TurboSpyder

SteveY

Newly Enlightened
I am considering getting a Turbospyder 10 leds flashlight.

The Turbospyder is a home made product and the 2 reviews on the Turbospyder 4 leds are not very good. According to Lightings.com who market the products, the producer is improving the flashlight all the times and the current model is better than the earlier one.

If anyone here recently acquire a 10 leds unit, I'd appreciate your comments.

The unit uses 5600mcd leds so it would make it the brightest Led flashlight next to the HDS.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I've got one and it works fine. The switch is actuated by a rubber button on top of it, which also has a travel distance, so needs a longer downstroke to activate it than some switches, and sometimes you can push down, not quite far enough, and it won't quite trip the switch - giving the impression the switch didn't work, but it does, you just have to push further a fraction of a millimeter... also you could probably lay a rubber sheet, (a 'dam' from the dentist's) over the works before screwing down the cover, and it'll be more water resistant, -- but I have yet to try this..

SteveY

Newly Enlightened
Ted

How is the brightness of this light compares with say the Eternal light or any other light for reference?

I am also interested in your feedback with its battery life and made.

Thank.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Steve-
I'm in two places at once lately - moving - but will try to compare it to a Lightwave, or something, soon...in the mean time you could read the comparison of the 10-LED Turbo to the HDS lamp, under it's own topic heading ("HDS") -

SteveY

Newly Enlightened
I read your post at Eternal light that the Turbo spyder draw 25m current and 40m current in turbo mode.

I thought 40m current draw is still within the acceptable tolerant of leds and should not shorten the life of it. If this assumption is correct, we should be able to use the turbo mode continuously, right?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

...well according to Brock's site, the 4 led Turbospyder draws 25 ma on regular, and 100 ma in turbo mode. So I am just guessing on the milliamp draw in the 10 led Turbospyder version...I see a few manufacturers, iirc, put 40 and 50 ma into their leds, and say that this may shorten the LED life by maybe 15% but, so what - 15% off of 100,000 hours won't be noticed...I don't recall where I read it, (HDS site maybe?) but they were discussing how if you over-amp the LEDs, when they become warm the color becomes noticeably bluer, and if you let them cool a little, you can repeatedly use them at that brightness for a limited time, with no permanent damage - that's why the "turbo" mode switch is a momentary switch.. anyone - Brock? - correct me on any of this, please...
.. the focus of the Turbospyder's hotspot is surprisingly tight considering the light is coming from a straight line of 10 LEDs in a row... they have been mounted very securely in ceramic, all evidently well-aimed with a beam shape similar to the PL-3 or Lightwave, only brighter.
Turbospyder site: http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/turbospyder/

[This message has been edited by Ted (edited 09-14-2000).]

Brock

Flashaholic
Hi Ted, I think you are correct. The led's might get more "blue" if used at 40+ ma for an extended period of time. Although Nichia has changed the design of the LED it has also changed the max MA that Nichia says is tolerable. In the first 5600mcd white it was 25ma max, then they did a little tweaking and then it was 40ma, last fall they came out with the style that is in all the white photons now, and it is rated at 50ma. So it could be that a lot of people have the older LED's and like to keep them at the rated max.

The biggest problem with overdriving the LED's is heat, so if the heat can be vented it isn't as much of a problem.

Hey Ted I still would love to see the 10 led Turbospyder in person
wink.gif

Brock - http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/led.htm

SteveY

Newly Enlightened
I have just received my turbo 10 and my 1st impression was "it so small!" I always thought that the light would be the same size as Eternal light 3 ergo but it is about 3/4" shorter , 1/2" shorter in width and 25% thinner than the E3.

It has a belt clip come standard with 2 holes on the belt clip attached with a lanyard. So with light balance horizontally when held up with the lanyard, neat!

The light is brighter than E3 but not double the intensity. So it is not as bright as the Expedition with 7 leds. However, with the turbo mode on, it matches the Expedition and with a larger area illuminated.

I have mentioned to Paul from lightings on my concern about the on/off switch from Craig's review and the manufacturer send me a spare switch and two pieces of battery contacts.

The light feels solid and I must say it is the brightest led light that I have for its size.

I think the light has been improved by the manufacturer over the earlier models that were reviewed by Craig and Brock.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Where can you order that Turbospyder 10, and what's the price? I've seen their website, but can't seem to find any info on the 10 or an order form or anything.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Get the 10 LED Turbospyder for
$64.95 from: http://www.lighthings.com
--from the lighthings site: "...This is the 10 LED model we just introduced you to. You can see how not one more LED can be squeezed into the case. The LEDs are solidly mounted, so you will never have to worry about the LEDs bending out of shape.
There is a manufacturer's one year warranty as well as our own 30 day money back guarantee.
Please take note of the excellent leather holster available for these lights. Thay have everything you could want in a holster and more, all for only $12.95 !..." Tell Paul&Linda at lighthings that Ted&Leon(my cat) sent ya! :>)

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Ted on 10-12-2000 at 02:45 PM</font>