I received a PT blast and a rage and now.....

mylan

Newly Enlightened
I have to go find a xenon bulb for my Mag 2D. First I couldn't believe how much light comes of the rage. It's whiter and brighter as my Mag, although with a much shorter batterie life. The blast is much better than my minimags, no comparison. The clip makes it easy to use as a headlamp on a baseball cap. I bought them because of the good things I have read about them on this forum and I like them a lot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jbroker83

Enlightened
paulr---can I buy those GH88 bulbs from local stores or do I have to get them online???? I really would like to upgrade my 2D mag-lite, as I think it's very weak in stock condition! Thanks.

illumiGeek

Enlightened
Only place I've seen the GH88 is reflectalite. They are in the UK, but only charged me $2.90 shipping to Hawaii, and the order came fast (about a week). I have ordered from them a few times and have not had any problems.

Note that the GH88 is quite power hungry and rechargable NiMh batteries will probably give you better performance than Alkalines.

Also note that the lamp is available with a frosted finish (GH88F) that will produce a nice wide, smooth flood beam with enough of a hot spot to still give some decent throw.

If you want to juice up your 2D a bit more, do the 2D to 6AA mod and run the GH24 lamp with 6xAA NiMh. Be aware that that lamp is pushing the limits of the plastic Mag reflector, and you may damage the reflector if you run the light for an extended period.

illumiGeek

Enlightened
I've been meaning to try the GH24 on 3x123 Lithiums to see how long it will last. I have run it on 6xAA Lithiums and it is BRIGHT.

Haven't done any extended run tests on that set up yet, as I'm pretty sure the Mag reflector won't survive this lamp with that much over-drive for very long.

When my PMR arrives I'll give it the real "smoke test" and see how well it hadles a 50% over-drive. Experiments with other reflectalite lamps have been encuraging - they seem to handle extra power very well. I suppose I could pull out the Mag reflector if I just wanted to smoke test the lamp? Hmmm...

illumiGeek

Enlightened
Oh, and the Mag Xenon Star lamps also work very well, and are easier to find (Home Depot).

There are also a buch of threads on running 3 or 4 CR123 Lithium batteries in Mags with various other lamps. Do a search for 3x123 and you should find some info.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The only meaningful help for a 2D light is to stuff 3x123 via 1" PVC and 3/4" CPVC pipe and run a M*g Whitestar Krypton 5 cell or KPR112 from Radio Shack.

A 2C M*g makes a handier package, but the 2D works okay.

Otherwise get a M*g Xenon Star 2Cell Xenon bulb and it will be somewhat better.