xm-l2 u3 3a tint

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like willbuying dot com has the u3 xml2's in at 3a tint. I am guessing 3a is 5000k neutral, and a touch on on the green side?

See the u3 already in the Amytech Baracuda. Not seen a color shot of the beam that is telling.

Dx has horrid, 8500 K U3 xml2. They look like seconds.

Cutter emailed me. "none yet", about a two months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f29BoCNUrvE Could use a translator. But looks like a big step up from a xml t6. Logically, %15 + %15 + %20, or %45 brighter than a xml t6--provided my assumptions are right.

So, I am guessing these should be soon widely available. I wonder what time table the vendors have heard.

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
U3 flux bin has been around for a while but only in very limited supply and in cool/green tints. 3A bin is neutral but more towards the red than the green side so it should be a perfect tint. I'm not sure if I'd trust that website though, as no one else is selling neutral XM-L2 higher than T6 flux bin. How does this unheard of Chinese based retailer get new products before everyone else?

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most Chinese vendors lie about flux bins. Besides they show a sticker and it says that it actually is XM-L2 U3 1C. Still nice.

24pkj1f.jpg

RoGuE_StreaK

Enlightened
Looking at the rest of the emitter listings, I'm gonna say that the "3A" isn't actually the tint binning but it's Amp rating; for example, the XT-E R5 is listed as "5W 1.5A", and these U3's are listed as "10W 3A"
Though as phantom said, a few of the listings show a packaging photo listing 1C, so maybe you'll actually get 1C, or maybe that's just some random picture they found?

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most Chinese vendors lie about flux bins. Besides they show a sticker and it says that it actually is XM-L2 U3 1C. Still nice.

24pkj1f.jpg

Okay, I see. the 3A is the amp. Just my brain assumed this was redundant, since they state 10 watt. 1C tint should be the tint.

I see xmlbwt is the xml2 order code. The fact that their video shows a trade show demo; the fact they put the photo of the shipped package; the other youtube video showing that these do exist in the wild; the fact that these beasts will come, and the time seems nigh (even to cutter, which still lists out of stock); all this does appear credible.

:sssh:They accept paypal. I would assume paypal offers protection beyond charges above the six dollars. Though, I never heard of them before. :anyone:

Last edited:

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must report, willbuying shipped the led immediately, and package arrived in under a week! Also, the case for latest fasttech order of reflectors. A package from China in something close to under a week, really creeps me out!

It will be a few weeks more before I probably will get time to solder the star, heatsink it, and connect to the buckpuck, and compare the candela and diffused candela to the warmer leds in a comparable 26 mm p60 reflector.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha, two years. I finally put this led into a headlamp. Probably, be another two before putting my xpl v6 into something.

The tint is surprising. Very neutral, renders reds and yellows awesome. Rivaling the 4D 4000k. Blowing away the 2012 xpgr5 color. Though, a tad washed out on a light bluish green wall. Wood furniture color rendering is the bomb.

At 700ma cc to led, I am measuring 286 ish lumens with a diffused lux comparison to my fenix lights. Not too bad since I didn't have any AR 41 mm glass lenses (used plastic lexan) and I suspect I botched the thermal path by not adding enough zinc to my 5min epoxy-hoping to get Arctic epoxy characteristics on the cheap.

Last edited:

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Correction. I do see several fastech t6 4c neutral purchase in my order history-probably more than I used. I suspect not the u3, despite remembering putting the u3 in this specific compartment of the craft organizer. Just Too warm!..

Also, measuring my heat sink, it is in line with other builds' heat dissipation. Perhaps, since I am heat sinking to both the head and to computer heatsink, at 700 ma, the heat sinking is working fine. Just hardly warm to touch...So, I used %25 zinc to Dr bob smith 5 min epoxy. Next time I might try 50% zinc. A small amount of zinc really slowed jbweld, but not this bsi 5min.... Epoxy zinc paint is a common industrial steel paint, but I have never used it. Common, until you try to buy it. I think the WPA, or is it the EPA, is down on zinc.

I got a silly question. Is it possible that a larger lens, of same material, may have a lower light loss than a smaller lens-like air through a larger filter? Or each optical imperfection matter less? Probably not, but how about more tolerance to scratches, dirt and dust per lumen drop?

Last edited: