emitter choice for pure throw. This is the reason saabluster uses them in his DEFTX and mash.m uses them in his Black Bullet.

Last edited:

las3r

Enlightened
im working on my own custom thrower/Waivien Collar once done ill post a review of it and will only cost around $10 for the collar

PS: u need my Duel lens aspheric set up its 4 inches in size and will throw a pencil beam once i find a host for it