Flashlights cheaper than matches in 1917

georget98

Enlightened
Article from August 1917 Electrical Experimenter magazine. (Sorry about the volume control)

1917.png

archimedes

Flashaholic
Very interesting ... run-time testing, battery analysis, comparisons to fire-on-a-stick, and all :)

Last edited:

LGT

Enlightened
Interesting indeed. I enjoy a post that will lead one to find out the history of what the subject matter is. Curious to know how you stumbled upon this article?

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
To me some clarification is desired. What did the author mean about a "Tungsten battery"? So far as I know all flashlight batteries of that era were carbon zinc, the classic flashlight battery chemistry notorious for leaking as it aged as the outer case was zinc which was chemically decomposed as the battery power was used up. The only item containing tungsten in a light of the time was the incandescent light bulb. By that era the tungsten filament had replaced the original carbon filaments in incandescent bulbs.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
To me some clarification is desired. What did the author mean about a "Tungsten battery"? So far as I know all flashlight batteries of that era were carbon zinc, the classic flashlight battery chemistry notorious for leaking as it aged as the outer case was zinc which was chemically decomposed as the battery power was used up. The only item containing tungsten in a light of the time was the incandescent light bulb. By that era the tungsten filament had replaced the original carbon filaments in incandescent bulbs.

[SIZE=+1]~ 1911, Eveready was selling a new battery they called the "Tungsten Battery". The battery did NOT contain tungsten, but was simply NAMED that to mirror the new tungsten filament bulbs it was to be used to power.[/SIZE]

:D

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
Thanks TEEJ;

Out of curiosity what were Eveready battery prices for a D cell back in this era? Ialways enjoy learning historic trivia :thumbsup:

wjv

Enlightened
I would disagree with their "600 one second flashes" = "60 ten second flashes" premise

In-cans use more energy when you first switch them on. As they heat up the current draw decreases.

Seems to me that "60 ten second flashes" would actually be more efficient than "600 one second flashes"

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I would disagree with their "600 one second flashes" = "60 ten second flashes" premise

In-cans use more energy when you first switch them on. As they heat up the current draw decreases.

Seems to me that "60 ten second flashes" would actually be more efficient than "600 one second flashes"

LOL

You'll need to go back in time, and edit the article.

:D

As the article is CLEARLY a poof piece, and designed to sell flashlights, its not worth worrying about the math.