Cutting/Trimming noctigon

Double Barrel

Enlightened
Hello, I am just getting into the modding side of our hobby. Currently working on a novatac 120 edc. I am looking at my options for LEDs and how I want to mount it. My question is if I had a 16mm XP noctigon, can I cut it down parallel to the + & - connection pads? Possibly up to maybe even including the + & - symbols of the board, leaving just the center section of the pad with connection points intact, of course.

pe7e5uzy.jpg

bushwhacked

Newly Enlightened
Absolutely. If you happen to expose the + or - traces just make sure they don't come into contact with anything. You could even cut the traces too, just take off the top layer, again watch for shorts. Test for continuity between the star and + - as you get very close.

Double Barrel

Enlightened
Absolutely. If you happen to expose the + or - traces just make sure they don't come into contact with anything. You could even cut the traces too, just take off the top layer, again watch for shorts. Test for continuity between the star and + - as you get very close.

Awesome! Thank you. I wanted to be sure. Just from looking at it, I couldn't see any reason I couldn't. Just wasn't sure there wasn't anything hiding inside that wasn't as obvious as the "traces" .. I didn't know the technical name for that part of it.

Double Barrel

Enlightened
Ok.. Well, I'm afraid to try to reflow one. I've never attempted an led swap, much less mount one myself to an mcpcb. I'd much rather have a pro do that for me.
I think I'll take my chances and try to protect the led somehow. Tape a lid or something over it?

bushwhacked

Newly Enlightened
If you have something that can fit over it and you're confident that this won't actually hurt the led more then taping it will work. Whenever I solder leads to the pads and use flux I use a bic pen cap. This avoids spatter. Just cut the cap and the tape you use should seal the hole left from cutting it down. (I'm sure you don't want a witches hat over the led while you're working)

Double Barrel

Enlightened
Alright, I really appreciate the advice and you taking time to help me out here. Gonna place an order tonight. I have the light taken apart and led already out. I needed some confirmation before I placed an order.
I've saw the 8mm board and I believe it would work with this particular mod as well, but I think this would give better heat dispersion having more material for contact...maybe. ...and I won't have to do any reflowing. I can't find an XP-L on an 8mm.
Thanks again

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Don't worry DB. You'll get the hang of reflow. It's pretty darn easy once you get the right tools to make the job easy. I used to always freak out having to guess how much solder to put on the MCPCB pads prior to reflowing but once I watched vinh's "trick" of pushing down on the lens all excess molten solder just pops right out. I guess I was worried the LED would not self centering with minimal solder but as it turns out too much solder is actually worse.

BTW if you modify any MCPCB make sure you take a multi meter and check for continuity to the base. If either the + or - pads are shorted to the base you will most likely fry your driver or your LED and will if nothing else get strange behavior from your driver. It's a lesson you probably don't want to learn the hard way. Believe it or not it's a build practice you should probably take to heart with every job. Once you have a "bad" MCPCB Artic Silvered or permanently attached you wont make that mistake again. And yes you can get a bad new MCPCB right out of the sealed factory baggie. Been there, done that.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've saw the 8mm board and I believe it would work with this particular mod as well, but I think this would give better heat dispersion having more material for contact...maybe. ...and I won't have to do any reflowing. I can't find an XP-L on an 8mm.

FWIW: The 8mm XP boards I bought still needs minor filing to fit in the Novatac 8mm hole. The DATA XM-L 8mm boards are a PERFECT fit.

Double Barrel

Enlightened
Thanks for the info. I'm wanting to try an xpl. Hopefully I'll do ok cutting the board down to size, without getting into the traces and causing a problem. I can't find any 8mm for xpl.
How do you like the XML mod? I have a few more to work on if this first one goes ok. May try an xml2 in one. Where do you get the 8mm DATA boards? Better yet, the xpl?