Review: Imalent DD2R XM-L2 LCD Touch Display Flashlight

JohnnyMac

Newly Enlightened
Imalent DD2R XM-L2 LCD Touch Display Flashlight
*DD2R graciously provided for review by Imalent

Manufacturer Specifications

* One handed side clicky operation
* Variable Tint Touch Controlled
* Backlit touch screen panel facilitates convenient and discreet and infinite brightness adjustment, adjustable tint
* Utilizes CREE XM-L2 (U2) LED
* Uses microcomputer controlled efficient algorithm, resulting in run time up to 200 hours
* Support one pcs rechargeable Li-ion 18650 battery, two pcs primary CR123A or RCR123A batteries
* Toughened ultra-clear mineral glass with anti-reflective coating
* Aluminum alloy reflector – increased throw distance achieved from sophisticated geometric design parameters
* Aerospace-grade T6063 aluminum alloy, military grade type III hard-anodized
* Size:149mm*36mm*25.4mm

20140707_200739_002.jpg

1-14112Q40Ja95.jpg

Let's take a look at what buying a DD2R will get you. As usual, clicking on any of my photos will open a larger version in a new window.

^ The DD2R arrived in a nice retail package with information and specs on the light.

^ Inside is a clear plastic tray that securely holds the DD2R on the top half as well as a charging cable, spare O-rings, and holster. A very nice manual is included along with a warranty card.

^ Here is everything out of the packaging.

^ The holster is made of sturdy nylon and includes a D-ring for clipping to a bag or pack along with the usual belt loop and Velcro loops. Like every Imalent light I have reviewed, the closing flap is too short, leaving a good bit of Velcro exposed. Fortunately the DD2R's closing flap is long enough to hold securely. I do wish they would correct this on all their lights with enclosed sides and longer closing flaps.

^ The USB charging cord included works best with a 1A (or higher) wall wart/car charger but will also charge the DD2R from a computer USB port (albeit a bit more slowly).

^ The Warranty Card

^ The User Manual. One side is in English and the other is in Chinese.

^ The DD2R arrives with a small silica packet inside the battery tube to ensure that the light is free of any moisture.

^ The control screen arrives with a protective plastic film.

^ The bezel and switch buttons are anodized aluminum with a nice matte, naturally colored finish. I love it as it feels as if it is made of stone.

^ A really nice, smooth reflector sits over the Cree XM-L2 emitter.

^ On the side of the head, opposite the display screen, are the switch and charging port as well as the "Imalent DD2R" laser etching.

^ The ribbing surrounding the base of the head breaks up the angular cuts on the rest of the head. The DD2R is a single piece unit with a tail cap and bezel.

^ Battery tube and tail cap have clean knurling but the knurling on the tail cap does appear to be a bit deeper than that on the battery tube. I would like to see the knurling of the tail cap throughout the rest of the light.

^ The tail cap allows the DD2R to tail stand nicely.

^ The flats machined into the head provide good anti-roll stops.

^ The fins cut into either side of the head provide for extra heat sinking. There is a lot of mass in the head of the DD2R.

^ The power switch is electronic and has a good click feel to it. The power input jack is mounted in an anodized base for perfect symmetry with the power button.

^ The laser etching for the Imalent logo and model name is about the best I've seen on any flashlights. Clean, deep, and consistent.

^ The bezels threads are the only ones on the DD2R that aren't square. They are super smooth just like the others. The bezel seals with a nice O-ring that really grips the bezel solidly in the head. Behind the bezel sits the double-sided AR coated lens. The lens sits on another O-ring that sits on the ledge by the top of the reflector. When the bezel is tightened this O-ring is squashed and holds the reflector firmly in place while the O-ring seals against the lip on the inside of the head. It is a solid, waterproof design.

^ A black plastic centering ring/insulator keeps the Cree XM-L2 LED perfectly centered in the reflector. In the picture above you can just see the PCB for the power switch.

The wires feeding current to the LED are on the thin side. I feel the light could be brighter if there was less resistance in those wires.

^ The back of the forward part of the touch screen is visible in these head pics as well. There appears to be black electrical tape insulating the rear of the screen from the reflector.

^ Square threads throughout are nicely lubricated from the factory. The anodizing allows you to mechanically lock out the power with just a 1/4 turn of the tail cap. A heavy spring in the base of the tail cap gives low resistance and good contact with the cell.

^ I couldn't get any light into the tube but there is an spring at the back of the driver. Having springs at either end of the cell allow for excellent impact shock proofing.

^ I really like the natural color and matte finish on the bezel and buttons.

^ The anodizing through out the DD2R is, like all the Imalent lights I've had, a nice semi-flat finish and extremely even with all sections having the same color and thickness.

^ The charging port isn't the usual micro USB port. Instead it uses a round charging connector. You've probably noticed the dirt in some of the notches in the charging port ring and front bezel. This appears to be grease from the assembly process that was on the prongs of the spanner wrench.

^ The charging cable plugs in very snug and secure. Charging time depends on the output of your wall wart or 12V travel charger.

USER INTERFACE

^ The pics above give an idea of the size of the DD2R in hand. The power button controls both on and off as well as turns the display power on and off.

^ Sliding your thumb up on the touch display screen increases brightness and sliding it down reduces brightness.

^ Once output is set, clicking the power button turns off the display to prevent yourself from accidentally changing the output. Clicking it again will turn the display back on and allow you to adjust the output again.

^ The screen is basic but provides you with what you need to operate the light. Battery level indicator in the center of the display. Output level indicator bars above the IMALENT logo. A mode button at the bottom to engage Strobe and SOS modes.

OUTPUT & PERFORMANCE

One thing I noticed looking through Imalent's website is that many of their lights say "368 meters of throw" and I think they simply used a template when generating their stat photos and kept the same number as the DD4R (4*XM-L2). Do what I did and throw it out the window. I also believe they post emitter lumens and theoretical ones at that. With that in mind, lets take a look at the real output numbers based on my testing. They certainly were right about the DD2R being a good thrower. 284 meters is pretty good for a light this small. ;)

Testing equipment: I perform my OTF (Out The Front) lumen testing using an Integrated Sphere that has been calibrated using many known lights with accurate ANSI output figures. Lux and throw, depending on the light being tested, is measured @ 30 seconds run time at either 3m or 8.9 meters depending on the size of the light and converted back to the ANSI standard of 1 meter. Throw is calculated based on the 1m lux reading to 0.25 lux.

^ You can see just how nice the beam is on the DD2R. It is also properly regulated with zero visible PWM in any output level.

^ This pic was taken in broad daylight and you can see how bright it is by how dark the camera made everything else to compensate. In spite of the smooth reflector, the spill is really that smooth. In spite of how small in diameter the reflector is the hotspot is really that damned bright. I was shocked to find that my sample only measured around 700 OTF lumens. It seems WAY brighter than it is.

Imalent really kicked *** with the reflector in this because this little light throws a big 283.97 meters by my measurements. It is far less than the claimed 368 meters but my lux measurement is far greater than Imalent's claim of 16,860 cd. I'm not sure how they calculated the throw distance but by my math 16,860 cd makes just 269.69 meters to 0.25 lux. My measurements indicate 20,159.7 lux measured at 3 meters and converted back to 1 meter, and calculate throw to be 283.97 meters to 0.25 lux.

SIZE COMPARISONS

^ From left to right: Olight S20 Baton, Convoy S2JM, Eagle Eye X6 SE, Imalent DD2R, Crelant V6CS

^ From left to right: Olight S20 Baton, Convoy S2JM, Eagle Eye X6 SE, Imalent DD2R, Crelant V6CS

PROS

• Excellent machining and finish
  • Great throw for it's size and a smooth spill for a smooth reflector
  • No visible PWM
  • Easy to use UI
  • Mechanical power lockout
  • Internal battery charging
  • Waterproof design
  • Tough, hard anodizing
  • Good heat sinking and thermal mass
  • Anti-roll flats
  • Tail stands nicely
  • Fantastic moon low of just 0.62 lumens
  • Dual-sided AR coating on lens
  • Great laser etching
  • Heavy cathode spring in tail cap for low resistance.

CONS

• Knurling on tail cap is a tad deeper than the knurling on the body.
  • Thin anode spring at driver
  • Measured OTF output far below the manufacturer's claimed output of 1065 lumens.
  • Reliability of touch screen remains to be seen with long term use.
  • No wall wart charger included.

CONCLUSION

Not only is the Imalent DD2R a good looking light, its performance matches it's looks. The unique touch screen/backlit display is unique among its competitors and adds great flash and bling to folks who like the latest tech. The Touch panel UI isn't for everyone but it is easy to use, very intuitive, easy to read, and will definitely make onlookers ask just what light you are using. Great range of output from a very low Moon level to a nice High mode and fantastic throw for a light its size coupled with zero visible PWM .makes it a winner. The ability to plug it in after use without needing a separate external charger will appeal to many users but its use of standard 18650 cells instead of proprietary cells means that the user can swap cells on the run and charge externally if they care to. Ability to use CR123 primary cells will appeal to others and give the DD2R an edge in emergencies.

While not a perfect light, the DD2R dares to be different and does it with great performance and true function. I have to respect that and therefore I can say it is Mac Approved.

14380230450_61201d19ff_z.jpg