Personal Area Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtginc

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I posted here awhile back about some DIY projects. Since then I've learned Solidworks and my company has produced a consumer product. We call it the R-PAL.

I just thought I'd share because I think it is neat. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

And just so there is no suspicion -I'm also cross posting on the Marketplace, but my goal here is to share information and not to shill. Please forgive me if it comes off that way.

Here is a photo of what we ended up with:
gorillapod.jpg

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your photo doesn't seem to be showing, hopefully this should help:
gorillapod.jpg

rtginc

Newly Enlightened
so, what is shown in the picture are the dual 1/4-20 "tripod" attachments we've placed on both ends of our device. there are 3 LED's placed every 120 degrees and they provide full 360 degree coverage.

we're running about 300mA through each LED, and depending on the brightness level you can achieve anywhere between 2 and 300 hours of on time.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing new about that,seen 360 degree work lights before.They were selling them a couple of years ago to builders working in properties with the mains power off.

rtginc

Newly Enlightened
That might be true, but were they this small? The unit is 1.6" in diameter x 4" inches long and weighs less than 5 ounces.

It also has 15 logarithmic brightness settings, where the brightness setting is retained between on / off cycles. There's stuff like automatic shut off as well. The custom integrated circuit inside behaves both as a power management unit and micro controller.. and is 4mm on a side.

AFAIK there is nothing on the market that can do everything that this thing can in the same format.

Are you sure your 360 degree work lights also do those things? :)

rtginc

Newly Enlightened
Also, I'm mostly posting here because I think the product is neat. I won't deny that there are other solutions out there. I'm just sharing!

Some additional information:

- In order to dissipate the heat dissipation from the LEDs we are using custom boards from sinkpad. They are roughly 4-6x as large as the typical aluminum LED boards that you would find in your normal single 18650 cell flashlight.

- our fixture is water tight. we're using a combination of overmold and o-rings to achieve this. at first we thought that a metal chassis would be superior, but it turns out that it would weigh more and we would have had even more difficulty sealing the buttons.

- our control board is just under an inch in diameter and is capable of switching up to 2A of current using our custom IC. if you were to assemble the same board using off the shelf components, you would need a micro, a power management IC, an inductor, and at maybe 2 large switches (in addition to your normal resistors and capacitors required to support your boost/buck circuit and ICs). not an easy feat, if i might say so myself.

rtginc

Newly Enlightened
These are some of the numbers we achieved using the following setup:

- 3 x CREE XLamp XB-D LEDs
- 1 x Panasonic 18650B

SETTING HRS
1 300
2 218
3 171
4 120
5 92
6 63
7 48
8 32
9 24
10 16
11 12
12 8
13 6
14 4
15 3

Using the "flashing" mode, you can get up to 22 hours on the highest brightness setting, and 800+ hours on the lowest brightness setting.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
That might be true, but were they this small? The unit is 1.6" in diameter x 4" inches long and weighs less than 5 ounces.

It also has 15 logarithmic brightness settings, where the brightness setting is retained between on / off cycles. There's stuff like automatic shut off as well. The custom integrated circuit inside behaves both as a power management unit and micro controller.. and is 4mm on a side.

AFAIK there is nothing on the market that can do everything that this thing can in the same format.

Are you sure your 360 degree work lights also do those things? :)

The work lights were of course far larger and proved to be not a very good seller,i think we still sell them but i have not sold any in a while.From a personal point of view and as a collector i find your pictured light ugly and not to my taste but that is just my opinion and others may rush out to buy it.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it could use some kind of diffuser over those LEDs. Otherwise, the bright pin-points of light could be distracting as an area light.

rtginc

Newly Enlightened
This product is more for every day usage or camping, where a flashlight won't necessarily do the job. Imagine changing a tire at night, or providing light for camp at night. More lantern types of scenarios.

If you wanted to use it as a work light, it would likely be up to the task as well :)

About the looks - unfortunately, it is more a case of function over form. The ribs that run along the length of the unit are so that you can place the unit on an uneven surface and it will not roll. You can strategically place the device on a flat surface to cast light upwards as well.

And what better color to start off with customizing your device than white :twothumbs!

rtginc

Newly Enlightened
Additional lenses are in the works for that exact reason. I typically regard it as an ultra bright lantern (when at the higher brightness levels). At the lower brightness levels, the led's are not distracting at all.

Many a diaper has been changed at night under the light of an R-PAL :)

I think it could use some kind of diffuser over those LEDs. Otherwise, the bright pin-points of light could be distracting as an area light.

rtginc

Newly Enlightened
Here's another picture showing off the function of the side features. It's sitting next to an 18650 battery to show how much size we've added.

rpal-18650.jpg

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks good, i like it! If you could make a snap-on base so it would have a stable bottom to stand on when you don't have/want the tripod,it would be even better. Mini lantern.

Conte

Enlightened
I can guess what "PAL" stands for, but whats the "R"?

In Canada, the R-PAL is our enthusiast firearms license.

rtginc

Newly Enlightened
Looks good, i like it! If you could make a snap-on base so it would have a stable bottom to stand on when you don't have/want the tripod,it would be even better. Mini lantern.

Thank you Robert! We're in the process of making quite a few attachments. Namely a "shade" to reflect light downwards, and a flotation device that also serves as a diffuser.

dss_777

Enlightened
The lantern community (all eight of us) has been clamoring for an 18650 compatible, warm/neutral tinted product at 300+ lumens output. I know this is an "area light", but I just can't think of any other use for this that isn't a "lantern". Even as an automotive work light, it's still a lantern. I'm sure I'm missing something, I just don't know what it is.

This is very cool, and has promise, but to be honest, my concerns are several:

One, the light appears to be produced by bare-naked LEDs covered by a slight diffuser. Is the output evenly distributed over 360 deg.? This is one things lanterns are really good at, and why they're favored as area lights, IMO.

Second, how far does that light project? My 3 D-cell 300 lumens lantern will easily light up an entire room with usable light. How far does this light project with no reflectors?

OTOH, this has a drop-light kind of format, which is great to be able to dangle or hang it, something lanterns don't do quite as easily.

Third, that's a lot of money for a little lantern. How does that compare to the competition, both in lanterns and work lights? Kind of related to the first issue, I'm unclear what the target market is for this?

A random suggestion: consider adding a low profile articulated magnetic base that screws into the accessory mounting hole. It might make it a really great work light for cars or the shop.

I do appreciate the innovation, and hope this feedback helps in some way. I'll keep an eye on this. If you want to see what the lantern world is up to, head on over to the lantern sub-forum here. Take a close look especially at what Favourlight is doing- I think they represent the market leader in this domain.

Cheers!

rtginc

Newly Enlightened
I can guess what "PAL" stands for, but whats the "R"?

In Canada, the R-PAL is our enthusiast firearms license.

Our company name is RTG, Inc. so the semi-ambiguous naming convention would be the RTG, Inc. Personal Area Light :) But, we thought it would be amusing if everyone started to refer to it as "our pal" :rolleyes:

rtginc

Newly Enlightened
Hi dss_777. Thank you for your enthusiasm! These are very good observations. I'll try to address them all:

The lantern community (all eight of us) has been clamoring for an 18650 compatible, warm/neutral tinted product at 300+ lumens output.

I'm glad to hear! We specifically chose these LEDs for their warmer light. The CRI of the LED's that we use are 3000K. They are not "cool" whatsoever.

I know this is an "area light", but I just can't think of any other use for this that isn't a "lantern". Even as an automotive work light, it's still a lantern. I'm sure I'm missing something, I just don't know what it is.

Well, to be honest, you are correct. For all intents and purposes, it is a lantern. The reason that we call it a "personal area light" is that we do not wish to associate all the general negatives associated with lanterns such as the Rayovac Sportsman or Coleman Quad. Both of those lanterns are huge, use poor quality LED's, and frankly do not hold a candle :)rolleyes:) to our feature set.

One, the light appears to be produced by bare-naked LEDs covered by a slight diffuser. Is the output evenly distributed over 360 deg.? This is one things lanterns are really good at, and why they're favored as area lights, IMO.

Yes, the light is distributed evenly over 360 degrees. The projection angle of each LED overlaps so that light is distributed evenly. There may be noticeable artifacts on nearby surfaces due to internal reflection between the lens and the inner body, but you will absolutely not see any gaps in light.

Second, how far does that light project? My 3 D-cell 300 lumens lantern will easily light up an entire room with usable light. How far does this light project with no reflectors?

The R-PAL can easily fill a smallish (15x15) room with usable light at the lowest settings, and is definitely more than capable of providing extremely bright light at the highest settings. Distance wise, the light can easily project 20+ feet. In fact, I would hesitate to use the higher settings at anything but a reasonable distance -especially if this was the only source of light.

OTOH, this has a drop-light kind of format, which is great to be able to dangle or hang it, something lanterns don't do quite as easily.

We wanted a high functioning unit, which is why we put the dual 1/4-20 mounts on both ends, as well as the "balance" ribs on the sides of the unit. Also, something I haven't mentioned is that the ends (where the 1/4-20 attachments are) are actually concave by ~10 mils (at least that's how my models were designed, the EDM machine and injection mold guys might have lost a mil or two due to tolerance). The intent behind this was to provide an even more stable footprint when placed vertically.

Third, that's a lot of money for a little lantern. How does that compare to the competition, both in lanterns and work lights? Kind of related to the first issue, I'm unclear what the target market is for this?

Yes, it is quite a bit of money. However, we are using high quality parts across the board and having it built right here in California. We also manufacture the IC that is used inside the device, which is not an inexpensive process. Given that, the base price of the BOM is quite high, and we have to add the assembly costs. HOWEVER, I think I can reduce the price for the CPF crowd using a discount code on our site if you guys are interested. I don't want to turn this thread into a sales sort of thing, but I can start another one elsewhere.

As far as comparison goes, I do not think we really fit into a direct blow-for-blow market. There are miniature lanterns, such as the ones from Black Diamond -but frankly they are already bigger than our product and their light output pales in comparison. They also do not incorporate adjustable brightness. Goal Zero has so neat stuff based on similar technology, but again their product is huge and the light output also suffers greatly. Coleman and Rayovac are also poor comparisons because they are so large and suffer in light output. Our product is almost the size of one of their D-Cells (okay, it's bigger, but not by a whole lot), and they require 3-4 of them.

The biggest difference is that we're using a custom built integrated circuit. We are handling the LED driver side of things as well as the micro controller functions (auto shutoff timer, brightness adjustment, low battery indication and strobing modes). Our device is pretty efficient compared to everyone else. We're getting more lumens for longer periods of time with less battery capacity and more LEDs. The 18650 is, of course, also the big difference.

The main market is flashlight users who aren't using the right tool for the job, as well as lantern users who just want to lighten their load and get more bang for their buck. A powerful, pocket sized lantern to replace all other lanterns (within reason).

A random suggestion: consider adding a low profile articulated magnetic base that screws into the accessory mounting hole. It might make it a really great work light for cars or the shop.

Already in the works :) We're trying to make this thing super functional. The idea was to be able to mount it sideways on a metal panel (such as the side of your car, or a fusebox). I definitely appreciate the input though!

Again, thank you for your comments! I will head over to the lantern forum and take a peek -it looks as if we still have lots to learn about the lantern world.

jcs0001

Newly Enlightened
I quite like the concept and the light looks good. I've been using a black diamond lantern with 4 duraloops daily for several years - it does ramp up and down but having an 18650 would be great. Yours looks to be brighter smaller and more convenient.

Good work.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.