Got my first "real" knife -- Large Sebenza

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my first \"real\" knife -- Large Sebenza

Well,

I put off buying an EDC knife for years because I have a small Spyderco key chain knife that has served me well, and also mostly because I hadn't found a company that stood out the way SF and Arc stand out in the flashlight world, but keep in mind that I hadn't done any research on the subject either. Then my brother clued me into the Benchmades, the McHenry Williams AXIS locks in particular: 705, 710, and I was interested in getting one of those for a couple years, but it just never "felt" right, both literally and figuratively. There was something I didn't like about the 705/710.

But then . . .

I learned about Chris Reeve Knives, and fell in love with the Sebenzas. I agonized over small vs. large for EDC for a couple days, but finally bit the bullet and bought and Large Regular Sebenza. I reasoned thusly: "why waste money on anything less than the best, since I know I'm going to end up there anyway?" I still sometimes think of the good money I wasted on Mags and Energizers and so on.

Let me just say . . . WOW. Simply amazing. The large Sebenza is a thing of beauty and function, and it even comes with the wrench to completely take it apart and clean it. Now that's the knife for me. And also, CRK as a company is right up my alley--great customer service. This knife is SHARP and cuts like nothing else I have used. The action is excellent and the lock is, as they say, like a "bank vault." No way this is going to unlock in use. I especially like the finger lug--much better than a hole and unsightly hump. Also, the large is not too large for EDC. I carry mine with me anytime I'm out of the house and I hardly notice it.

It is true. Buy one of these, and your interest in other folders will go away. Of course, you'll want to own more CRK's, so it's not a question of "saving" money, only a question of the best use of your money. I can't recommend this knife highly enough. I know it's expensive, but believe me it is worth it. You won't think about the money you spent when you have it; you will only think about how excellent a knife it is.

As for scratching it and being worried about using it . . . nah. It can be reconditioned by CRK at any time. No problem. It is a wonder, the height of both function and beauty. Well, actually the wood inlay Sebenzas are more beautiful. Maybe next year. A small classic woodie would keep my Large Sebbie company! BTW, by some quirk of fate, my sebbie has the same birthday as me!

Anyone else have a CRK?

K-T

*Moderator*
Re: Got my first

Congratulation to your excellent choice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif You can't go wrong with one of his knives. I don't have one of the CRK's and would like to handle one before buying.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah,

I can understand wanting to handle one before buying. I was a bit worried about how the bead blasted titanium handles would feel, but I figured if everyone almost universally raved about the sebenzas I wasn't likely to go wrong. Plus, the place I purchased from had a return policy.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

I have a Large Standard & a Large Classic with ebony & gold inlay. I EDC the Large Classic. I know you like your knife, but I think it'll grow on you when you see how well it holds an edge.

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just returned one of my small Sebenza's to CRK to take the scuffs out of the titanium handles and they returned it to me looking 100% brand new, resharpened and tuned-up for a grand total of $21.

What a deal! What a knife!

Marty

TOB9595

Enlightened

js..Congrats on a great Blade!!
The same Birthday is fateful, indeed.

Marty I love the avatar

Tom

DumboRAT

Enlightened

Congrats !

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CRK -
- Mayonized Lg. Reg. Sebbie, BG-42
- Lg. Reg. "Stars & Stripes"
- OD Green Kalguard Aviator

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Deanster

Enlightened

You've got the best. I bought my Sebenza on a bit of a whim - I'd read good things, and then saw one in my local knife shop on a really lousy day, and engaged in a bit of retail therapy.

I didn't realize that I was buying the last EDC knife I'd ever buy. It's ridden in my pocket nearly every day since, except for a few days when I throw on a Spyderco Rescue Jr. for the serrated edge - and I'm always amazed at how cheap and flimsy it feels.

I'd also like to be a Sebenza collector, but every time I look at them, I find myself thinking 'why?' - they're pretty and all, but having another one or a decorated one won't add a thing to my life. The one I have does everything I need it to do, and the week or so every other year that it gets sent to meet it's maker just serves to remind me how much I value it.

So, my regular small Sebenza, born in early 1998, is my only EDC knife, and will remain so until something radical or unfortunate happens to either me or it. I'm considerably more delicate, so I imagine it will outlast me - all I need to do is keep from dropping it overboard or something equally boneheaded.

As for price, I paid $320 for mine new, and have carried it for just short of six years - that amortizes out to $.15/day so far, and hopefully down to almost nothing by the time I'm done with it, or it's done with me.

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened

Like many others, I love my Sebbies. I feel that they are the best overall knives I have. I have some other well respected knives too, but the Sebbies are the complete package for me. I started with a large Stars and Stripes and ended up with a small Stars and Stripes as well. I have always felt good about my CRK knives and consider them $ well spent. These knives are pure function and utility but yet very attractive almost art like at the same time. Mine are users and it is great to know that I can send them back to CRK for a tune up when ever it is needed.

Geode

Enlightened

js,

Congratulations! I like the large too, but own and carry the small because it is so light and small. Probably why I EDC an Arc instead of an L4.

You are spot on about the quality of the knife and the CRK people. Their customer service is second to none. I am guessing this won't be your last CRK. Check out the Mnandi - for its size and weight, it has a ton of cutting power. The clip also is very low key and looks like that of a pen. Same CRK tough.