Current setting for LS3 driver board ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone remember the current the LS3s was set for ?

Was anything else besides the emitter different to a LS2 ?

TIA

Klaus

Brlux

Enlightened
the current is set to 330 ma (.15 ohm resistor) and the only difference from the LS2 board that i can see (i have taken mine apart) is the emiter.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hence that's why it was referred to as "underdriven at 2.5 watts"

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thx all

LOL @ Chris - Except yours /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif How would you set it now given all that you/we learned about the LT1618 lately - again at 667ma or lower ? Any recommendations / suggestions for a 17670 LiIon / 5W LS setup ?

Klaus

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a home-made LS3 that I made around the time the real LS3 came out biased at 667mA. I didn't have rechargeable Li-Ions then but now that I do it does work quite well. I would probably not go much above that on 17670's, maybe 750mA tops if you want it to stay in regulation for a decent amount of time.

CM

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Chris,

I was even expecting you to propose a lower setting due to the recent posts re 123 power draw and such including your Spice simulation of the LT1618 - I´ll probably crosspost in that thread and ask Doug to chim in - maybe you could do a similar simulation than you did for the 123 setup ? My gut feeling is that probably the LT1618 with one Li-Ion driving a 5W LS might have a lower sense-making treshhold even than 700ma. Sense-making defined as a good compromise between energy usage and brightness.

Klaus

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Klaus said:
Thanks Chris,

I was even expecting you to propose a lower setting due to the recent posts re 123 power draw and such including your Spice simulation of the LT1618 - I´ll probably crosspost in that thread and ask Doug to chim in - maybe you could do a similar simulation than you did for the 123 setup ? My gut feeling is that probably the LT1618 with one Li-Ion driving a 5W LS might have a lower sense-making treshhold even than 700ma. Sense-making defined as a good compromise between energy usage and brightness.

Klaus

[/ QUOTE ]

Klaus, your gut and mine have the same feeling. Furthermore, I don't see a 1X123 successfully driving a 5W at 667mA and being in regulation even from the start.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thx Doug for chimming in - but doesn´t the use of a single Li-Ion change the picture a little ? It should be able to provide higher currents at less voltage drop and therefore be not as challenging to the chips input current limits ? I´m just **speculating** here though and you and Chris will hopefully set me straight.

Let me make my sometimes confused writing a bit clearer - you and Chris discussed the 1/3W LS ~ LT1618 ~ 123cell setup quite nicely in the other thread - now my **new** follow-up question is about a 5W LS ~ LT1618 ~ Li-Ion.

I would hope that using the same methods you both had been demonstrating there and which I obviously lack you could come up with some proposal for a good compromise current setting where the chip still runs in some **happy** mode and doesn´t get taxed beyond the sense-making boundaries.

Thanks again

Klaus

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thx Doug,

one more question though - would I **guestimate** somewhat correctly that using one LiIon vs 2x123 should give not too different results as the higher voltage of the 2 123 cells will get dragged down to a not much higher level than the single Li-Ion while the Li-Ion will still be able to supply higher currents without as much drop ?

Interestingly the KL4 circuit will run at the same brightness level with both setups while drawing approx 50% more current from the LiIon - I´m not so sure about the LS3 / LT1618 setup due to the drivers input current limitations and it might make more sense to use 2 123s though - even when the use of rechargeable Li-Ions is very tempting for a DIY LS3 for me too.

BTW - I think I´ll go with that 500ma setup then and hopefully I´ll find a LS which is nice and white at this drive level.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.