More info about Zebralights ?

Joys_R_us

Newly Enlightened
I am just curious. How big is a company like Zebralights, how many employees, how many lights do they sell per year ???

Intending to order a "backlog" lamp at them and wonder how they manage the development of new lights (I know the production is in China) if they do not sell thousands of these nice pieces. You don't come across these lights in "normal" shops so I can't imagine they can sell them in huge numbers.

any idea ?

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight is a privately held, foreign company. They do have a presence inside the USA, but they are NOT an American company.

Because they are privately held, there is little requirement for them to provide the info you seek. I'm sure you could find it with some research, but it isn't going to be super easy to find.

I'd strongly recommend finding a local retailer, if you can. Zebralight is notorious for delays - I pre-ordered the SC600 2 months before it was supposed to be released, and it was about five weeks after the release date before I actually got it. Others who waited and bought it from a retailer had it a few days after it came out, for less money, and could use the customer service of the seller if there was a problem. All around, a much better deal.

Joys_R_us

Newly Enlightened
Thx, now I found out, owner is George Yao, CFO is Ling Yao. Company founded in Nov. 2009.

why cant they produce enough lights so there is seemingly a consistent backlog ? Or is this company just a hobby of them ?

markr6

Flashaholic
Thx, now I found out, owner is George Yao, CFO is Ling Yao. Company founded in Nov. 2009.

why cant they produce enough lights so there is seemingly a consistent backlog ? Or is this company just a hobby of them ?

I'm DYING to know the same things. In the meantime, I'm happy with my Zebralights but there is room for some small improvements that would make a HUGE impact IMO.

Etsu

Enlightened
Yeah, they certainly don't seem to have a handle on inventory management. Seems like they don't really care about it. They cancelled the SC52w which was so popular it was out of stock everywhere, just to replace it at some time in the future with the exact same thing except a tweak to the UI. Seems like a dumb business decision to miss out on months of sales just for that. Maybe it is just a hobby business.

markr6

Flashaholic
I think they forgot the password to their Facebook page too :whistle:

jasonbulb

Newly Enlightened
I've given up searching for an SC52w. It just wasn't meant to be I guess. It's difficult to find any of their lights in stock, and if you do find them, they are usually priced over retail. They're not winning many friends with their inventory issues.

LEDburn

Enlightened
I ordered another H52fw and emailed to check the ETA and was told up to a month before it ships so cancelled and ordered a H600fw last week which was listed as back ordered. 2 days later it shipped out but the status of the product remained the same: back ordered.
I managed to find a H52fw on Illumination Supply and had it arrive at my door in Australia 5 days after it shipped!!! (Amazing speed for the budget shipping option)

Perhaps they have a constant trickle leaving the factory? Enough to fill orders on lights that only have a few people waiting within a few days but not enough to warrant placing the item as 'in stock' status. Maybe they want to have a set amount like 100 units or something before they list it as being available..

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

Best bet is to direct the questions straight at the maker themselves,selling lights to the hobby trade maybe a very tiny part of there business and perhaps they have military or government contracts to concentrate on.Anorak wearers can only make a reasonable reply if they have a bit more inside knowledge.

ps I lived in Berlin in the mid 2000,s and most stores stocked Led Lenser.

Joys_R_us

Newly Enlightened
I won't order at a manufacturer without knowing the delivery time. ZL is a strange company. Have you looked up their address at Google Earth ?

Am falling back to Eagletac TX25 which has better throw and one stop high klick (even momentary, which I really like).

PS: own already a Led Lenser which I bought before becoming aware of the real alternatives here... :)

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I won't order at a manufacturer without knowing the delivery time. ZL is a strange company. Have you looked up their address at Google Earth ?
i don't see anything special on Google Maps tbh. you should try Armytek hq, much more interesting ;)

pebbles

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't be surprised if they come out with an sc602 soon. I would wait until you see some changes on their site. There is a "contact us" click at the top of the page with a Texas address. I'm thinking you would get a response. No?

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS has supply issues too. Are people complaining of their $15 shipping charge ? NO.
Lets not forget ZL has free shipping.
Very interesting the majority of ZL posting are always on the negative side or to discredit their products, delivery times etc.
It just goes to show how things are managed around here.
Not sure if Size15 - Forum Moderator is still around, but one thing for sure, he would never allow bashing of Surefire at all, members may even get banned.
With ZL every other week or so someone will start a Negative thread not matter what it is about. Looks like this is done in purpose no way this is a coincidence.
Well it looks like ZL does not have the same clout as SF.

Etsu

Enlightened
HDS has supply issues too. Are people complaining of their $15 shipping charge ? NO.
Lets not forget ZL has free shipping.
Very interesting the majority of ZL posting are always on the negative side or to discredit their products, delivery times etc.
It just goes to show how things are managed around here.
Not sure if Size15 - Forum Moderator is still around, but one thing for sure, he would never allow bashing of Surefire at all, members may even get banned.
With ZL every other week or so someone will start a Negative thread not matter what it is about. Looks like this is done in purpose no way this is a coincidence.
Well it looks like ZL does not have the same clout as SF.

That certainly sounds like a conspiracy theory.

Or, it could just be that ZL's are very hard to get right now and people are complaining about it.

But I'm sure you're going with the conspiracy theory....

mikeymoto

Newly Enlightened
In general I think it's better business for a niche brand to have limited supply to create demand, and reduce the chances of an inventory of products you can't move as soon as the next iteration is coming off the line.

As to threads here on CPF, the saying goes...there is no such thing as bad press.