Please help me identify this flashlight!

inhumangeek

Newly Enlightened
So I just ordered what was advertised (and from the pictures) as an Olight S10-L2, ie. the post-2013 model of the S10. See this excellent post for a comparison of old S10 and new S10.
What I have received doesn't exactly match either version.

I have attached some photos. The flashlight has:

• A hard, recessed, black button (the pre-2013 has a white soft button, post-2013 has a blue button)
  • All three modes plus moonlight, and strobe
  • The soft-lockout function (which the pre-2013 does not have)
  • A blue ring on the reflector (the post-2013 has red)
  • A smooth finish on the reflector (both previous models are textured)
  • The magnet in the tailcap.
  • The instructions and packaging show brightnesses etc which match the new version but I have no way to verify (i does seem pretty bright)

If seems like it is a new version which isn't on the Olight website (or, low probability, a fake - does such a thing happen?!).

So what do you think it is!? I need to send it back quickly if it doesn't seem right! Thank you!
2015-04-01%2019.06.15.jpg

2015-04-01%2019.06.33.jpg

2015-04-01%2019.07.02.jpg

2015-04-01%2019.29.46.jpg

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own a S10. But they do make fakes. Tons and tons of fakes, Olight is subject to this too.. But this is a guess.
Things that are suspect to me:
The fonts & Logo maybe. Just by looking at pics it is hard to tell, but the finish looks shiny and I see flaws in the finish. My Olights have zero flaws in the finish and are more of a matte look.
Olight uses a Red Oring in the bezel
I found a pic of your light on a Russian website. Only place I found it. Take that for what you will.

Post some pics of the light unscrewed so those who do own them can see the contacts and the threads. That may help narrow it down?

EDIT: I found this to help you

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...RCR)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO-and-more!

I also found this: So I may be wrong??? Looks like they did change the fonts???

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?388746-*new*-Olight-S10R-S15R-and-S20R

Need someone with a new model to chime in.

Last edited:

inhumangeek

Newly Enlightened
I found a pic of your light on a Russian website. Only place I found it. Take that for what you will.

Can you post the link please?

Post some pics of the light unscrewed so those who do own them can see the contacts and the threads. That may help narrow it down?

Here are some further photos (tricky to see down the tube) - they seem to be very similar to those on the article I linked to previously.

Thanks.

2015-04-01%2019.56.21.jpg

2015-04-01%2020.02.03.jpg

inhumangeek

Newly Enlightened
Just seen you update, thank you. Yes the blue ring does appear on the olight website too, and those photos do show the same font that's on mine.
The flaws you refer to I think are just dust/small crumbs from the worktop - looking again it is fairly flawless and well made...

inhumangeek

Newly Enlightened
More thoughts (sorry for the delays I am a newbie therefore moderated!)

The leaflet in the packaging is exactly the same style as that in the FB picture posted there... and the accessories - in particular the lanyard - all seem legit. If it is a fake then they've really gone to town!

UPDATE:
Not only this... the torch appears to be waterproof, and it has the glow-in-the-dark speckle in the blue ring - which is not advertised or generally commented upon in all the reviews/forums - I wouldn't expect a fake to have this.

I think I have convinced myself it is real, and is a new version, unless anyone has any further thoughts. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I find strange is that the switch is from an S10R but the body says "S10", and the tailcap is from an S10, not an S10R.

inhumangeek

Newly Enlightened
What I find strange is that the switch is from an S10R but the body says "S10", and the tailcap is from an S10, not an S10R.

Well, nearly all the S10-L2 reviews say how easily the switch can be accidentally pressed whilst in a pocket, bag, etc. Olight have understandably therefore changed the design for the S10R (it is now recessed slightly) and appears to have filtered it though to the non-rechargable range too... perhaps not that strange?

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps not, someone should e-mail Olight to confirm that. If true, I am much more inclined to buy a regular S10 over its rechargeable counterpart.

inhumangeek

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps not, someone should e-mail Olight to confirm that. If true, I am much more inclined to buy a regular S10 over its rechargeable counterpart.
Funnily enough I have just done that exact thing. I will report back when I get a response.

I like the look of the rechargeable one but given that I won't use mine that heavily (and therefore single-use batteries are more appropriate) I decided I would rather have the extra life (and waterproofness). Plus the additional cost!

chuckhov

Enlightened
Relax - It is Genuine.

Olight has this switch on their 'R' models, and gradually it is making it to all of the regular models now.

I have a Regular S15 that is just like your S10.

Now, if they would only fix that problem with the Sickly Green Tint:-(

Thanks,
-Chuck

Last edited:

inhumangeek

Newly Enlightened
Relax - It is Genuine.

Olight has this switch on their 'R' models, and gradually it is making it to all of the regular models now.

I have a Regular S15 that is just like your S10.

Now, if they would only fix that problem with the Green Tint:-(

Thanks,
-Chuck

Thanks Chuck, most helpful. Suspicions were only raised as the website doesn't seem to have kept up with the product!

inhumangeek

Newly Enlightened
Reply from Olight :

Hi Paul,

Thank you for contacting Olight. I had a good look at the pictures and I
can confirm that this is a real Olight. When the S10R came out we also
changed the button on the S10-L2 to the black recessed button. The logos
on your light are the newest version that we have. You have the newest
model of the S10-L2. Enjoy it!

Good customer service! I suggested that they update the product page:

Thank you for the suggestion. We will be updating the pictures of the non rechargeable models soon!

Last edited: