Homemade Fraen LP holder

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought I'm make a post about a simple way to make a Fraen LP optics holder. I use 3/4" diameter copper pipe. Cut a piece off with a pipe cutter, .5 long. Give or take a few thousanths of an inch. Use a Luxeon Star emitter on a plate of aluminum. Place the Fraen LP on the emitter, and place the holder over the optics. Epoxy in place.

Here are a few pics of the beginning of a triple 3W Maglite mod:

Fraen_LP_Holder.1.jpg

Fraen_LP_Holder.2.jpg

I'll post more pics as I go along.

Wayne j

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need to mount a couple of emitters close together for a lantern mod. I want to use dual LPs. This should work nicely. Thanks.

BTW, how does the 30 degree blend with the 6 degree? Is that what you're after with this mod?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Looks like it self-centers the Fraen LP as well, depending on the exact ID of the copper tubing...

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back to the plumber's copper pipe bone yard again? Oh well, once a Modder always a Modder.

Nice idea. Nice workmanship. Nice photography.

Staying tuned. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Lux Luthor said:
I need to mount a couple of emitters close together for a lantern mod. I want to use dual LPs. This should work nicely. Thanks.

BTW, how does the 30 degree blend with the 6 degree? Is that what you're after with this mod?

[/ QUOTE ]

The 30 degree wide angle, combined with two narrow beams, is really nice. You get close up area light, and still long distance light. I used the wide angle Fraen LP as that was what was laying around. I may or may not use it in this light? I'll be making another aluminum sink too. I just wanted to show have this copper pipe idea works, for those who want to use the Fraen LP in their mods. I've know about this method for a long time, and have used it quite a bit in mods of times past.

I have a few Anglelux mods to do today, and I'll use this method. I'll take some pics and post them.

Wayne j

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Looks like it self-centers the Fraen LP as well, depending on the exact ID of the copper tubing...

[/ QUOTE ]

When you cut the copper pipe with a pipe cutter, leave the lip the is a result of the cutting. The lip holds the optics in place, and centers the optics, as you are saying. Even if you cut the pipe too short, it's okay, as the epoxy fills in the gap. Works quite nicely. Painting the inside of the pipe optics holder white may help reflect out a little more light?

Wayne j

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finished a Luxeon Star LED heat sink assembly, slated for an Anglelux. I used a 1W Luxeon Star LED, part # LXHL-PW01, a Fraen LP optics, and the optics holder I made. I epoxied the holder onto the sink, thus holding the optics firmly in place.

Fraen_LP_Holder.3.jpg

I'm taking these photos to show a way of how to use the Fraen LP optics. Because they do not come with an optics holder, mounting them can be difficult. This is an easy way to do it. Not the only way, of course.

Any comments by others on how they use the Fraen optics?

Wayne j

Lightmite

Newly Enlightened
One thought is using a cover glass lens holder combo. this could have mounting ring sandwiched between cover and a piece of lexan cut to be flush against fraen, therefore holding the lens in place. This is more applicable to a certain types of housings/bodies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Lightmite said:
One thought is using a cover glass lens holder combo. this could have mounting ring sandwiched between cover and a piece of lexan cut to be flush against fraen, therefore holding the lens in place. This is more applicable to a certain types of housings/bodies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have tried this. Works nice.

Wayne

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's some further pics of the process of mounting the Fraen optics in a flashlight:

Fraen_LP_Holder.4.jpg

And finally, finished Anglelux's, headed for good homes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fraen_LP_Holder.5.jpg

Wayne j