Brief review -- M10 Maverick

peterparker20

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone -- just to update my thread initially, which was about personal safety.

I ended up going with the Olight M10 Maverick.

Having never owned an LED flashlight, now that it arrived, yes it's quite laughable to use one for any defensive purposes other than maybe temporarily blinding someone.

The M10 Maverick has a strike bezel, but it's not sharp remotely -- probably good so it doesn't tear up my pants. I'd be surprised if this thing COULD actually break open a car window, but you never know.

This thing is smaller than expected, and it feels nice to carry about a sturdy piece of aluminum.

I was ultimately deciding between this, the Eagletac D25LC2 Clicky, the Nitecore SRT3, and the Nitecore MH1C.

All are pocketable and are tail clickies, yet seem like they can pump out the lumens.

The Maverick is the only one that doesn't reach 500 lumens or more --- but the thing that sold me was the interface. As far as I know, the Olight series (M10 and M18) are the only lights that can cycle through the modes rapidly using one hand. One tap is momentary memory, two taps is brightest, and three quick taps is near-instant strobe. So if you leave the lowest setting in memory you can effectively start in any mode but medium instantly. (and let's be honest, how many people use medium?). The other high-powered lights require bezel or ring twisting, which seems like it requires two hands.

The low mode is 5-10 lumens with an RCR so not exactly moonlight --- however it does have some glow in the dark specs around the inner bezel oddly ... which technically probably put out 0.0001 or so forth lumens if you ran out of batteries in an absolutely pitch black elevator.

Anyway in case anyone's wondering, I also ultimately paired this with an ASP palm defender (miniature, unassuming aluminum pepper spray rod that attaches to keychain) in case some mugger tries to mug me or break into my apartment again. (and some bigger sh** for the house). Some kid just stopped a gunman on June 5th (two days ago) ... using some pepper spray.

Probably not as effective as a gun, but I live in Chicago where it's tough to obtain and carry one in many places, so I'll be sticking with this Mav, ASP, and most importantly, some common sense and avoidance.