Looking to upgrade my necklace light.

Jacklight

Newly Enlightened
Looking to upgrade my Eos a3, that's hung on my neck for 1 1/2 years. I would actually like as small as possible light with at least 2, or 3 outputs, maybe 5 lumens and a high. My EOS comes on in low, which I prefer. Really don't want rechargeable, but would consider it. The perfect light in my mind would be AAAA version of the ITP, but I am open minded.
I almost pulled the trigger on a quantum d2 awhile back, but held out, mainly because of the recharge thing. I am afraid when I really need it, it will be dead. Hopefully there is something like that, that takes primaries. If not I might rethink the D2. Anybody have one? Anything good or bad to say about it?
On a side note, it will hang on a stainless chain next to a 4 way medal. The ITP ended up there sorta by accident, I put it on one day and forgot to take it off. I don't even notice it on there. Since the necklace is always on me, it has lived there, with the original clip, for over 1 1/2 years. The clip now has almost zero plating and surprisingly hasn't rusted. Makes me wonder what its made of. Amazingly, it might be brass! The flashlight has most of the ano.
My budget is 50, so double that and make it 100, heh heh.

Thanks for any input,

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would avoid going the AAAA route,expensive and difficult to find.As the above chap Zeruel says the Klarus would do nicely.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
You could also wonder over to MBI's sub - forum here and check out their version of teeny.

:)

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMG0001-4.jpg

Scratch & his 10180 Peak Eiger​

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Endeavour (Muyshondt lights) just announced a new run of Titanium Makos - over in the Titanium custom BST sub forum

i love my Muyshondt Aeon (CR2 powered) as a neck light.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I know this takes a rechargeable 10180, but ven really likes his DQG SPY, there is also the brass version, I think... fairy

Few pics as received today:D and love it,great light and so so small,i knew it was tiny but it still took me by surprise :laughing:

Bust O ring and not easiest job tbh to fit a spare,now i know why you get 4 O rings :laughing:

Spare cells and a case for an adapter of spare cell carry

How small

In the mouth of the tk61vn

Charger proved a little awkward on laptop for moving,so set it up on kitchen side after this pic

Love the DQG simple UI ,head loose,tighten a little for low,fully for high............great i like!!

trit

radiopej

Enlightened
I've put a FourSevens Atom AL on my birthday list for this purpose. I'm hoping it's not too big, but I really liked the dual modes, the pure flood and the magnet at the back.

I've currently got a Kathmandu light on my neck (like a Streamlight Nano). It's useful, but I'd like to be able to have more brightness. Since your light is bigger than my current one, maybe the Atom will feel smaller for you.

Jacklight

Newly Enlightened
OK, I ordered a DQG Spy, and the USB charger also from CNQualitygoods. Is Cottonpicker's charger better, or safer than that USB one they sell? I also ordered a couple spare batteries batteries, are they good quality and capacity? I figured for 2 bucks I'd try them, but if there is better I might get some.
And one more question, I did a search for MBI and it came up with some threads, but I didn't find a sub forum or any small lights. is it possible to post a link?
Oh yeah one more thing, I didn't see any 10180 Peaks on their website, are they still being sold somewhere. Does Scratch like his?
Thank you all for the input, I appreciate it. Probably not done upgrading yet!

Poppy

Flashaholic
OK, I ordered a DQG Spy, and the USB charger also from CNQualitygoods. Is Cottonpicker's charger better, or safer than that USB one they sell?

Good for you! I think that it makes for a nice piece of jewelry :thumbsup:

If you don't get a response to your questions, I know that both yoyoman and ven have the Spy, and multiple chargers. I'm sure that if you PM them, they'll get back to you.

Poppy :)

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
And one more question, I did a search for MBI and it came up with some threads, but I didn't find a sub forum or any small lights. is it possible to post a link?
MBI (Match Box Instruments) flashlights are made by CPF member the_guy_with_no_name. He doesn't have his own sub-forum but if you go to his profile, it is easy to find the threads he has started.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several sub-AAA lights. The 10180 lights are very small, but the the runtime on high is a compromise. Not an issue for me for 2 reasons. First, i don't expect long high output runtime from these lights. Second, runtime on lower levels is quite acceptable. The compromise of size over runtime is acceptable to me. And it is easy to carry an extra cell because they are so small.

The new 10250 lights (e.g. MBI, Peak, etc.) are still small and have longer runtimes. Still won't run all night, but longer than a 10180.

I use 3 chargers with good results. The charger that came with the Quantum DD, the charger that came with the Tain Ottavino 10280 and cottonpickers octa. Cottonpickers charger is very versatile, reasonable and uses a a good charging algorithm.

Another option is 1/3 NiMH cells. I can get them in Europe and I assume they are available in the States. Not as much juice, but more capacity.

Sub-AAA lights are great. Very small, high output and I enjoy the precision. But I confess that my EDC is now the Tain Ottavino AAA. The output isn't blinding, but it is very useful. Small enough for EDC, useful light and long runtime on an Eneloop. But not not a necklace light.

The DQG Spy is on my keychain with an extra cell. Small and bright (with a neutral tint). What else can you ask for?

Last edited:

Jacklight

Newly Enlightened
So I ordered the DGQ Spy from CNQualitygoods.com and its been five days and I haven't recieved any E-mail from them. It was a paypal transaction and that went through in moments. The recipients name was in Chinese. Is it normal to not hear anything? I have tried to log into my account there but apparently I have forgotten both my user name and my password, or something else is going on. Anybody have any experience with this company?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this takes a rechargeable 10180, but ven really likes his DQG SPY, there is also the brass version, I think... fairy

Wow, that looks really cool. My smallest is a 4sevens Atom A0, but that looks a lot smaller. I don't like the odd battery requirement, but I suppose that's required for such a small light. Might be worth ordering one.

Jacklight

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking if the battery will last a month it shouldn't be too much hassle. I'll just stick in a fresh battery every 2 weeks, and if I forget for a week it will still be good. The A3 Eos lasted easily 3 months and I had plenty of time after that where it would come on low, but not high. Hopefully this behaves as nice and doesn't just quit altogether when the battery gets low. Assuming everything is kosher with my order..

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I ordered the DGQ Spy from CNQualitygoods.com and its been five days and I haven't recieved any E-mail from them. It was a paypal transaction and that went through in moments. The recipients name was in Chinese. Is it normal to not hear anything? I have tried to log into my account there but apparently I have forgotten both my user name and my password, or something else is going on. Anybody have any experience with this company?
That sounds about right. I ordered my Spy on February 17 and did not receive an email that I can recall or find until the 24th with tracking information. It shipped the following day.